Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Is it Possible to combine these two loops into one? Post 303009926 by RudiC on Friday 22nd of December 2017 08:13:41 AM
Old 12-22-2017
What be the similarities / commonalities of the two tasks, what aspects do they share? Should there be enough of these, it might make sense to consider a merge. But then, the logics needed inside the loop to tell each case from the other might by far outweigh the savings.
One approach could be to collect the files into a compound mput ftp command (in two loops, of course) and run that in one single ftp invocation and login.
BTW, none of the variables used in your above code snippet is defined and thus will lead to failure when running the code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While Loops

I'm trying to create a loop that will prompt the user for 15 values, not forcing them to enter all 15. If the user enters through one or more of the prompts the null value needs to be converted to 0, otherwise set the parameter = to the value entered: ex. Please enter file no #1: 17920 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdc
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

two loops

Hi, how can I use "for" to have two loops : this is my script : for i in (A B C) do for j in (a b c) do echo $i$j done done #End I want to print out Aa Ab Ac .... But I have error message : syntax error at line 1 : `(' unexpected Many thanks before. How should I use "for" ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loops

Hi I've a file like so: Now, I want to read my file and take ex. the Media ID and the Type for each groups of Media (Media1,Media2,...,Media(n): cat /tmp/file|\ while read FILE do while $(FILE|cut -d: -f1)=Media$i do #here will be some test, ex: #if Media ID < 23 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For Loops

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding for loops. I am writing a BASH shell script that will contain multiple loops. These loops all involve looping with a count: for (( a=0; a <=10; a++ )); do echo $a done If none of my multiple loops relate to each other throughout the script,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops

Hi All, I want to execute a script the number of times a user enters. Please can you advise on hor can I do the same. Many Thanks, Shazin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loops with tr

Hello, I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the 'unix for dummies' or the 'unix for experts' forum because I'm new to this forum and this is the second topic I've discussed, but if you could let me know which one was more appropriate for something like this, please do! So in tr (an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliette salexa
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

loops

Hi All I have some directories on our server which are containing .csv files. i need to print value of cell "B2" from those csv files. Please advise. I have tried head command as example: head -2 */Book_Collection_Report_1_-_Collection_Requests_trials.csv | sed -n "3p" | awk -F","... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash1978
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops

Hi All, I am very new to Shell scripting. I read basic scripting manual. But i didn't understand the code. Please tell the meaning of the below code: while getopts "F:f:R:r:C:c:" opt 2>/dev/null do case ${opt} in F|f) FREQUENCY_MODE=$OPTARG;; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdathu
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with loops?

I'm trying to understand better the while and until loops, can someone help me with this example? #!/bin/bash # Listing the planets. for planet in Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto do echo $planet # Each planet on a separate line. done echo; echo for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jose2802
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with for loops

Why wont my for statements work? Im trying to get this script to swich to a user an if you put in a start/stop/or restart paramater to do just that for each user. I commented out the actual start/stop actions to test it just by using echos and not do anything hasty in the environment but it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LilyClaro
0 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc, .netrc -- user configuration for ftp DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)