Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File attributes ????
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers File attributes ???? Post 303009857 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 21st of December 2017 08:01:53 AM
Old 12-21-2017
I give an example, so everybody can reproduce.
Code:
mkdir newdir
touch newdir/file1
touch newdir/file2
chmod -x newdir

Unix (and very old GNU ls/glibc)
Code:
ls -l newdir
newdir/file2: Permission denied
newdir/file1: Permission denied
total 0

Old GNU ls
Code:
ls -l newdir
total 0
?--------- ? ? ? ?            ? file1
?--------- ? ? ? ?            ? file2

GNU ls
Code:
ls -l newdir
ls: cannot access newdir/file2: Permission denied
ls: cannot access newdir/file1: Permission denied
total 0
-????????? ? ? ? ?            ? file1
-????????? ? ? ? ?            ? file2

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to view all the attributes for a file/node

I need to find out when a file has been created. 'ls -l' just lists the last date the file was modified, not the creation date. I have also noticed when viewing the attributes through NT, the last modified date is the same as the file creation date. I thought maybe this was a fault due to Samba. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpalmer
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rcp and file attributes

Good day Does anyone have an idea on how I can rcp a file together with its attributes. owner,group, permissions ? Regards J (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file attributes

how do we set file attributes at shell prompt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hytechpro
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file attributes

How to retrieve file attributes in a sh/bash script (modification time, access time, size, etc.)? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hitori
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning file attributes to variables

Hi, I'm trying to assign the permissions, owner and group of a file to seperate variables, but using ls -l filename | awk '{print $1 "\t" $3 "\t" $4}' gives the owner as tom.ja instead of tom.james Is there any way to expand it so i get the full name, or is there an easier way to get them... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: olimiles
5 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

file attributes and exception

hi, I want to know the date the file was created or modified. I can do this using ls, ll -ltr etc... I want to do this in a function (so If the file date is older then a week I can report it), is there a way? another thing... In sql function, I can catch exceptions, is there a way to do this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krem
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate the File Attributes in the system

Hello Folks, I want to generate the file attributes of the system and needs to write into the text file. I am running the command "ls -Rl" to get the details of the files from the current directory. I am getting the output. ./linux-2.6.29.4/arch: total 10 drwxr-xr-x 9 1138 5000 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhchokshi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cp: preserving file/folder attributes and auto creating folders

Hi, Is there a way to use cp in such a way that when a file is copied to a destination, the required destination folders are automatically created with the proper permissions, and the resulting copied file has the same attributes as the original. For example if I copied... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Split file based on multi valued attributes

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. I have a file which has multi valued attributes. I wanted to split it so that there will be no muliti valued attributes. Example file: "attr1","amv1;amv2;3","bmv1;bmv2","abc","abc1;abc2;abc3" Plz note this is CSV file and ; is the delimiter for multi valued... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: snukala
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove attributes of a file?

Hello, I opened a file by accident (with a java program, which has been uninstalled!) and from then on, all the file with .fasta extension has been changed with an icon (So annoying!!) and the file attributes has been changed with the property: Type: application/x-wine-extension-fasta type... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)