Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Awk: use variable defined in begin Post 303009431 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 14th of December 2017 11:18:55 AM
Old 12-14-2017
Try:
Code:
print incr

awk does not use a $ sign to get the value stored in the variable..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

environment variable is not defined

moved to correct thread (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alien12
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable with a user defined variable

I have a file that has a list of entries in a column x z z z x y z The column can have any length and any number of any strings. I need to replace each unique string with a user defined number. I can filter the unique entries out using awk '{if (NF==5) print $2}' file | uniq | nl >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ce124
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Force Input in User Defined Variable

In a line such as: echo -n "How many days back would you like to check? "; read days How can I ensure that the user has a.) entered a number between 1-30 (not 0 or 31+) and b.) has not just hit enter (ie set it to "") and if it's entered wrong, how do I start the if statement over? I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Variable Value defined in a Script

Hi , I had a script in which there is a variable $LOG defined and I want to check where that variable is getting value from, is there a way I can check for that variable and it's value if it is defined in some other script function or script . I checked using command env and also export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: somu_june
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to add user defined variable

Hi, I have a user defined variable _TIME1=xxx I am using awk command for pattern matching. cat $_LOCATION/catalina.txt | awk '/^`$_TIME1`:??:??/' It not taking the value of $_TIME! eg:I am using the command to get all the patter from 12:00:00 to 12:59:59 The user defined variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding WHERE an environment variable is defined.

HI. I had an environment variable defined in my .bash_profile file and I deleted it. I opened a new terminal and looked inside .bash_profile and it's not there but when I type printenv MYCONFIG it reutrns what the value used to be in my .bash_profile still!! I did a grep for MYCONFIG and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dissectcode
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Defined Variable from text file

Hi Guys, I have one text file ABC.txt...It have 3 lines List=/home/klk/dir/ABC.txt Leajnk123 KJUHIO1234 IJOKIJ7676 I want use as different variable of each line.Just like X=firstline Y=Secound Line Z=Third Line (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about awk - create a user-defined variable

Hi, guys, The content of file is below (from <UNIX® Shells by Example Fourth Edition>): My code is below: gawk -F'' ' { OFS = "****"; $3 = "(904)"; $8 = $5 + $6 + $7; print } ' lab3.data The result is below: So, where is the $1? Why is the variable $8 located at the wired position? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get variable defined in BASH subshell outside?

I'm a BASH shell user (relatively new) I need to get a variable calculated in a subshell, outside the subshell, when it completes. I can do it, by writing the variable into a file, and then reading the file again when outside the subshell. I've tried lots of things from exporting to environmental... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goreilly
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of a variable in awk BEGIN

Hi, diffcount=`awk 'BEGIN { while ( getline < "/scripts/matt/text.server1.reference" ) { arr++ } } { if (!( $0 in arr ) ) { print } }' $TMPDIR/$(basename $0 .sh) | wc -l` if ]; then OK="OK - No change in the interfaces status" elif ]; then DIFF=`awk 'BEGIN {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD