Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Idea for a New Forum Front End Using Unity and SciFi Assets Post 303004868 by Neo on Tuesday 10th of October 2017 09:15:12 AM
Old 10-10-2017
It's good to be "old school" but that should never stop anyone from learning new technologies (learning "new school").

In fact, the "secret" (so many wise gurus say) is to always keep the mind of the beginner, open to new possibilities and new things.

There is a book about this "secret" by a Japanese Zen master called:

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki

It's a great book; and it can be summarized quite easily:

Quote:
"The secret to life is to always keep the mind of the beginner. The "beginner's mind" is always open to learning and to the wonder of new, unlimited possibilities. In contrast, the "expert's mind" tends to be closed to learning and has little passion for a world of new possibilities."
Never stop learning and keep the mind of the beginner. This is the secret!

In the past year (for example) I learned game programming in Unity 3D from scratch, including learning object oriented C# from scratch. It was truly a remarkable and fun year! It is also hard to believe that in less than a year after I started that project, the project was featured in a press release on ResearchGate.

I read and listen to science, math, physics, and other books daily; and watch MIT classes on the same topics on YouTube, and also watch physics, science, math, computer game programming, and similar videos on YT every day.

Also, exercise....

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John J. Ratey, MD.

Most people think exercise is for the body, but in reality, according to modern science, it's the brain which benefits the most from exercise. Dr. Ratey's famous book above is a great read on this topic!
This User Gave Thanks to Neo For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Front end on Unix

Hi, I would like to develop a user interface on Solaris. Can anybody throw some light on currently available software utilities/ packages..? Thanks in Advance .. JS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibz
4 Replies

2. Programming

Running exe's from front end

Hi, I have created a tool which analyses and debugs cobol programs on Unix environment usin the C files. I now want to create a frontend for the tool in windows. For this i need to establish some kinda communication between the front the end and the back end. I know pipes in one way of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sinbad
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove space in front or end of each field

Hi, I have a txt file called a.txt which contain over 10,000 records and I would like to remove space before comma or after comma....like below: The input (for example two record 00001,00002): 00001,client,card limited ,02292,N ,162:41 , 192, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed $ appending to front, not to the end

I keep trying to append some astrix to the end of a line, but it keeps overwriting at the front of the line. These are the originals Fred Fardbarkle:674-843-1385:20 Parak Lane, Duluth, MN 23850:4/12/23:780900 Fred Fardbarkle:674-843-1385:20 Parak Lane, Duluth, MN 23850:4/12/23:780900 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrSammyD
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Communicate to the OS(linux) using front end.

Hi guys , I want to develop a web page which is capable of executing the command on os and show the output on the browser.(Which involves reading and writing too.) I m using jsp language to develop the web page. How would i use it to communicate with my linux server? Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping double quotes from front and end of a line

I have a file and some records may contain double quotes at beginning and at end of line. So how do I strip them? For Example, file is somethings like this Field1;Field2;Field3 01;'Test';'Test Field3' "01;'This is 2nd field';This is 3rd field' " Desired Output is: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
6 Replies

7. Programming

Publish notification via application front end

hi All I use tomcat server to publish war file. How to send an notification to users via the application screen and it should dismiss once user clicks X mark. Any suggestions ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil529
0 Replies

8. Programming

Recommendation: gede - graphical gdb front-end

gede is a graphical debugger, a front-end for good ole uncle gdb. gede doesn't need a specialized gdb version. :b: Unfortunately its a qt app, nevertheless it fits well in a gtk desktop environment.:eek: Its author Johan Henriksson is a smart and nice guy always open for bug reports and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dodona
2 Replies
CLASP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CLASP(1)

NAME
clasp - a conflict-driven nogood learning answer set solver SYNOPSIS
clasp [number][options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the clasp command. clasp is an answer set solver for (extended) normal logic programs. It combines the high-level modeling capacities of answer set program- ming (ASP) with state-of-the-art techniques from the area of Boolean constraint solving. The primary clasp algorithm relies on conflict- driven nogood learning, a technique that proved very successful for satisfiability checking (SAT). Unlike other learning ASP solvers, clasp does not rely on legacy software, such as a SAT solver or any other existing ASP solver. Rather, clasp has been genuinely developed for answer set solving based on conflict-driven nogood learning. clasp can be applied as an ASP solver (on LPARSE output format), as a SAT solver (on simplified DIMACS/CNF format), or as a PB solver (on OPB format). OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see <http://www.cs.uni-potsdam.de/clasp/>. -h, --help Show summary of options. -v, --version Show version of program. SEE ALSO
gringo(1). AUTHOR
clasp was written by Benjamin Kaufmann <kaufmann@cs.uni-potsdam.de>. This manual page was written by Thomas Krennwallner <tkren@kr.tuwien.ac.at>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 4, 2010 CLASP(1)