Sponsored Content
The Lounge War Stories Interesting script issue clubbed with crontab. Post 303006555 by bakunin on Friday 3rd of November 2017 10:57:04 AM
Old 11-03-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavinderSingh13
find -type f -exec grep -l "old_user" {} \+
A trick i have learned here (and i am ashamed i can't remember from who) is to always add a second file to grep when using it this way.

grep, when called with a single file, will not show the file name where it found something:

Code:
find /some/where -type f -exec grep "bla foo" {} \;
whatever bla foo something
another hit bla foo

But write it like this:
Code:
find /some/where -type f -exec grep "bla foo" /dev/null {} \;

and grep will add the file names of the files at the beginning of the line.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab Issue

I have a backup script that is suppose to run every night of the week, but it never does, it starts to run. The way I can tell is that the dates on dump_log are changing to when the script runs. If I look in the cron log file is shows ! > root 506342 cr /etc/back_up Fri Aug 5 10:30:00... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickyt00
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issue in Solaris OS in crontab for running shell script

Hello i have a shell script. it is running fine when i manually run at command prompt using following command ./script_file but while running shell script from crontab, it is giving error in each line. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mabrar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Report filtering - Weird issue and interesting - UrgentPlease

Hi, Could any one help me to extract data from a report. I would like to get the two lines which are just below the separations I have a report like this -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Pid Command Inuse Pin Pgsp Virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crontab issue

I am adding a piece of code which adds entry in crontab ((in brown color)) \crontab -l > $tmpfile echo "Removing the cleanProcess entry if it already existed.." grep -v "cleanProcess.sh" $tmpfile > $newtmpfile lcnt=`grep -c "cleanProcess.sh" $tmpfile` echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
4 Replies

5. Programming

Interesting issue with pthread_mutex_lock and siglongjmp in AIX 5.3 (and no other OS)

Executive summary: Code (posted below) cores in AIX 5.3, despite being compiled and run successfully on several other operating systems. Code is attempting to verify that pthread_mutex_lock can be successfully aborted by siglongjmp. I do not believe this is an unreasonable requirement. If... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue with running script with crontab

I am facing a strange issue while running a script(eg A) from the crontab entry the script calls one more script(eg B) within it now when i run the script A manually(with nohup) it also executes the script B (embedded inside it) as expected. but when i run the script A from the crontab entry... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab issue

Helo . I have 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4smp here. I am trying to make crontab execute my simple shell script, but noting happens. here is how i am testing this : $ pwd /home/oracle $ ls -l two* ls: two*: No such file or directory $ $ crontab -e crontab: installing new crontab $ $ crontab... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Long and interesting but harmless Terminal script

Hi, I was mucking around with Maven for Eclipse the other day, working on an audio visual project and I was struck by how cool the terminal executing massive amounts of commands is. I have an odd request. I was wondering if people knew of a terminal script that outputed a lot of data,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Red_beardo
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab issue

hi, i have schduled a job through crontab, but it is not getting executed. bash-3.2$ crontab -l # Monthly Download (mm hh DD MM format) 35 05 01 04 * /home/ftpsrp/srpftp1/download/ofrdb/scripts/load_ofrdb.sh crr.sh here is the permission of the .sh files -rwxr--r-- 1 ftpsrp srp ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in running shell script in crontab

I'm having a shell script which has to be run only once at the specified time. Shell script is like following, #!/bin/bash db2 connect to XXX > connection_status.txt This script is scheduled in crontab as following, 50 4 8 5 0 sh script.sh scheduled script is run at the specified time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajkumar Gandhi
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD