Sponsored Content
The Lounge War Stories Linus Torvalds reply about Meltdown and Spectre. Post 303011818 by wisecracker on Wednesday 24th of January 2018 04:18:05 AM
Old 01-24-2018
Linus Torvalds reply about Meltdown and Spectre.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum but...

...This is hard hitting stuff.

LKML: Linus Torvalds: Re: [RFC 09/10] x86/enter: Create macros to restrict/unrestrict Indirect Branch Speculation
These 4 Users Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

What the best HD format for Unix & Linus

Hello people, Im just about to install linux and unix but would like to know what the best Partition type format is for both of them. Can anyone tell me Thankyou in advanced (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

hard disk meltdown

I had an issue with a second hard disk in my machine. I have a sparc station running solaris 7. It was working fine but now it wont mount on boot up and when you try to mount it manually it gives an I/O error. I tried a different disk as a control which was fine. What I want to know is if my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henrik
3 Replies

3. News, Links, Events and Announcements

A Couple of Short Linus Torvalds Videos

This link is to a page that has two short videos that feature Linus Torvalds discussing the Linux kernel. After you watch the first video, scroll down some more to reach the second video. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Meltdown and Spectre CPU bugs

This seems a bit serious: Meltdown, Spectre: The password theft bugs at the heart of Intel CPUs • The Register Vulnerability Note VU#584653 - CPU hardware vulnerable to side-channel attacks Project Zero: Reading privileged memory with a side-channel (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
8 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 6.1, POWER5 and Spectre/Meltdown

Apologies for this newbie question. We have inherited an IBM p5 520 (9111-520) running AIX 6.1.0.0 which seems to be the base install and no further patches installed. Is this vulnerable to the Spectre/Meltdown threat? Are patches available? Looks like AIX 6.1.0.0 went 'end of support' in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_garbage
8 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.12.1 2008-04-04 URI::URL(3)