Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Running a script as root in the script Post 303007426 by robertkwild on Thursday 16th of November 2017 11:20:30 AM
Old 11-16-2017
i just want the user to run this simple script that i made to create an ftp user account with a home directpry and i thought a normal user cannot add directorys and make a user chmod chown etc etc -

Code:
#!/bin/bash

dir=/mnt/sftp
group=sftp_users

echo "Enter UserName:"
    read user

if id $user ; then
        echo "$user already exists as you can see above, please re-run the script"
        exit
        else
        echo "$user not in system, ok to continue"
    fi

echo "Enter Password:"
    read passwd
    echo "$user:$passwd" >> /ftp_details/accounts.csv
    echo "is this a normal user (press 1) ?"
    read choice

case $choice in
        1)
            useradd -g $group -d $dir/$user -s /sbin/nologin $user
            mkdir -p $dir/$user/data
            chown root $dir/$user
            chmod 755 $dir/$user
            chown $user $dir/$user/data
            chmod 755 $dir/$user/data
            touch $dir/$user/data/WARNING_everything_in_here_will_get_removed_in_14_days_time.txt
            ;;
        *)
            echo "invalid selection, please re-run the script"
            exit
            ;;
    esac

echo $user:$passwd | chpasswd

This User Gave Thanks to robertkwild For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a command or script as root

I'm writing an application (Progress language) that needs to: 1) load the contents of a cron table into the Progress application; 2) display this information in a human manner and allow a select group of people to update it (these people are logged in as themselves, not as root); 3) save... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm-r
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

As root , running script as different user with su - problem

Dear All I am running into a situation where I am running a script as another user lets say oracle using su command as below, and the script fails because the .profile of oracle is not executed so the environment variables are not set. cat /etc/passwd | grep oracle... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbsupp
4 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Running script through SSH as root

Hi all, I have a situation where I have a shell script that I need to run remotely on multiple *nix machines via SSH. Unfortunately, some of the commands in it require root access. I know that best practices for ssh entail configuring it so that the root account cannot log in, you need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: irinotecan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue running script as root

1) Environment:Red Hat Linux, bash shell Script to be run owned by user :myUser Home environment of myUser: pathto/home 2) ESP agent with root access will run JobXXX.sh su - myUser -c "/pathto/home/bin/script.sh" where script.sh has some echo statements and an exit statement in the end... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cj09
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for running root based C++ code

Hi all, I have to run C++ file using root programming, using following commands: $root -l root .L TwoTrees.C++ root TwoTrees t root t.Loop() root.q I wonder if I can write script to do the following. Thanks Pooja (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script as root but with different users inside

Hi All, my script.sh has the below lines, and i need to run the script as root or wam. please tell me if this will work #!/bin/bash sudo -t wam /usr/local/wam/stopwam -r ------- this needs run as wam user /usr/local/web/stopweb -a --- this needs to run as... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Root running a script calling to scp using user "xyz" is not authenticating!

Close duplicate thread. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: denissi
0 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)