Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) OSX: ./Users/myname OR. /usr/myname ? 1) what is the truth on UNIX ./usr/ directory. Post 303004700 by [MA]Flying_Meat on Friday 6th of October 2017 06:24:00 PM
Old 10-06-2017
I may be waaaaayyyy off base here, but I had always considered /usr as a receptacle for things that aren't part of the base OS.
As there are /bin and /sbin, there are /usr/bin and /usr/sbin. These are for third party additions of binaries or scripts.
Likewise, /usr/local/bin and usr/local/sbin for things the user creates for themselves.

Third part application bundles though, should go in /Applications for all users, or /Users/username/Applications (not a thing, by default, and the applications have to be able to handle that location, too).

What reeeeeeealy bugs me is the undefined status of what is an Application, and what is a Utility. Smilie
Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

losing /usr/bin directory

I need help figuring out why I lose /usr/bin directory sometimes it goes down 3-4 times a day and I have to link them back using ln - /usr/bin bin I cannot figure out why this is happenning (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: smatherly
23 Replies

2. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

#!/usr/bin/env : perl no such file or directory

hi i have some perl scripts with shebang line as (#! /usr/bin/env perl ) instead of actual absolute path of perl ( i know why its that way ) everything works fine from command line , the problem is when i am trying to run those scripts from web ( local web tool ) it throws error as /usr/bin/env :... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ps -u myname

I got these results. PID TTY TIME CMD 8535 pts/24 0:00 ksh 8528 ? 0:00 sshd 7949 pts/23 0:00 ksh 7878 ? 0:00 sshd I've got two sessions running - is that the ksh entries? I have one background job running that I submitted # 7435 - that'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ido1957
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solved: Missing whatis file from my /usr/shar/lib directory...

My whatis file is missing from my /usr/share/lib directory. I know I can recreate it by using catman -w command. My question is, why do all of my other servers have it and this one doesn't. Maybe due to a recent move of old to new servers and it just wasn't copied over. Unlikely, 'cause all... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
0 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to create or delete a directory in /usr with root user

Hi All, I am trying to uninstall jdk 1.5 from my Solaris 10 64 bit but some how was not successful.so tried to delete the folder of jdk from /usr but its throughing error as: Unable to remove directory jdk: Read-only file system Even I tried to create a dir in /usr but its not allowing me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pshah
4 Replies

8. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting error: /usr/bin/env: ruby: No such file or directory

Hi, I installed ruby using rvm with root user on Linux. Now i m trying the below command as a non root user with sudo privileges. sudo /usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/bin/gem install passenger I get the below error: I had even reset the path for both gem as well as ruby as you... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
whereis(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					       whereis(1B)

NAME
whereis - locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/whereis [-bmsu] [-BMS directory... -f] filename... DESCRIPTION
The whereis utility locates source/binary and manuals sections for specified files. The supplied names are first stripped of leading path- name components and any (single) trailing extension of the form .ext, for example, .c. Prefixes of s. resulting from use of source code control are also dealt with. whereis then attempts to locate the desired program in a list of standard places: etc /sbin /usr/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/ccs/lib /usr/lang /usr/lbin /usr/lib /usr/sbin /usr/ucb /usr/ucblib /usr/ucbinclude /usr/games /usr/local /usr/local/bin /usr/new /usr/old /usr/hosts /usr/include /usr/etc OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b Searches only for binaries. -B Changes or otherwise limits the places where whereis searches for binaries. -f Terminates the last directory list and signals the start of file names, and must be used when any of the -B, -M, or -S options are used. -m Searches only for manual sections. -M Changes or otherwise limits the places where whereis searches for manual sections. -s Searches only for sources. -S Changes or otherwise limit the places where whereis searches for sources. -u Searches for unusual entries. A file is said to be unusual if it does not have one entry of each requested type. Thus `whereis -m -u *' asks for those files in the current directory which have no documentation. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Finding files Find all files in /usr/bin which are not documented in /usr/share/man/man1 with source in /usr/src/cmd: example% cd /usr/ucb example% whereis -u -M /usr/share/man/man1 -S /usr/src/cmd -f * FILES
o /usr/src/* o /usr/{doc,man}/* o /etc, /usr/{lib,bin,ucb,old,new,local} ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chdir(2), attributes(5) BUGS
Since whereis uses chdir(2) to run faster, pathnames given with the -M, -S, or -B must be full; that is, they must begin with a `/'. SunOS 5.11 10 Jan 2000 whereis(1B)