Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System cannot boot up
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users System cannot boot up Post 303007091 by hicksd8 on Saturday 11th of November 2017 06:43:04 AM
Old 11-11-2017
Yes, because you didn't remove all power, ie, all power cables disconnected.

The service processor is talking to the main system (trying to talk to Solaris as console). Do what is says and type

Code:
#.

(That's a hash keystroke followed by a period keystroke. No 'return' needed.)

And you should get the service processor prompt. You might need to bash the return key a couple of times to wake it up.

You can then issue SC processor reconfigure commands or, more likely, a 'boot' command.

If it fails to boot normally, try putting your Solaris distribution media into the DVD drive and boot from that into single user:

Code:

ok> boot cdrom -s

That will tell you whether the hardware is capable of running Solaris or you have a hardware fault.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System boot configuration

On my PC I have two hard disks, the first with Windows 98 SE and the second with Linux Mandrake 8.0 (Traktopel). When I have installed Linux, it has modified the boot record of the 1st HD and it has added a graphic menu (LILO) for selecting the OS to use. By default, if I don't press a key, Linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotronic
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Boot from a remote system

I have a diskless work station. i want to boot from a remote linux machine. what changes i will have to do in configuration. Plz tell me thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemant29
1 Replies

3. SCO

Can't boot system--help

I get a message saying Not enough space to dump xxxxx pages Press any key to reboot Safe to power off After rebooting it never gets to the "Press CTRL D to continue or enter password for single user" message before it goes back to "Not enough space..." message above. Vicious cycle. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deloev
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help boot system erro

being nosey on sons laptop and set a password and now need to undo this but its in the boot system :eek::eek::eek: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hempel
4 Replies

5. Solaris

System boot up log file

Hi, where can I check the system boot up log file like those message when the system booting up.... Thanks. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: efang
14 Replies

6. AIX

System Hanging on boot

Hello: Hope someone can help. Yesterday we did a mksysb backup of one of our AIX boxes and now the server is hanging at "Multi-User initialization completed" prompt. Can someone help in troubleshooting this error? If you need more info please just let me know what you need. I'm not that... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
17 Replies

7. Solaris

System will not boot

We have a system that won't boot. It is Sun V245 that was patched yesterday with the latest Recommended 10 patch cluster. I will post what we get during the boot at the end of the email message. We have tried rebuilding the bootblk, booting from the cdrom, and running an fsck, booting into failsafe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

System fail to boot

Hi im using centos 6.4 starting yesterday i have a strange issue that im unable to resolve. the system is booting to GRUB menu and the os is not starting. i tried to run a repair install and the message attached is what i get, what can cause this? thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guy3145
1 Replies

9. AIX

System can't boot up after power outage

Hello Forum, I am very newbie with AIX. We have 2 AIX 9111-285 servers. The OS version is 5.3. After the power outage, they did not come up. I try to unplug the power cable and re-connect after 1 minutes but do not help. Both display the same reference code 110000AC on the front panel... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lilyn
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent: UNIX system does not boot

UNIX sco release 5.05 system does not boot: cannot open device hd(40)/boot stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/boot what to do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Joaoalpande
1 Replies
xfs_freeze(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     xfs_freeze(8)

NAME
xfs_freeze - suspend access to an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_freeze -f | -u mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_freeze suspends and resumes access to an XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). xfs_freeze halts new access to the filesystem and creates a stable image on disk. xfs_freeze is intended to be used with volume managers and hardware RAID devices that support the creation of snapshots. The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be frozen (see mount(8)). The -f flag requests the specified XFS filesystem to be frozen from new modifications. When this is selected, all ongoing transactions in the filesystem are allowed to complete, new write system calls are halted, other calls which modify the filesystem are halted, and all dirty data, metadata, and log information are written to disk. Any process attempting to write to the frozen filesystem will block waiting for the filesystem to be unfrozen. Note that even after freezing, the on-disk filesystem can contain information on files that are still in the process of unlinking. These files will not be unlinked until the filesystem is unfrozen or a clean mount of the snapshot is complete. The -u flag is used to un-freeze the filesystem and allow operations to continue. Any filesystem modifications that were blocked by the freeze are unblocked and allowed to complete. One of -f or -u must be supplied to xfs_freeze. NOTES
A copy of a frozen XFS filesystem will usually have the same universally unique identifier (UUID) as the original, and thus may be pre- vented from being mounted. The XFS nouuid mount option can be used to circumvent this issue. In Linux kernel version 2.6.29, the interface which XFS uses to freeze and unfreeze was elevated to the VFS, so that this tool can now be used on many other Linux filesystems. SEE ALSO
xfs(5), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_freeze(8)