Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How are environment variables defined in a Gnome terminal session? Post 303009871 by Don Cragun on Thursday 21st of December 2017 11:17:27 AM
Old 12-21-2017
Gnome terminal is not a shell and doesn't really set environment variables for you. Somewhere in your setup for Gnome terminal you told it that you wanted it to start a shell for you. It starts that shell as a login shell which causes it to read its own initialization scripts.

If one of the scripts your login shell is reading is ~/.bash_profile, the shell that has been configured for you is bash.

If you were using a BSD, Linux, or UNIX system the login shell for a user would be found in the user database (frequently contained in a file named /etc/passwd). I believe that Windows has a similar user database, but I don't remember where it is located nor how it is accessed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

environment variable is not defined

moved to correct thread (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alien12
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus session being able to see unix variables session within a script

Hi there. How do I make the DB connection see the parameter variables passed to the unix script ? The code snippet below isn't working properly. sqlplus << EOF user1@db1/pass1 BEGIN PACKAGE1.perform_updates($1,$2,$3); END; EOF Thanks in advance, Abrahao. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

3. Linux

Launch application in gnome session of another user.

A gnome session is launched by UserA of System A, I am connected to userB of System B(or A) through PUTTY. I want to launch an application for eg: gedit through Putty in the display of system A. how can I achieve this. for eg:- root is logged in to System A, with gdm. DISPLAY=0.0, ip =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with gnome-terminal

Hello everyone. This is my first post.:o Using Ubuntu 8.04 and bash 3.2.39 i'm trying to adapt my routine to this platform. So, this means forget xterm and use gnome-terminal (as default ubuntu terminal). EveryDay i need to connect to several servers, and i've made a Tcl'script to make this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trutoman
1 Replies

5. Solaris

I am not able to login in gnome session and java session in Sun solaris 9& 10

I am not able to login in gnome session and java session in Sun solaris 9& 10 respectively through xmanager as a nis user, I am able to login in common desktop , but gnome session its not allowing , when I have given login credentials, its coming back to login screen, what shoul I do to allow nis... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
0 Replies

6. Debian

Gnome session reverts back to gdm on login.

Hi everyone. I just had a quick problem. I'm not too familiar with linux yet, otherwise I'd have this figured out by now. I recently did the Debian 5lenny7 update with the standard debian update manager. After getting all installed and rebooted, I tried to login to my account again. Every... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: runfaj
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding WHERE an environment variable is defined.

HI. I had an environment variable defined in my .bash_profile file and I deleted it. I opened a new terminal and looked inside .bash_profile and it's not there but when I type printenv MYCONFIG it reutrns what the value used to be in my .bash_profile still!! I did a grep for MYCONFIG and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dissectcode
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gnome-terminal questions

I have a couple questions regarding gnome-terminal. Basically I am trying to write an alias that will bring up several gnome-terminals that navigate to certain directories and run certain commands. I have it pretty well figured out, but the one I am having a problem with is simply running a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tennesseej
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with gnome terminal

Hi, I cant get this command to run in a new gnome terminal cd "$PRG" && gnome-terminal -x sh -c './prg -r testcommand' &>/dev/null & i can run just ./prg -r testcommand and it runs fine but in the command above it only runs ./prg Any ideas community Cheers in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doing math using user defined input and system environment variables

Hi, I need some help to setup some environmental variables. for example...Get A -> userdefined/user input B -> a number. c -> system variable...for example $GETCONF PAGE_SIZE E = do some math using bc display a message "The value is E" setup the system/kernel paramter sysctl -p... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
3 Replies
PAM_CK_CONNECTOR(8)						 ConsoleKit Manual					       PAM_CK_CONNECTOR(8)

NAME
pam_ck_connector - Register session with ConsoleKit SYNOPSIS
pam_ck_connector.so [debug] DESCRIPTION
The pam_ck_connector PAM module registers a login session with the system-wide ConsoleKit daemon. This PAM module should be used with caution; only local login managers such as login(1) should use this. Since the ConsoleKit daemon can accept both an tty and an X11 display the normal parameters set by PAM are not always useful. An application can therefore override these with the PAM environment variables CKCON_TTY, CKCON_X11_DISPLAY and CKCON_X11_DISPLAY_DEVICE (the application should remember to unset these before starting the login session). Also note that the ConsoleKit daemon may reject registration attempts if the given set of data are inconsistent with each other. More more information, see the ConsoleKit documentation on the OpenSessionWithParameters() method call on the org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager D- Bus interface. If registration with the ConsoleKit daemon succeeds, this PAM module will set the environment variable XDG_SESSION_COOKIE which is used to defined membership of a login session. This PAM module has the side effect that it creates a connection to the system message bus that is kept open until the session ends. This is used by the ConsoleKit daemon to track the life-cycle of the session and, as such, should the login manager crash, the session will be properly unregistered. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. nox11 Do not create a session if PAM specifies an X11 display instead of a /dev/tty terminal. SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(8), pam(8), dbus-daemon(1) AUTHOR
pam_ck_connector was written by David Zeuthen <davidz@redhat.com>. ConsoleKit Manual 02/27/2007 PAM_CK_CONNECTOR(8)