Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Find Original user who executed the command Post 303009641 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 17th of December 2017 03:55:26 PM
Old 12-17-2017
You are stuck not being root. If you were root you could execute a command to find the process tree - probably ptree. This lets you step backwards from a running process through the processes that created it.

Not being root means you cannot do that. I cannot come up with a workaround. The sudo log won't help much, based on your description.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find the exit status for the last executed command

I am executing a find command in my script i.e find $2 -type f -name '*.gif' -mtime +$1 -exec rm {} \; how do i check that this command is executed properly.. i would lke t trap the errror and display my error message kinly help.. this is an urgent issue. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay.amirthraj
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Capturing commands executed by user

Hello Unix Champs, For keeping audit trail, I want to log the commands entered by the normal users, on their terminal into a text file. I tried putting a "script -a username.timestamp.txt" in the user profile file, but script command stops execution when user types exit or presses CTRL+D... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaven.haria
3 Replies

3. Solaris

I want to know whole day commands executed by particular user

Hi all I want to know the commands executed a by particular user .. for the whole day on my machine. I have checked out with the commad $lastcomm <user> It is throwing an error called: .. /var/adm/pacct: No such file or directory Can u help me in this regard.. Thank U... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
3 Replies

4. Solaris

whole day commands executed by particular user

Hi all I want to know the commands executed a by particular user .. for the whole day on my machine. I have checked out with the commad $lastcomm <user> It is throwing an error called: .. /var/adm/pacct: No such file or directory Can u help me in this regard.. Thank U Naree (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naree
1 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Help Required: Command to find IP address and command executed of a user

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would figure out who has run which command and their IP. As i dont have any clue as to which commands would do this job, i request some gurus to help me on this. Thanks Vishwas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedout
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture the original user

in our environment role ids are created in unix to which user does su. say my individual id is drout and a role is devid. i will login to drout the su - devid password : <nothing > password less role id then i will login to devid. can i write a function and pass it in a script while i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find last executed timestamp

Hi, on our hp-ux box we have 100s of shell scripts in a bin folder. Now i have to figure out which scripts are not being used at all. The timestamp for these are the ones when they were promoted to this 'bin' folder. Now, how can I find when was the last time each of these scripts were run? I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
2 Replies

8. AIX

How to find the log for executed command in IBM AIX?

In Unix If we executed any command where will generate the particluar log related to command in Unix. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find logon user based on executed script proc id

Hi, i have requirement to find logged in user based on process id. i have below scenario. 1. all my users will logon to unix box using ssh from windows system. 2. after successful logon they will sudo to common user. ex. sudo -su edadm lot of users are executing jobs from edadm user and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Tracking what commands were executed after sudo to another user

All team members has sudo access to user "batch55". Need to track all the commands used by team members after sudo to "batch55". Using HP-UX and ksh shell in our environment. How can i acheive this? Thanks In Advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatababu
2 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)