Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk sed to repeat every character on same position from the upper line replacing whitespace Post 303006344 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 31st of October 2017 04:44:05 PM
Old 10-31-2017
Building on what you had come up with, try:
Code:
awk -F'[^ ]' '
{	current_len = length($1)
	last_len = length(last_line)
	len = current_len > last_len ? last_len : current_len
	last_line = substr(last_line, 1, len) substr($0, len + 1)
	print last_line
}' file

Note that this code resets itself when it sees an empty line. So, with the following in a file named file:
Code:
t e s t string 1 2 3 4 5
        sample a b c d e
        othersample 1 2 3 4 5

text 1 string 9 7 8 6
       something x \ / x
                 else 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

the above code produces the output:
Code:
t e s t string 1 2 3 4 5
t e s t sample a b c d e
t e s t othersample 1 2 3 4 5

text 1 string 9 7 8 6
text 1 something x \ / x
text 1 something else 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

which I think matches what you want.

If someone else wants to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk to nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

error while replacing a string by new line character in sed

hi, when i am doing the following things getting error Can anyone please suggest i have a file where there is a line like the following branch=dev sdf dev jin kilii fin kale boyle dev james dev i want to search the existance of dev in the above line. cat "$file" | sed -n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED: Can't Repeat Search Character in SED Output

I'm not sure if the problem I'm seeing is an artifact of sed or simply a beginner's mistake. Here's the problem: I want to add a zero-width space following each underscore between XML tags. For example, if I had the following xml: <MY_BIG_TAG>This_is_a_test</MY_BIG_TAG> It should look like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhetoric101
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text from n position to n position sed/awk

I want to remove text from nth position to nth position couple of times in same line my line is "hello is there anyone can help me with this question" I need like this ello is there anyone can help me with question 'h' is removed and 'this' removed from the line. I want to do this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete character in determinate position with sed/awk

Hello. I'm trying to delete one character in determinate position. Example: qwEtsdf123Ecv34 <delete character in positión 3> Result: qwtsdf123Ecv34 Plase, help me. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maria_florencia
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

position of character in a line

i want to find the position of a character in a line , the first position, last, 5th occurence position , i ve tried grep -n , and expr index but they dont fit the bill. Please let me know if there is any other alternative (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpsnook
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk delete character in the lines before and after the matching line

Sample file: This is line one, this is another line, this is the PRIMARY INDEX line l ; This is another line The command should find the line with “PRIMARY INDEX” and remove the last character from the line preceding it (in this case , comma) and remove the first character from the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KC_Rules
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat line convert upper line

HI Guys, My Input :- R3 AV44 50 0 100 100 100 R3 AV44 1 0 100 100 100 R3 AV45 50 0 100 100 100 R3 AV45 0 3 100 100 100 R3 AV45S 50 0 100 100 100 R3 AV45S 0 4 100 100 100 Output :- R3 AV44 50 0 100 100 100 1 0 100 100 100 R3 AV45 50 0 100 100 100 0 3 100 100 100 R3 AV45S 50 0... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed to print the character from the previous line after the regexp match

Hi All, I need to print the characters in the previous line just before the regular expression match Please have a look at the input file as attached I need to match the regular expression ^ with the character of the previous like and also the pin numbers and the output file should be like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)