Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed within awk statement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed within awk statement Post 303010920 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 10th of January 2018 06:09:12 AM
Old 01-10-2018
I'm not an SQL expert, but still believe this could all be done in SQL without needing awk or sed. And, you showed us the output you said you want with <space> as a field separator and then say that you want the output to be a CSV file with <comma> as the field separator??? Assuming that your input is in a file named file and that you do want output with <comma> as the field separator, the following awk script seems to do what I think you want:
Code:
awk -F'|' '			# Invoke awk and set input field separator to "|".
{	gsub(/^ | $/, "", $2)	# Get rid of leading and trailing space in date
				# and convert input FS (|) to output FS (space).
	gsub(/ /, "-", $2)	# Convert spaces to hyphens in date.
	gsub(/ +/, ",")		# Convert strings of adjacent spaces to commas.
	gsub(/^,|,$/, "")	# Get rid of leading and trailing commas.
	print			# Print updated lines.
}' file				# Close awk script and specify input file.

If file contains the input you showed us in post #1 in this thread, this produces the output:
Code:
Jan-8-2018-11:28PM,24,75,51,1,1.600
Jan-8-2018-12:01PM,52,823,21,6,2.675

You haven't told us what operating system or shell you're using (which you should always do in threads in this forum so we can suggest solutions that will work in your environment). If you're using a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if and sed statement

this is my output for my crawler. /about.html /ads/ /advanced_search?hl=en froogle.google.com/frghp?hl=en&tab=wf&ie=UTF-8 groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&ie=UTF-8 /imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&ie=UTF-8 /intl/en/options/ /language_tools?hl=en /maphp?hl=en&tab=wl&ie=UTF-8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables within a sed statement

I am just wondering if it's possible to refer to variables within a sed statement as follows:- cat $file | sed -e 1's/$oldtext/$newtext/' > $file as when I run the script, the variables are not recognised and nothing happens..?? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirtrancealot
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove statement

I am having some problems with sed, that I am hoping that I can get some assistance with. I am trying to remove two subsets of a string, and cannot figure out how to have it work. Here is an example string: auth_ldap authenticate: user joe authentication failed; URI /svn/ I want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guyverix
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed / grep / for statement performance - please help

I'm searching the most effective way of doing the following task, so if someone can either provide a working solution with sed or one totally different but more effective then what I've got so far then please go ahead! The debugme directory has 3 subdirectorys and each of them has one .txt file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A complex sed statement

I have following requirement. Say, my text file contains following patterns {2010501005|XXGpvertex|9|0|17|0|{|{30100001|XXparameter_set|@@@@{{30001002|XXparameter|!prototype_path|$AB_COMPONENTS/Sort/Sort.mpc|3|2|Pf$|@{0|}} }}@0|@315000|78500|335000|99000|114000|87000|17|And the Sort|Ab... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shell_Learner
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use awk/sed/grep with goto statement!

Hi, I have an array with characters and I am looking for specific character in that array and if those specific character not found than I use goto statment which is define somehwhere in the script. My code is: set a = (A B C D E F) @ i = 0 while ($i <= ${#a}) if ($a != "F" || $a != "D")... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed problem to write Db insertion statement

Hi There, I am trying to load data from a csv file into a DB during our DB migration phase. I am successfully able export all data into a .csv file but those have to rewritten in terms insert statement which will allow for further population of same data in different DB My exiting csv record... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If else statement in sed

Hello Guys, I am new here and this is my first post, hope someone can help me I am writing a script that is supposed to go in 9 different directories and edit a given file in each of the directories. I am using sed to edit the file as sed -i 'line# s/#to be changed/#to be replaced with/... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madiouma Ndiaye
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk statement piped inside sed

Hello folks, I have multiple occurrences of the pattern: ).: where is any digit, in various text context but the pattern is unique as this regex. And I need to turn this decimal fraction into an integer (corresponding percent value: the range of 0-100). What I'm doing is: cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roussine
1 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If one of the file names is the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Input fields are normally separated spaces or tabs; output fields by space. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are discarded. The following options are recognized, with POSIX syntax. -a n In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -v n Like -a, omitting output for paired lines. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -1 m -2 m Join on the mth field of file1 or file2. -jn m Archaic equivalent for -n m. -ofields Each output line comprises the designated fields. The comma-separated field designators are either 0, meaning the join field, or have the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. Archaic usage allows separate arguments for field designators. -tc Use character c as the only separator (tab character) on input and output. Every appearance of c in a line is significant. EXAMPLES
sort /etc/passwd | join -t: -1 1 -a 1 -e "" - bdays Add birthdays to the /etc/passwd file, leaving unknown birthdays empty. The layout of /adm/users is given in passwd(5); bdays con- tains sorted lines like tr : ' ' </etc/passwd | sort -k 3 3 >temp join -1 3 -2 3 -o 1.1,2.1 temp temp | awk '$1 < $2' Print all pairs of users with identical userids. SOURCE
/src/cmd/join.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b -ky,y; with -t, the sequence is that of sort -tx -ky,y. One of the files must be randomly accessible. JOIN(1)