Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris View file encoding then change encoding. Post 303011119 by mrreds on Saturday 13th of January 2018 11:37:12 AM
Old 01-13-2018
Lightbulb View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!!

I´m using command
Code:
file -i myfile.xml

to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . I´m expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII

Is there command to display the files encoding?

Thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File encoding in Unix

1. I have a shell script which creates a file using cat command. How can i find what encoding the file follows (e.g. UTF8, ANSI)? 2. I want to convert that file to PC-ANSI format. How can i achieve that? I am using HP-Unix. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssmallya
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the file encoding

Hello! The system is AIX 5.3 Give please command or script to get the file encoding Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinment
2 Replies

3. AIX

get the file encoding

Hello! The system is AIX 5.3 Give please command or script to get the file encoding (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinment
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash encoding, how to change

Hey guys. The problem is : i need to change encoding (to be more precise UTF-8) or change the language . You see , when i log in , manuals are shown in 'Some symbols' (being written in 'Not English') and its very confusing to work. Please Help :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IdleProc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cygwin vi XML file encoding problem

Hi, I have got a zip (binary) file transferred from MacOS (thus it has additional __MACOSX directory packed inside). On extracting this zip, there are few *.xml files available. When I opened this *.xml file in vim editor using Cygwin (on windows) the editor displayed in the bottom. I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the file encoding and updating the file encoding?

Hi, I am beginner to Unix. My requirement is to validate the encoding used in the incoming file(csv,txt).If it is encoded with UTF-8 format,then the file should remain as such otherwise i need to chnage the encoding to UTF-8. Please advice me how to proceed on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determing the encoding of a file

Hi, I am trying to determine the encoding for the file, because to convert to UTF-8, it seems as though I have to know the encoding of the source. Tried this file <filename> give me this: <filename>:data or International Language text Tried to see the locale and this is the output:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Change encoding, no removing special chars. inconv

Hi all, I'm using iconv command to change files encoding to UTF-8 If my input file has chars as those are removed creating the file without those special chars. I tried using iconv -c, but there is still the removal. Is there a way to keep those special chars changing just the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know file encoding?

how can i know what format a file is * example: UTF-8 ANSI UCS2 i am in a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
8 Replies
mdoc-validate(1)					      General Commands Manual						  mdoc-validate(1)

NAME
mdoc validate - Validate XML documents against a schema SYNOPSIS
mdoc validate [OPTIONS]* PATHS+ DESCRIPTION
mdoc validate validates the specified PATHS against a specified format schema. OPTIONS
--format=FORMAT The documentation format to validate PATHS against. Supported formats include: ecma. See the FORMATS section below for more information about these formats. The default format (if none is specified) is ecma. -h, -?, --help Display a help message and exit. FORMATS
The following documentation formats are supported: ecma The Mono ECMA Documentation Format validates all output generated by mdoc-update(1) against an XML schema, including the index.xml, ns-*.xml, and NamespaceName/TypeName.xml files. See mdoc(5) for details about this file format. EXAMPLES
To validate the mdoc-update(1) output stored within a directory (and all documentation within that directory, recursively), use: mdoc validate /path/to/ecma/docs MAILING LISTS
Visit http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/mono-docs-list for details. WEB SITE
Visit http://www.mono-project.com/mdoc for details mdoc-validate(1)