Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ufsrestore on SunBlade 2500
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Ufsrestore on SunBlade 2500 Post 303011308 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 16th of January 2018 12:01:27 PM
Old 01-16-2018
The point is that the device nodes for the root filesystem and the /usr filesystem might be different on the new hardware.

If you enter the command:

Code:
# mount

on the original system you will be able to see the devices mounted for root (/) and /usr. Make a note of them. This is device node list #1.

Now, on the clone, when booted from DVD into single user (with nothing mounted) and using the 'format' command you can see the devices on the clone plus you know what slice YOU are using to configure, format, and ufsrestore different filesystems on. Make a note of these. This is device node list #2. Are they the same devices (eg, c0t0d0s0) on both machines??? Also, if you now mount the root filesystem of the clone on /a and look in /a/dev/dsk, do the required devices (from list #2) exist in this directory?? If not, we need to create them before the system will boot and find its root filesystem.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux Benchmarks

AMD 2500 / 1G RAM / Soyo KT600 Ultra MB

System Notes: CPU/Speed: AMD Athlon 2500+ 1.8Ghz Ram: 1 GB DDR 333 PC2700 Motherboard: Soyo KT600 Dragon Ultra Bus: PCI Cache: 512KB (corrected earlier error stating 512MB!) HD Controller: EIDE Benchmarks: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Anyone has problems with new Blade 2500????

Hi guys, I am a new member here. This is my first post. I try to purchase some new Blade 2500 for the company. However, the vendor suggests me to get Blade 2000 instead. The vendor said he has many problems with new Silver Blade 2500's. Has anyone here had simlar experience with blade 2500?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: facaizhu
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

SB2000, 2500 server client convert

Hi, Sir, I have a customer who use a SB2000 as server and just upgraded three client machine with SB2500. The system is used for planning and all boxes likely share the same source on server, so pretty slow when all machines are in operation. The customer wish to do a server-to-client and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: howhowzz
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sunblade 1000

Hi everyone this is my first post I have used linux a couple of times and was impressed, so i bought an old sunblade 1000, just to learn something new. I cannot get the thing to work! I have tried to install solaris 10 and several types of linux. I am beginning to wonder if i was sold a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kawakaze
3 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Now Over 2500 FB Fans for Our New Timeline

Progress! 25% there on our way 10,000 FB fans on the new timeline: https://www.unix.com/members/neo-albums-forum-pics-picture503-facebook-timeline-now-over-2-500-fans.png (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

6. Hardware

StorageTek 2500

Hi, I recently got StoragaTek 2500 and I would like to connect it to my solaris machine, since I don't have much experience with storages, could someone point me how to do so, how can i present disks from storage on my solaris os? (everything is already connected) thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sprehodec
1 Replies

7. BSD

Installing OpenBSD for Xorg on Sunblade 2500

Hello All, I am new to the forum so forgive me for any mistakes. I have a question. I have been doing alot of reading about how to get a supportable operating system on my sunblade 2500. I also want to use it for Xorg. I have been having trouble getting the sun XVR drivers working... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harqobi22
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need in for a script that should check for errors in multiple log file (approx 2500) and should mail

hello everyone, I am new to linux and got this deliverable to write a script that should check for error in multiple log file (count is approx 2500 log files on single server) and once error is found, it should mail that error My logic says: we can put all log files path/location in one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik_CTS
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Cloning a Sunblade 2500

Good Morning, I took a mirror drive from one Solaris 9 machine and used it to set up another. After syncing another mirror on the second machine I restarted but I don't get a login screen. I see a message:The X-server cannot be started on display :0 Also during startup I see:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
8 Replies
QUOTAON(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						QUOTAON(8)

NAME
quotaon, quotaoff -- turn filesystem quotas on and off SYNOPSIS
quotaon [-g] [-u] [-v] filesystem ... quotaon [-g] [-u] [-v] -a quotaoff [-g] [-u] [-v] filesystem ... quotaoff [-g] [-u] [-v] -a DESCRIPTION
Quotaon announces to the system that disk quotas should be enabled on one or more filesystems. Quotaoff announces to the system that the specified filesystems should have disk quotas turned off. The filesystem must be mounted and it must have the appropriate mount option file located at its root, the .quota.ops.user file for user quota configuration, and the .quota.ops.group file for group quota configuration. Quotaon also expects each filesystem to have the appropriate quota data files located at its root, the .quota.user file for user data, and the .quota.group file for group data. These filenames and their root location cannot be overridden. By default, quotaon will attempt to enable both user and group quotas. By default, quotaoff will disable both user and group quotas. Available options: -a If the -a flag is supplied in place of any filesystem names, quotaon/quotaoff will enable/disable any filesystems with an existing mount option file at its root. The mount option file specifies the types of quotas that are to be configured. -g Only group quotas will be enabled/disabled. The mount option file, .quota.ops.group, must exist at the root of the filesystem. -u Only user quotas will be enabled/disabled. The mount option file, .quota.ops.user, must exist at the root of the filesystem. -v Causes quotaon and quotaoff to print a message for each filesystem where quotas are turned on or off. Specifying both -g and -u is equivalent to the default. Quotas for both users and groups will automatically be turned on at filesystem mount if the appropriate mount option file and binary data file is in place at its root. FILES
Each of the following quota files is located at the root of the mounted filesystem. The mount option files are empty files whose existence indicates that quotas are to be enabled for that filesystem. .quota.user data file containing user quotas .quota.group data file containing group quotas .quota.ops.user mount option file used to enable user quotas .quota.ops.group mount option file used to enable group quotas SEE ALSO
quota(1), quotactl(2), edquota(8), quotacheck(8), repquota(8) HISTORY
The quotaon command appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution October 17, 2002 4.2 Berkeley Distribution