Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Virtualization a bare metal SCO Open Server 6? Post 303011302 by c3rb3rus on Tuesday 16th of January 2018 10:19:02 AM
Old 01-16-2018
I was hoping to move the bare metal into a VM; that way I can do VM level backups and in case of restore it is much easier in VMware.

But I doubt we'll be able to get passed this licensing roadblock, so likely will just need to stock up on exact same hard drive off ebay.

I wonder what triggers tbasic to ask for activation - you think this is because the disk controller changed? Thinking ahead - if we stick with bare metal - and have to swap a failed disk down the road will we run into a similar issue or so as long as the hardware is the same it should not trigger tbasic to look for new activation.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sco open server 5.0.6

I'm new to the whole Unix thing and have inherited a network running Macs, Windows 2000 and Unix. The Unix side is very suspect at this point and I want to change out the server. I'd love to use one of the new Apple servers but can't find any info on what "flavors" of Unix it will run. Specificly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewd
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCO Open Server 5.05 Installaltuion

I'm in the process of installing SCO Open Server 5.05 on the following platform: Hardware: IBM 300PL 64 MB RAM Yamaha 16/4/16 CDRW (Internal defined on SCSI ID 3 LUN 0) I'm able to boot from the CD and advance to the Installation screen but when it asks for where the media source will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
3 Replies

3. SCO

SCO Open Server.

Dear All, I am considering installing SCO Open Server as an alternative to MS Exchange. Has anybody had any real world experience of using Open Office? Thanks, TC. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TCuk
1 Replies

4. SCO

Sco Open Server 5.05

How can I to know procesor type. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Batya
1 Replies

5. SCO

Purchase of SCO Open Server 6.0

I have to purchase SCO Open Server 6.0, so I want to know from where I can get SCO Open Server 6.0 and what is the min. cost in which I can avail this. Thanks and Regards Himanshu Software Engineer R&D Department (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is PXE boot bare-metal

hi members i am reading RHEL and i am unable to under stand about PXE boot and bare metal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagmare
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

bare metal backup for HP-UX 11i v3?

How can i make a dvd image ( bare metal backup ) for HP-UX 11i v3 installation on integrity servers , for quick recovery for the os and installed software in case of disaster (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

8. SCO

SCO Open Server

Hi, Completely new to UNIX - so be gentle Cut a long story short, we have a micros 8700 system (eclipse) that needs the Micros 8700 software installed. The system needs UNIX and I have downloaded and successfully installed SCO open Server 6 and can log into root e.t.c. Now I have... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kennyruss
13 Replies

9. Red Hat

Is here anyone hands on in Linux Bare Metal Restore..??

Hi all, I am working on Linux Bare Metal Restore in which i have few things to be discussed with a person who has his/her hands on in that process. If anyone kindly give a reply post in this thread.. :) :) Thanks Selva (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvarajvs
3 Replies
VMWARE-USER-SUID-WRAPPER(8)					   Open VM Tools				       VMWARE-USER-SUID-WRAPPER(8)

NAME
vmware-user-suid-wrapper - wrapper programm for vmware-user(1) SYNOPSIS
vmware-user-suid-wrapper DESCRIPTION
Operations on the vmblock(9) filesystem are considered privileged, and as such may only be issued on a file descriptor acquired by root. This is accomplished by vmware-user-suid-wrapper, a small setuid wrapper whose only purpose is to acquire a filesystem file descriptor, drop superuser privileges, and then execute vmware-user(1). In particular, prepare the system for vmware-user means that it unmounts the vmblock file system, unloads the vmblock module, then reloads the module, mounts the file system, and opens a file descriptor that vmware- user can use to add and remove blocks. OPTIONS
vmware-user-suid-wrapper has no options. SEE ALSO
vmware-checkvm(1) vmware-hgfsclient(1) vmware-toolbox(1) vmware-toolbox-cmd(1) vmware-user(1) vmware-xferlogs(1) libguestlib(3) libvmtools(3) vmware-guestd(8) vmware-hgfsmounter(8) vmblock(9) vmci(9) vmhgfs(9) vmmemctl(9) vmsock(9) vmsync(9) vmxnet(9) vmxnet3(9) HOMEPAGE
More information about vmware-user-suid-wrapper and the Open VM Tools can be found at <http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/>. AUTHOR
Open VM Tools were written by VMware, Inc. <http://www.vmware.com/>. This manual page was put together from homepage materials by Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). 2010.03.20-243334 2010-04-08 VMWARE-USER-SUID-WRAPPER(8)