Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Fake MicroSoft calls
Special Forums Cybersecurity Fake MicroSoft calls Post 303011432 by Neo on Thursday 18th of January 2018 08:17:32 AM
Old 01-18-2018
I recall VoIP vulnerabilities over the years and for many years.

On another note, it is always important to keep in mind that (IT) RISK is the intersection of VULNERABILITY, THREAT & CRITICALITY.

So, even if there is a VULNERABILITY, if there is no real THREAT or CRITICALITY, then RISK is LOW.

For example, for someone who uses VoIP and is not a high profile person or spy or criminal etc who has THREATS and if a VULNERABILITY is exploited, it does not do critical harm (in the case of VoIP threats for most people who use VoIP daily), then the RISK is low.

I've been aware of possible VoIP exploits for many years, but it does not stop me from using the myriad technologies that use VoIP. This especially applies to VoIP technologies which are encrypted. LINE, What's App and I believe Skype are all encrypted and so exploiting these VoIP vulnerabilities are non trivial, as I recall, and so most users who use encrypted VoIP are not at high RISK.

There is also the RISK MITIGATION model, which combines TECHNICAL (LOGICAL) CONTROLS, PHYSICAL CONTROLS AND ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROLS, should be considered as well

Encrypting a VoIP channel is a TECHNICAL CONTROL and having a policy whereas HIGHLY SENSITIVE USERS do not use these apps unless approved is an ADMINISTRATIVE CONTROL.

It is important to keep in mind that RISK MANAGEMENT and RISK MITIGATION is a multidimensional and multifaceted approach, so VULNERABILITIES must be viewed in context to the THREAT and CRITICALITY; and RISK MITIGATION must be viewed in terms of RISK and the "best" combination of controls (ADMIN, TECH, PHYSICAL) based on RISK (and this implies budget as well).

Cheers.
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Identification of data calls & voice calls

Is there any facility to filter/identify the data calls and voice calls coming throug modem? OR Can we get the data or voice calls information through a script(preferably C Kermit)? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
0 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Microsoft Powerpoint 2003 stops working after 12 April 2011 Microsoft Updates

For the benefit of the community this is a widespread worldwide problem affecting multiple versions of Microsoft Windows. Powerpoint erroneously reports Powerpoint presentation damaged and then often hangs. Until Microsoft sort this out, try removing Powerpoint security update KB 2464588... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: methyl
0 Replies
Time::Seconds(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					Time::Seconds(3pm)

NAME
Time::Seconds - a simple API to convert seconds to other date values SYNOPSIS
use Time::Piece; use Time::Seconds; my $t = localtime; $t += ONE_DAY; my $t2 = localtime; my $s = $t - $t2; print "Difference is: ", $s->days, " "; DESCRIPTION
This module is part of the Time::Piece distribution. It allows the user to find out the number of minutes, hours, days, weeks or years in a given number of seconds. It is returned by Time::Piece when you delta two Time::Piece objects. Time::Seconds also exports the following constants: ONE_DAY ONE_WEEK ONE_HOUR ONE_MINUTE ONE_MONTH ONE_YEAR ONE_FINANCIAL_MONTH LEAP_YEAR NON_LEAP_YEAR Since perl does not (yet?) support constant objects, these constants are in seconds only, so you cannot, for example, do this: "print ONE_WEEK->minutes;" METHODS
The following methods are available: my $val = Time::Seconds->new(SECONDS) $val->seconds; $val->minutes; $val->hours; $val->days; $val->weeks; $val->months; $val->financial_months; # 30 days $val->years; $val->pretty; # gives English representation of the delta The usual arithmetic (+,-,+=,-=) is also available on the objects. The methods make the assumption that there are 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week, 365.24225 days in a year and 12 months in a year. (from The Calendar FAQ at http://www.tondering.dk/claus/calendar.html) AUTHOR
Matt Sergeant, matt@sergeant.org Tobias Brox, tobiasb@tobiasb.funcom.com BalXzs SzabX (dLux), dlux@kapu.hu LICENSE
Please see Time::Piece for the license. Bugs Currently the methods aren't as efficient as they could be, for reasons of clarity. This is probably a bad idea. POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 245: Non-ASCII character seen before =encoding in 'BalXzs'. Assuming UTF-8 perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Time::Seconds(3pm)