Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to print full path name along with file extension? Post 303007316 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 15th of November 2017 08:13:57 AM
Old 11-15-2017
Bash variable substitution option

Even this could do the trick:-
Code:
#!/bin/bash

while read full_filename
do
   directory="${full_filename%/*}/"
   filenames="*.${full_filename##*.}"
   echo "${directory}${filenames}"
done < <(find /abc -type f) | sort -u

I'm not saying it's pretty; it is just another alternative if that suits your coding style. It uses very few processes, which might be important to performance if you have lots of files.

Assuming that this is to be used by something else that will expand it all again, is there a reason not to build this process into that code and remove the need to juggle it all and then re-expand?

Can you elaborate?

Robin

Last edited by rbatte1; 11-15-2017 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: Smartened code
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process executable file full path

hi guys i give "ps -ef | grep some_executable_file" on the command line. this "some_executable_file" resides on many paths which r included in the PATH environment variable, so the output depicts only "some_executable_file" in the COMMAND column. how can i get the full path? thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtrix
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

list all files with full path of the file

How can i list every single file on a sun solaris server running 2.8 starting from '/' with the full path included in it? example. / ... ... ... /etc/inetd.conf /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ... ... ... /var/adm/messages /var/adm/messages.0 /var/adm/messages.1 ... ... ...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sowser
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to find the file with full path

Hi, I have written this shell script: fl=`ls -1lrt $mylist | grep '\.xml$' | awk '{print $9}'` echo $fl (1) for i in $fl do for dir in $mylist do if then echo $dir/$i >> tmp (2) fi done done The mylist contains some directory names. The satement (1) gives the sorted list... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: surjyap
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

list file with full path

This has been bugging me for a while. How can i list file to show full path. /directory/test $ ls file.tst file.tst $ desired output: /directory/test/file.tst (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto Print File Path or Print the Filename

I'm trying to clean up my samba share and need to print the found file or print the path of the image it tried to searched for. So far I have this but can't seem to get the logic right. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? for FILE in `cat list`; do if ; then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: overkill
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return Full File Path To Array PERL

Iam trying to load the full path of multiplie files in the same directory to an array if the filenames matches a pattern. The following is the current code; where $input=C:\test # change to and open the comparison directory chdir("$input2") || die "Cannot change dir: $!"; opendir(DIR2,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cold_Que
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep File Full Path in a file

Hi, I would like to know how to grep all the paths in a file having extension .BMP For e.g. File Name : sample.txt File Content : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx/root/cdrive/picure.BMP xxxx xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx/root/ddrive/picure.BMP xxxx xxxxxxxxxxx Expected Output : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdivb
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to trim folder and files within a path that share a common file extension

The bash will trim the folder to trim folder. Within each of the folders (there may be more than 1) and the format is always the same, are several .bam and matching .bam.bai files (file structure) and the bashunder that executes and trims the .bam as expected but repeats the.bam.bai extentions... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
9 Replies
FS_WHEREIS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_WHEREIS(1)

NAME
fs_whereis - Reports each file server housing a file or directory SYNOPSIS
fs whereis [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs whe [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs whereis command returns the name of each file server machine that houses the volume containing each directory or file named by the -path argument. OPTIONS
-path <dir/file path>+ Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the host file server machine. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each specified directory or file. It names the file server machine on which the volume that houses the specified directory or file resides. A list of multiple machines indicates that the directory or file is in a replicated volume. Machine names usually have a suffix indicating their cell membership. If the cell is not clear, use the fs whichcell command to display the cell in which the directory or file resides. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command. EXAMPLES
The following example indicates that volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com resides is replicated on both "fs1.abc.com" and "fs3.abc.com": % fs whereis -path /afs/abc.com File /afs/abc.com is on hosts fs1.abc.com fs3.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_whichcell(1), fs_wscell(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WHEREIS(1)