Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Confusion in working of carat(^) symbol Post 303009863 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 21st of December 2017 09:32:52 AM
Old 12-21-2017
One thing to also note is that
Code:
grep "^[^nN]"

also removes empty lines (since it does not start with a non-n or N character), whereas
Code:
grep -v "^[nN]"

does not remove empty lines

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

confusion with export

Hi, I have written the following two scripts. a.ksh ---> FPATH=/users/kushard autoload b b echo "From a.ksh::" $aa b ---> function b { typeset aa aa="TRUE." echo "From b::" $aa export aa } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdipankar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix confusion

:confused: some one please tell me where i can possibly find out what is unix 10.2 and the basic system functions of it is. I really need help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tribb24
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wc command confusion

Can somebody explain it to me that why wc gives more chars suppose Ab.txt have two lines qwer qasd then wc -c ab.txt will give 10.why not 8.okay may be it is taking count one for each line just in case but why echo "qwer"|wc -C gives 5. Ok with \c it is returning 4. :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dhruva
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Invoke URL's from file and comment with # symbol which are not working

Hi All, my intention is read urls from a file (what ever url's it may be) but the url's which are not opening i.e which displays 404 , page not found error and so on should be commented in the file with # symbol. for the correct url's : nothing to be done(except script should validate... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsp
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'tr' confusion

Good day, everyone! Could anybody explain me the following situation. If I'm running similar script: Var="anna.kurnikova" Var2="Anna Kurn" echo $Var | tr -t "$Var" "$Var2" Why the output is : anna KurniKova instead of Anna Kurnikova? :confused: Thank you in advance for any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nafanja
2 Replies

6. Solaris

/usr/lib/passwdutil.so.1: symbol __nsl_fgetspent_r: referenced symbol not found

deleteing post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

conditional confusion

Hell Unix.com Community: I am working on a personal project using yad v0.12.4 (zenity fork) and have hit a wall on how to show a progress bar while my function is processing. I have been all over the ABS Guide, googled 21 Linux-specific sites that I revere. I even asked on the yad-common... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping of a symbol from string not working properly

Hi All, I used this code to strip-off $-symbol from string values. a="$980" b="897" a=`echo "$a" | sed 's/$/ /g'` b=`echo "$b" | sed 's/$/ /g'` echo "$a" echo "$b" but this results in the output: 80 and 897 it works when i use a='$987' b='890' (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: angie1234
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion with PS

Hello All, I have a problem in counting number of process getting run with my current script name.. Here it is ps -ef | grep $0 | grep -v grep This display just one line with the PID, PPID and other details when i print it in the script. But when I want to count the numbers in my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
11 Replies
KVM_NLIST(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					      KVM_NLIST(3)

NAME
kvm_nlist -- retrieve symbol table names from a kernel image LIBRARY
Kernel Data Access Library (libkvm, -lkvm) SYNOPSIS
#include <kvm.h> #include <nlist.h> int kvm_nlist(kvm_t *kd, struct nlist *nl); DESCRIPTION
The kvm_nlist() function retrieves the symbol table entries indicated by the name list argument nl. This argument points to an array of nlist structures, terminated by an entry whose n_name field is NULL (see nlist(3)). Each symbol is looked up using the n_name field, and if found, the corresponding n_type and n_value fields are filled in. These fields are set to 0 if the symbol is not found. The kldsym(2) system call is used to locate the symbol. This is a less than perfect emulation of the nlist values but has the advantage of being aware of kernel modules and is reasonably fast. RETURN VALUES
The kvm_nlist() function returns the number of invalid entries found. If the kernel symbol table was unreadable, -1 is returned. SEE ALSO
kldsym(2), kvm(3), kvm_close(3), kvm_getargv(3), kvm_getenvv(3), kvm_geterr(3), kvm_getprocs(3), kvm_open(3), kvm_openfiles(3), kvm_read(3), kvm_write(3) BSD
June 4, 1993 BSD