Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Extract file names from file and set variable to 'highest' one Post 303009756 by SIMMS7400 on Tuesday 19th of December 2017 12:20:46 PM
Old 12-19-2017
Extract file names from file and set variable to 'highest' one

HI Folks -

I have a requirement where I need to scan a text file for a list of files.

The file, we'll called it, files.txt looks like such:

Code:
inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_112517_SEP2017.txt
 inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_112617_NOV2017.txt
 inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_112617_OCT2017.txt
 inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_112617_SEP2017.txt
 inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_120817_OCT2017.txt
 inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_121017_DEC2017.txt
 inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_121017_NOV2017.txt
 inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_121017_OCT2017.txt
 inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_121117_DEC2017.txt
 inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_121117_NOV2017.txt
 inbox/EBS/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_121117_OCT2017.txt
 inbox/Client/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_111417_SEP2017.txt
 inbox/Client/Client_GL_Detail_PBCS_111417_SEP2017.xls
 outbox/Client_2678.dat
 outbox/Client_2682.dat
 outbox/logs/Client_2954.log
 outbox/logs/Client_2955.log
 outbox/logs/Client_2956.log
 outbox/logs/Client_2957.log
 outbox/logs/Client_2958.log
 outbox/logs/Client_2959.log
 outbox/logs/Client_2960.log
 outbox/logs/Client_2961.log
 outbox/logs/Client_2962.log
 outbox/logs/Client_2963.log
 outbox/logs/Client_2964.log

Total 489

I need to scan the file, searching for this string:

outbox/logs/Client_

Once found, I then need to understand if that string is suffixed with the highest numerical value on the end and then set that name (less the path) to a variable.
There will always be 4 digits and the 'highest' one is always the latest, which I need to extract.

I have done this on batch with ease but struggling here. I am using bash.

Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable assignment for file names.

I am trying to process error files in selected directories. I can count the files that are there and export the contents to a file for either emailing or printing. The next step is to move the files to a processed directory with the name changed to .fixed as the last extension. for file in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Names in a Variable in a loop

Hi All , I am having confusion in a shell script. Please guide me. I need to get multiple files (number of files vary time to time, file names are separated by '|') using FTP get from the remote server. Actually, i call the FTP function in a loop. At the last step, i need to move all the get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable names in text file with its value

Hi I have a text file (mytext.txt), the content of which is as following: My name is <@MY_NAME@> and my age is <@MY_AGE@> . Now i have another property file (myprops) which is as following: MY_NAME=abcdefgh MY_AGE=000000 I was wondering, how can i replace the tags of mytext.txt, with its... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigithvg
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to extract sub-string out of file names

I have these files in a directory. It may have more class than the sample below: DEPT_CHEM101LEC_D_20110301.DAT DEPT_CHEM101LAB_D_20110301.DAT DEPT_BIO105LEC_D_20110325.DAT DEPT_BIO105LAB_D_20110325.DAT DEPT_CSC308LEC_D_20110327.DAT DEPT_CSC308LAB_D_20110327.DAT Is there way to extract out... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

set a variable to be a list of file names

Hi all, I am trying to get a list of all the .tif images in my folder and set a variable that holds all the file names using C shell. What is the best way to do it? any help would be greatly appreciated. Yang (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lionheartyoung
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to assign file names to array variable?

I wish to assign file names with particular extention to array variables. For example if there are 5 files with .dat extention in /home/sam then i have to assign these 5 files to an array. plz help me how to accomplish this. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract file names from a file

I'm trying to extract a list of each .cfg file name mentioned in a file. I've made some progress using sed, but I'm still not there. Any help would be appreciated. My input looks like this: 07:00:00.000 spn redo 08:04:36.200 CMD OBJ_INIT 08:04:37.200 CMD OBJ_INIT ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jricks
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies

9. Programming

FORTRAN: Loop over variable file names

Hi guys I'm a beginner in fortran. So excuse me for my naivety, let me briefly describe what I was trying to do. I have let's say 2 files named reac-1 and reac-2. After opening these files I've to do some calculations, close these files and open the same files again in a loop. So my faulty code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleheen
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matching file in bash with variable file names but consisent prefixs

As part of a bash the below line strips off a numerical prefix from directory 1 to search for in directory 2. for file in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/comparison/missing/*.txt do file1=${file##*/} # Strip off directory getprefix=${file1%%_*.txt} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)