Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Type of UNIX applications
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Type of UNIX applications Post 303005088 by Corona688 on Thursday 12th of October 2017 02:37:41 PM
Old 10-12-2017
You are asking us to enumerate the universe. Not only would that be a lengthy undertaking, most of the things we list would be things you probably don't have. Only you can tell us what you do have.

A good start would be to get a list of all running system services. From there you can look into what each of them are configured to do.

Last edited by Corona688; 10-12-2017 at 03:51 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

you have more and one unix type?

As a formem unix newbe I Just wanted to tell you about this cool site for all you confused people. If you need to support more than one unix type: Use this one. It's a life saver. http://www.unixguide.net/unixguide.shtml here (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunbird
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

executing applications/commands on a unix server from a windows PC

i have a network drive (samba) mounted on to my PC and also i have SSH client on my machine. however i need to run applications/commands on a unix server from the middle of a different executable(windows compatable one). so i need to connect to the unix server from SSH through the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What kind of security applications UNIX and Windows have in common?

Hi guys, may I know what kind of security applications do UNIX and Windows have in common? This is related to a project that is approaching its deadline, so would you all please be kind enough to help me? Thank You. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: austintham
0 Replies

4. Programming

Platform type in Unix

Hi all, How does one get the platform type in UNIX (for e.g. sparc/i386)? I need an function call and not the command like uname -p. thanks! (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
24 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX kernel type?

Hai guys,This is my first question. What type of UNIX kernel is? (W.K.T linux kernel is monolithic) Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Felicia23
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix version/type

Hi, How can I find out what unix I am using? Thanks C19 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check which type of storage is used in unix

SunOS 5.10 Generic_142900-15 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5240 how can i check the storage type being used in unix solaris sparc system? please help me its urgnet.. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aesgs
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I rebuild applications that developed in UNIX? I need to use it in windows os with cygwin

I need to rebuild an application that developed in unix environment and run in windows OS with cygwin. so How can I rebuild from the source code? is there any one who said something on this regard? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bejirond
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command to know the applications

Hi, I have a unix server, I want to know which user applicaions are running on that server. Is there any command ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Developing Applications for UNIX.COM

A number of people have asked me about the best way to develop some cool new web app for UNIX.COM. In today's "very easy web dev" world, developers do not need to be burdened (like I am) to the "back end" of the site. The best way to develop web apps is to build the application on your desktop... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
Sys::Hostname::Long(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Sys::Hostname::Long(3pm)

NAME
Sys::Hostname::Long - Try every conceivable way to get full hostname SYNOPSIS
use Sys::Hostname::Long; $host_long = hostname_long; DESCRIPTION
How to get the host full name in perl on multiple operating systems (mac, windows, unix* etc) DISCUSSION
This is the SECOND release of this code. It has an improved set of tests and improved interfaces - but it is still often failing to get a full host name. This of course is the reason I wrote the module, it is difficult to get full host names accurately on each system. On some systems (eg: Linux) it is dependent on the order of the entries in /etc/hosts. To make it easier to test I have testall.pl to generate an output list of all methods. Thus even if the logic is incorrect, it may be pos- sible to get the full name. Attempt via many methods to get the systems full name. The Sys::Hostname class is the best and standard way to get the system hostname. However it is missing the long hostname. Special thanks to David Sundstrom and Greg Bacon for the original Sys::Hostname SUPPORT
This is the original list of platforms tested. MacOS Macintosh Classic OK Win32 MS Windows (95,98,nt,2000...) 98 OK MacOS X Macintosh 10 OK (other darwin) Probably OK (not tested) Linux Linux UNIX OS OK Sparc OK HPUX H.P. Unix 10? Not Tested Solaris SUN Solaris 7? OK (now) Irix SGI Irix 5? Not Tested FreeBSD FreeBSD OK A new list has now been compiled of all the operating systems so that I can individually keep informaiton on their success. THIS IS IN NEED OF AN UPDATE AFTER NEXT RELEASE. Acorn - Not yet tested AIX - Not yet tested Amiga - Not yet tested Atari - Not yet tested AtheOS - Not yet tested BeOS - Not yet tested BSD - Not yet tested BSD/OS - Not yet tested Compaq - Not yet tested Cygwin - Not yet tested Concurrent - Not yet tested DG/UX - Not yet tested Digital - Not yet tested DEC OSF/1 - Not yet tested Digital UNIX - Not yet tested DYNIX/ptx - Not yet tested EPOC - Not yet tested FreeBSD - Not yet tested Fujitsu-Siemens - Not yet tested Guardian - Not yet tested HP - Not yet tested HP-UX - Not yet tested IBM - Not yet tested IRIX - Not yet tested - 3rd hand information might be ok. Japanese - Not yet tested JPerl - Not yet tested Linux Debian - Not yet tested Gentoo - Not yet tested Mandrake - Not yet tested Red Hat- Not yet tested Slackware - Not yet tested SuSe - Not yet tested Yellowdog - Not yet tested LynxOS - Not yet tested Mac OS - Not yet tested Mac OS X - OK 20040315 (v1.1) MachTen - Not yet tested Minix - Not yet tested MinGW - Not yet tested MiNT - Not yet tested MPE/iX - Not yet tested MS-DOS - Not yet tested MVS - Not yet tested NetBSD - Not yet tested NetWare - Not yet tested NEWS-OS - Not yet tested NextStep - Not yet tested Novell - Not yet tested NonStop - Not yet tested NonStop-UX - Not yet tested OpenBSD - Not yet tested ODT - Not yet tested OpenVMS - Not yet tested Open UNIX - Not yet tested OS/2 - Not yet tested OS/390 - Not yet tested OS/400 - Not yet tested OSF/1 - Not yet tested OSR - Not yet tested Plan 9 - Not yet tested Pocket PC - Not yet tested PowerMAX - Not yet tested Psion - Not yet tested QNX 4 - Not yet tested 6 (Neutrino) - Not yet tested Reliant UNIX - Not yet tested RISCOS - Not yet tested SCO - Not yet tested SGI - Not yet tested Symbian - Not yet tested Sequent - Not yet tested Siemens - Not yet tested SINIX - Not yet tested Solaris - Not yet tested SONY - Not yet tested Sun - Not yet tested Stratus - Not yet tested Tandem - Not yet tested Tru64 - Not yet tested Ultrix - Not yet tested UNIX - Not yet tested U/WIN - Not yet tested Unixware - Not yet tested VMS - Not yet tested VOS - Not yet tested Windows CE - Not yet tested 3.1 - Not yet tested 95 - Not yet tested 98 - Not yet tested Me - Not yet tested NT - Not yet tested 2000 - Not yet tested XP - Not yet tested z/OS - Not yet tested KNOWN LIMITATIONS
Unix Most unix systems have trouble working out the fully quallified domain name as it to be configured somewhere in the system correctly. For example in most linux systems (debian, ?) the fully qualified name should be the first entry next to the ip number in /etc/hosts 192.168.0.1 fred.somwhere.special fred If it is the other way around, it will fail. Mac TODO
Contributions David Dick Graeme Hart Piotr Klaban * Extra code from G * Dispatch table * List of all operating systems. Solaris * Fall back 2 - TCP with DNS works ok * Also can read /etc/defaultdomain file SEE ALSO
L<Sys::Hostname> AUTHOR
Scott Penrose <scottp@dd.com.au> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2001,2004,2005 Scott Penrose. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-03-12 Sys::Hostname::Long(3pm)