Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Confusion in working of carat(^) symbol Post 303009923 by scriptor on Friday 22nd of December 2017 07:30:26 AM
Old 12-22-2017
HI MadeInGermany

when you say
Code:
In a [character set] if the first character is ^ it means NOT the following character set.

then the below command should not give O/P but it is giving. by say not the following character I mean
Code:
nN

so ideally it should not give any output.
Code:

grep ^[nN] test.txt

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

confusion with export

Hi, I have written the following two scripts. a.ksh ---> FPATH=/users/kushard autoload b b echo "From a.ksh::" $aa b ---> function b { typeset aa aa="TRUE." echo "From b::" $aa export aa } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdipankar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix confusion

:confused: some one please tell me where i can possibly find out what is unix 10.2 and the basic system functions of it is. I really need help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tribb24
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wc command confusion

Can somebody explain it to me that why wc gives more chars suppose Ab.txt have two lines qwer qasd then wc -c ab.txt will give 10.why not 8.okay may be it is taking count one for each line just in case but why echo "qwer"|wc -C gives 5. Ok with \c it is returning 4. :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhruva
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Invoke URL's from file and comment with # symbol which are not working

Hi All, my intention is read urls from a file (what ever url's it may be) but the url's which are not opening i.e which displays 404 , page not found error and so on should be commented in the file with # symbol. for the correct url's : nothing to be done(except script should validate... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsp
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'tr' confusion

Good day, everyone! Could anybody explain me the following situation. If I'm running similar script: Var="anna.kurnikova" Var2="Anna Kurn" echo $Var | tr -t "$Var" "$Var2" Why the output is : anna KurniKova instead of Anna Kurnikova? :confused: Thank you in advance for any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nafanja
2 Replies

6. Solaris

/usr/lib/passwdutil.so.1: symbol __nsl_fgetspent_r: referenced symbol not found

deleteing post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

conditional confusion

Hell Unix.com Community: I am working on a personal project using yad v0.12.4 (zenity fork) and have hit a wall on how to show a progress bar while my function is processing. I have been all over the ABS Guide, googled 21 Linux-specific sites that I revere. I even asked on the yad-common... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping of a symbol from string not working properly

Hi All, I used this code to strip-off $-symbol from string values. a="$980" b="897" a=`echo "$a" | sed 's/$/ /g'` b=`echo "$b" | sed 's/$/ /g'` echo "$a" echo "$b" but this results in the output: 80 and 897 it works when i use a='$987' b='890' (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: angie1234
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion with PS

Hello All, I have a problem in counting number of process getting run with my current script name.. Here it is ps -ef | grep $0 | grep -v grep This display just one line with the PID, PPID and other details when i print it in the script. But when I want to count the numbers in my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
11 Replies
extract_font_range(3alleg4)					  Allegro manual				       extract_font_range(3alleg4)

NAME
extract_font_range - Extracts a range of characters from a font. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> FONT *extract_font_range(FONT *f, int begin, int end) DESCRIPTION
This function extracts a character range from a font and returns a new font that contains only the range of characters selected by this function. You can pass -1 for either the lower or upper bound if you want to select all characters from the start or to the end of the font. Example: FONT *myfont; FONT *capitals; FONT *fontcopy; ... /* Create a font of only capital letters */ capitals = extract_font_range(myfont, 'A', 'Z'); /* Create a copy of the font */ fontcopy = extract_font_range(myfont, -1, -1); ... destroy_font(capitals); destroy_font(fontcopy); RETURN VALUE
Returns a pointer to the new font or NULL on error. Remember that you are responsible for destroying the font when you are finished with it to avoid memory leaks. SEE ALSO
get_font_range_begin(3alleg4), get_font_range_end(3alleg4), merge_fonts(3alleg4), transpose_font(3alleg4), exfont(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 extract_font_range(3alleg4)