Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Automate a task
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Automate a task Post 303009277 by Samiran Dam on Tuesday 12th of December 2017 02:26:20 AM
Old 12-12-2017
Automate a task

Dear All,

I am relatively new to UNIX and wanted to accomplish a simple task which should be automated. That's why I need your help. I shall briefly describe what I want.

Basically, there is a process (X) (related to a particular software which I am using in my system) which automatically starts after some time and eats up a lot of resources resulting in slowing up other necessary processes running. So all I want is to -
STEP-1: periodically (it is better if I can set the the interval duration) check whether process-X has started or not
STEP-2: obtain the PID of the process-X
STEP-3: execute: "kill -9 <PID of process-X>"

And these three steps, I want to write as a script and that script should automatically check the status of process-X and take necessary action as long as my system is up.

Could anybody please help me to accomplish this.

- Sam.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process vs task

Hi, I am new to this forum and unix too. I have just started learning unix. As I was going through the first chapter, I read that unix is multitasking, multiprogramming, multiprocessing and multiuser OS. My question is: Is there any difference between a TASK and a PROCESS. How are PROCESS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hana
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment and Uncomment single task out of multiple task

I have a file contains TASK gsnmpproxy { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpProxy.exe } TASK gsnmpdbgui { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpdbgui.exe I would like to comment and than uncomment specific task eg TASK gsnmpproxy Pls suggest how to do in shell script (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a manual task

I have an ASCII file that I receive on a monthly bases that is fixed length. I break the file into separate files based on a 5 character numerical sequence. I have 20 different sequences I have to find. the input file looks something like this xy-ins 2008yuthnrlsinrthsntwilgrha33260001... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcalisi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse an XML task list to create each task.xml file

I have an task definition listing xml file that contains a list of tasks such as <TASKLIST <TASK definition="Completion date" id="Taskname1" Some other <CODE name="Code12" <Parameter pname="Dog" input="5.6" units="feet" etc /Parameter> <Parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script that can Automate Printer adding task in HP-UX servers

I want to make a script to automate printer adding task.My inputs are like Printer name : xyz Port number :9001 I should write a script to make the Printer adding task will be automated. Like in manually adding task we are doing through hppi or jetadmin tools. ---------- Post updated at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnilKPatnaik
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a help to automate a task

I need to automate a manual task using shell scripting. The scenario is like :- #!/usr/bin/sh echo "please enter the name of the lab server to test ..." read s ssh $s This is peace of the script which will allow me to login to another server using "ssh". I have a conf file which is having... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

task

Hi all, I'm newbie and stuck here. Thanks for any help. Input(txt file) a b X c d Y e f Z g h W Requested output: a b X Y c d Y X e f Z W g h W Z Please use code tags when posting data and code samples! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Task

Hi experts, I have a problem with the below shell task: I need to modify the file creatin a paired row , per each row which matches filter (e.g. number of nonempty columns = 5) Output should look like this: second row is original one from the input, first row(red) is pairing row, it's... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
29 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallelize a task that have for

Dear all, I'm a newbie in programming and I would like to know if it is possible to parallelize the script: for l in {1..1000} do cut -f$l quase2 |tr "\n" "," |sed 's/$/\ /g' |sed '/^$/d' >a_$l.t done I tried: for l in {1..1000} do cut -f$l quase2 |tr "\n" "," |sed 's/$/\ /g' |sed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with an easy task

Hello everyone my name is Telis and i just registered in this forum.. i just started programming in linux shell and i need help with this easy task.. this is my code #!/bin/sh echo "What is your First name?" read name if ; then echo "Hello Master." else echo "Who are you?" fi when i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Telis
2 Replies
intrbald(1M)															      intrbald(1M)

NAME
intrbald - daemon for balancing interrupts SYNOPSIS
interval | DESCRIPTION
Balancing interrupts is a process which distributes interrupts across the available CPUs in an optimal fashion. This action is performed by (see intctl(1M)). Performing frequent CPU migrations between system partitions may require you to perform periodic balancing of interrupts. This is espe- cially true with systems that use WLM (Workload Manager), iCAP (Instant Capacity), and vPars (Virtual Partitions) products. If the fre- quency of CPU migration is high, then balancing of interrupts should be performed more frequently. The daemon monitors the system for imbalance in interrupt distribution. If an imbalance is detected after the specified interval executes to balance the interrupt distribution. uses the parameters from the configuration file for balancing the interrupts. For more information about the command, see intctl(1M) and the configuration file. The daemon is started from the general purpose sequencer script (see rc(1M)), at run level 2 and is killed at run level 1. By default, the daemon is not enabled. The daemon configuration file must be edited and the parameter set to in order to enable running the daemon. After setting to for the first time, you can start the daemon manually by executing the script Otherwise, the daemon will automatically start the next time the system is restarted. Any actions performed by the daemon are logged in and details of interrupt migrations performed will be logged in the file Options recognizes the following options: Instructs the running daemon to reexamine the configuration file If the parameter has been updated, then the running daemon uses the new value. If the parameter is set to then the running daemon stops executing. The daemon checks if the system requires any balancing of interrupts after interval seconds; the valid range is 5 seconds to seconds (see limits(5)). This value can also be specified persistently in the configuration file by setting the parameter. The default value is 60 seconds. Setting this value too small can cause unnecessary interrupt migrations. Gracefully kills the running daemon. intrbald rc Configuration File is the configuration file. The following parameters can be persistently specified in this configuration file: Specifies if the daemon should be started automatically during the system bootup process by the script. The daemon will only be started automatically if this parameter is set to NOTE: This value is by default. Before using the daemon, needs to be changed to in the file. Then the daemon needs to be started, either manually by running or it will be started automatically at next boot via the script. The daemon checks if the system requires any interrupt balancing after this interval. The interval is specified in seconds; the valid range is 5 seconds to seconds (see lim- its(5)). The default is 60 seconds. Setting this value too small could cause unnecessary interrupt migrations. RETURN VALUE
Exit values are: Successful completion. An error condition occurred. WARNINGS
The command can be executed only by the superuser. This command should be used only by performance analysts for performance tuning pur- poses. If the interrupts are not redistributed properly, a possible decrease in overall system performance can occur. Some processors can become overloaded while other processors will not be optimally utilized. FILES
configuration file. See the section above. script. start symbolic link. kill symbolic link. daemon log file. SEE ALSO
intctl(1M), ioscan(1M), rc(1M), limits(5). intrbald(1M)