Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Python - store output of command to a variable Post 303007501 by atanubanerji on Friday 17th of November 2017 07:21:07 AM
Old 11-17-2017
Thank you very much Robin for your help.

I have to execute some action if the server is CentOS.

The server_description variable may or may not store CentOS key word among few other words. So I was thinking, if I could execute
"CentOS in server_description which would return either "True" or "False". If it is True, the python would perform some action. I have been advised to store the True or False value in another variable.

My problem is I am unable to store True or False in other variable, say, my_Check.

If I could do that, probably I could use the following -
Code:
if my_check == "True":
    do_something
else:
     do_otherthing

Could you please advice, how I can store a command's output, here, "CentOS in server_description in a variable (or any other python level command later) and use the value of the variable whenever required.
e.g.
Code:
server_description = "This is xyz abc of mno CentOS"
my_Check = "CentOS" in server_description
if my_Check == "True":
    print("This is CentOS")
else:
    print("This is NOT CentOS")

The output I am getting is "This is NOT CentOS"
CentOS 7.4 is OS version and Python 3.4.5
I could do it using shell, but I have been asked to use Python only, as the action to be performed based on the condition, if True or False, is already written in Python.
Please don't consider my objective is to print either CentOS or NOT CentOS, rather some other successfully written python code that I will be pasting in if or else section.

While testing, I found this, but not sure why it is not working...
Code:
>>> server_description = "CentOS"
>>> my_Check = "centos" in server_description
>>> my_Check
False
>>> my_Check = "CentOS" in server_description
>>> my_Check
True

Last edited by rbatte1; 11-17-2017 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Converted HTML to CODE or ICODE tags and corrected some spelling

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to store output in variable when put in background

Hi, How do I store following command output: export RESULT=`date` & It works when I do : export RESULT=`date` But what I need is when command put it background, I also need that output going to RESULT variable. Is there any way ? Thanks Sanjay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To store the output in a variable

Hi, I am getting the following error while executing the script. Please can someone throw some light where is the problem. Many thanks. ./check: temp: not found The directory related to SEP instance 4 does not exist. The script is as follows. SEP_APP="/scp/sepx/app... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudhakar333
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store the sql query's output in a variable

Hi, My requirement is : We are calling an sql statement from a UNIX session, and fetching data into some variables from a table .. now we are unable to access these variables from outside the SQL part. Please let me know how can I achieve this. Can you please share a code snippet which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesh_sasi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: How to store each output line into a different variable?

Example output: /tmp/generatelines.sh line1 line2 line3 line4 I want each output line assigned to its own variable, ie: "line1" --> $a "line2" --> $b "line3" --> $c "line4" --> $d Is this possible without writing to a temporary file? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksheller
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

store the output of "find" command in a variable?

I intend to find the path/full location of a file(filename given by user thru "read filenme") using "find" or any other command and then store it's output in a variable for some other processing. But struggling to put all things together (i.e finding the fully qualified location of that file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punitpa
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove column and store output to a variable

Hello guys I need to run a script to remove the last column of different comma separated files. The problem is that the number of columns of my files will be different and I won't know that number every time i run my script. Is there any command I can use to remove the last column without... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: loperam
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

date output store in variable problem

When I run following command date Output1 => Thu Sep 9 03:26:52 IST 2010 When I store in a varibale as a=`date` echo $a output2 => Thu Sep 9 03:27:02 IST 2010 The differnece is, it is trimming the space when I am storing the output in varibale. Output1 = Thu Sep 9 03:26:52 IST 2010... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravincpatil
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

store sqlplus output in variable

hi how can i store sqlplus output to a variable in sh script (not bash) Thanks MM (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murtymvvs
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to store output to a variable

I need some help: 1) I have a out put from a shell script, the out put looks like this: Attempting privilege escalation using sudo ... List backups for CLTST: Start date Status Ret. Class Label -------------------- ------------ ------------ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samk
2 Replies
weatherrc(5)							File Formats Manual						      weatherrc(5)

NAME
weatherrc - configuration file format for the weather(1) utility DESCRIPTION
The weatherrc file format is intended to specify a set of aliases by which to group URIs for METAR station conditions and alert/forecast zones, but other command-line options and flags for the weather utility can be specified as well. The file is organized as an INI-format config, with the alias name in [] brackets and the associated parameter/value pairs on following lines. Parameters and their values are separated by = or : characters. Multi-word values do not need quoting. These parameters are supported... alert include local alert notices (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) atypes list of alert notification types to display (ex: tornado_warning,urgent_weather_message) cache control all caching (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) cache_data control retrieved data caching (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) cache_search control search result caching (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) cacheage duration in seconds to refresh cached data (ex: 900) cachedir directory for storing cached searches and data (ex: ~/.weather) conditions output current conditions (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) defargs list of default command-line arguments (ex: avl,rdu) forecast include a local forecast (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) headers list of conditions headers to display (ex: temperature,wind) imperial filter/convert conditions for US/UK units (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) metric filter/convert conditions for metric units (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) quiet skip preambles and don't indent (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) setpath directory search path for correlation sets (ex: .:~/.weather) verbose show full decoded feeds (possible values are False and True or 0 and 1) EXAMPLES
The following is an example ~/.weather/weatherrc defining a couple aliases named home and work to be displayed when running the utility with no aliases specified... [default] defargs = home,work [home] description = Conditions and Forecast at Home forecast = True metar = http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KRDU.TXT zone_forecast = http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/forecasts/zone/nc/ncz041.txt [work] description = Conditions at Work metar = http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KGSO.TXT Now if weather is invoked by itself on the command line, it will output conditions for home and work, and also a forecast for home only. AUTHOR
Specification and manual written by Jeremy Stanley <fungi@yuggoth.org>. SEE ALSO
weather(1) 2.0 2012-06-24 weatherrc(5)