Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Print lines based upon unique values in Nth field Post 303010575 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 3rd of January 2018 11:47:33 AM
Old 01-03-2018
Provided the input file is sorted on column 1, the following awk works as well and does not consume much memory (especially with a big input file)
Code:
awk '
{
  if ($1!=p1) {
    if (c==1) print p0
    c=0
  }
  c++
  p1=$1; p0=$0
}
END {
  if (c==1) print p0
}
' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find top N values for field X based on field Y's value

I want to find the top N entries for a certain field based on the values of another field. For example if N=3, we want the 3 best values for each entry: Entry1 ||| 100 Entry1 ||| 95 Entry1 ||| 30 Entry1 ||| 80 Entry1 ||| 50 Entry2 ||| 40 Entry2 ||| 20 Entry2 ||| 10 Entry2 ||| 50... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrancoisCN
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Tab Separated Field with AWK to all and print lines of unique fields.

Hi. I have a tab separated file that has a couple nearly identical lines. When doing: sort file | uniq > file.new It passes through the nearly identical lines because, well, they still are unique. a) I want to look only at field x for uniqueness and if the content in field x is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Print from nth field to mth fields using awk

Hi, Is there any short method to print from a particular field till another filed using awk? Example File: File1 ==== 1|2|acv|vbc|......|100|342 2|3|afg|nhj|.......|100|346 Expected output: File2 ==== acv|vbc|.....|100 afg|nhj|.....|100 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print Nth to last field

Hey, I'm sure this is answered somewhere but my Googling has turned up nothing. I have a file with data in the following format: <desription of event> at <time and date>The desription of the event is variable length and hence when the list is displayed it is hard to easily see the date (and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RECrerar
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - printing nth field based on parameter

I have a need to print nth field based on the parameter passed. Suppose I have 3 fields in a file, passing 1 to the function should print 1st field and so on. I have attempted below function but this throws an error due to incorrect awk syntax. function calcmaxlen { FIELDMAXLEN=0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print unique lines without sort or unique

I would like to print unique lines without sort or unique. Unfortunately the server I am working on does not have sort or unique. I have not been able to contact the administrator of the server to ask him to add it for several weeks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print unique text in field

I am trying to use awk to print the unique entries in $2 So in the example below there are 3 lines but 2 of the lines match in $2 so only one is used in the output. File.txt chr17:29667512-29667673 NF1:exon.1;NF1:exon.2;NF1:exon.38;NF1:exon.4;NF1:exon.46;NF1:exon.47 703.807... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print unique text in field before hyphen

Trying to print the unique values in $2 before the -, currently the count is displayed. Hopefully, the below is close. Thank you :). file chr2:46603668-46603902 EPAS1-902|gc=54.3 253.1 chr2:211471445-211471675 CPS1-1205|gc=48.3 264.7 chr19:15291762-15291983 NOTCH3-1003|gc=68.8 195.8... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print count of unique values

Hello experts, I am converting a number into its binary output as : read n echo "obase=2;$n" | bc I wish to count the maximum continuous occurrences of the digit 1. Example : 1. The binary equivalent of 5 = 101. Hence the output must be 1. 2. The binary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: H squared
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print lines based on text in field and value in two additional fields

In the awk below I am trying to print the entire line, along with the header row, if $2 is SNV or MNV or INDEL. If that condition is met or is true, and $3 is less than or equal to 0.05, then in $7 the sub pattern :GMAF= is found and the value after the = sign is checked. If that value is less than... (0 Replies)
0 Replies
uniq(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   uniq(1)

Name
       uniq - report repeated lines in a file

Syntax
       uniq [-udc[+n][-n]] [input[output]]

Description
       The  command  reads  the  input	file comparing adjacent lines.	In the normal case, the second and succeeding copies of repeated lines are
       removed; the remainder is written on the output file.  Note that repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be found.  For further  infor-
       mation, see

Options
       The n arguments specify skipping an initial portion of each line in the comparison:

-n Skips specified number of fields.  A field is defined as a string of non-space, non-tab characters separated by tabs and spaces from its
	  neighbors.

+n Skips specified number of characters in addition to fields.  Fields are skipped before characters.

-c Displays number of repetitions, if any, for each line.

-d Displays only lines that were repeated.

-u Displays only unique (nonrepeated) lines.

If the -u flag is used, just the lines that are not repeated in the original file are output.  The -d option specifies  that  one  copy	of
       just the repeated lines is to be written.  The normal mode output is the union of the -u and -d mode outputs.

The  -c option supersedes -u and -d and generates an output report in default style but with each line preceded by a count of the number of
       times it occurred.

See Also
       comm(1), sort(1)

uniq(1)