Sponsored Content
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators How to read the nth character from the line.? Post 303009741 by pavand on Tuesday 19th of December 2017 10:02:32 AM
Old 12-19-2017
Code:
FIRSTLINE=`head -n 1 $indexFile

while read -r line
   do
   id = cut -c 9 $FIRSTLINE
   echo $id 
done < "$indexFile"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read First Character of Each Line in File

I need a better way to read the first character of each line in a file and check if it equals the special character ¤. This character tells me where there is a break in the reports. The file has over 500,000 lines. Currently, this is my code - if ] I am using Korn Shell as a scripting... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: azelinsk
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line based on character,

Hi Experts, I have called file1.txt contains below CREATE TABLE "IHUBDEV2"."TLM_BREAK_RULES" ( "OID" VARCHAR2(32) NOT NULL ENABLE, "TLM_PAY_CLASS_OID" VARCHAR2(32) NOT NULL ENABLE, "PUNCHED_BREAKS" NUMBER(1,0) DEFAULT 0 NOT NULL ENABLE, "NORMAL_BREAKS"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read last word of nth line

Hi people; i want to read the last word of the 14th line of my file1.txt. Here is the EXACT 14th line of the file. 250 SectorPortnum=3,AuxPortInUngo=2,PortDeviceGroup=1,PortDeviceSet=1,PorDevice=1 20 >>> Set. i have to get the word Set. how can i call it and also how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read one character form each line of the file?

Hi, Maybe this iscorrect forum for my question... I should read one character at a fixed position from each line of the file. So how ??? should be substituted in the code below: while read line ; do single_char=`???` echo "$single_char" done < $input_file OK...I did get an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsii
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file from nth line to specific character

Hi, I want to read the file from nth line (where n is an integer) to until I encounter @ char. Can any one please help me how to do this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laalesh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average for every Nth line in the Nth column

Is there an awk script that can easily perform the following operation? I have a data file that is in the format of 1944-12,5.6 1945-01,9.8 1945-02,6.7 1945-03,9.3 1945-04,5.9 1945-05,0.7 1945-06,0.0 1945-07,0.0 1945-08,0.0 1945-09,0.0 1945-10,0.2 1945-11,10.5 1945-12,22.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file from the nth line on

I have a script which reads from a job file and executed the scripts in the job file in sequence. #! /bin/ksh set -x while read line do $line.ksh if # mail the team fi done <"$file" The job file will be like abcd efgh ijkl mnop qrst This is working fine. I need to add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nw2unx123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and recursively enter new line after Nth character

Hi All, My file is a string of around 50K character. I'm trying to insert new line after every 320 character in my file. I know the command to insert newline, but problem is I'm not able to search 320th position. Please advice. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit786
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace nth to nth character?

Hi I got the following problem and I wonder if some could please help me out? I'd like to replace character 8 - 16 , 16 - 24 cat file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
2 Replies
Locale::Script(3perl)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Locale::Script(3perl)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. The ones currently supported are: alpha This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA". The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. numeric This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC". ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes Locale::Constants http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 Locale::Script(3perl)