Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to avoid arguments inside Nawk command? Post 303004601 by mohtashims on Thursday 5th of October 2017 06:14:28 AM
Old 10-05-2017
Tools How to avoid arguments inside Nawk command?

Hi,

Here is my command

Quote:
mypid=`/usr/ucb/ps auxwww | grep $i | grep $2 | grep -v grep | nawk 'NR==1{print $2}'`
Code:
print $2

was meant to select the second column however, it is getting substituted with the second argument that was passed to the script.

Can you please tell me how can I resolve this ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

two arguments with nawk program

Can someone help me to understand this part of code? /bin/nawk -f awkfile file1 file2 I know awkfile is the one with awk script. file1 is source file that needs to be processed. What is file2 two? Thanks for your help! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

case command inside awk/nawk

well I found lot of topics about awk..about if command in awk.. but I had to implement this: nawk -F"|" ' $47 ~ /0R0011/ { print > ("/home/user/M/MC.tmp" )} $47 ~ /0R0012/ { print > ("/home/user/M/DuSI.tmp" )} $47 ~ /0R0014/ { print > ("/home/user/M/FF.tmp" )} $47 ~ /0R0018/ { print >... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulaziz
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using cp command inside nawk

Hello I have facing issue while using cp command inside nawk block. #!/bin/ksh my_name=$1 nawk -v my_name1=$my_name 'BEGIN { n = split(my_name1,names,":"); for (i=1;i<=n;i++) { print names; cpcmd = "cp " /tmp/test.txt" " ./sample system(cpcmd) } exit }' exit 0 i'am getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piscean_n
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading input record from inside nawk

Hi friends, I have small query with reg to awk search pattern.. below is my sample file and code which i tried.. $ cat file.txt xxx,yyyyy,messageID,sha xxxx,errorcode,messageID,name in the above sample file - let assume I know the errorcode(2nd record) using which I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing arguments to unix command or script inside tclsh

hi everobody kindly consider the following in tclsh I understand that we can do the following %exec UnixCmd arg1 arg2 but if I assinged the arguments to a list insde tclsh how can I use them back i.e %set ArgList %exec UnixCmd %exec Unixcmd $list %exec all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Blue_shadow
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using echo to print arguments inside a function

I am using echo in bash. Have created a function prargv which takes a number of arguments. Example: prargv "-e" "--examples" Inside prargv, I want to print all the arguments using echo echo "$@" This returns --examples rather than -e --examples" This problem can be fixed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to pass shell arguments into Nawk/awk

Hi, I am in critical need of help, Thanks a ton for your help. I need to know how to pass the shell argument into nawk code in AIX. so that my file gets passed into that awk script and it can execute it part. To be detail, i have more than 100 files and in those files a particular field... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selva_2507
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute variable inside nawk

Hi, I need to set "prd" in the below command to a unix variable nawk '/^#/ {next} FNR==NR {prd;next} !($0 in prd)' So, this is what i did fname=prd // unix shell variable nawk -v fname=$fname '/^#/ {next} FNR==NR {fname;next} !($0 in fname)'But the value of fname i.e "prd" is not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command?

Hi, I am using awk here. Inside an awk script, I have a variable which contains a very long XML data in string format (500kb). I want to pass this data (as argument) to curl command using system function. But getting Too many arguments error due to length of string data(payloadBlock). I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid error with ln command?

mkdir logs mkdir: Failed to make directory "logs"; File existsTo avoid this error i use the -p argument so it creates a folder only if it is does not exists like you see below. mkdir -p logs In the similar manner i wish to avoid this error with ln command ln -s /tmp/myfolder var ln: cannot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)