Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Setting write permission for particular user Post 303004569 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 4th of October 2017 01:03:48 PM
Old 10-04-2017
It's getting complicated because we don't know what other users you have.

The suggestion from hicksd8 to have a new group is a good one.

How does the file arrive? If it is created by amgr, then amgr would also need to be in the group. A simple chgrp newgroup DCI.dat should then suffice. The account amgr already has write permission so that should not be an issue. Name your new group something sensible so you know what it is for and don't abuse it.

An alternate may be to use Access Control Lists (ACLs) but they are OS dependant and may not be recovered if you restore a file. What OS and version are you using? If the suggestion above does not help, I@m sure we can work something out.

Kind regards,
Robin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

write permission to a perticular user to a directory

Hi, The requirement is like, the program needs 2 argument one is user_id and second one is directory path. My script will check if that user_id has write access to the directory path. The directory path may be in any file system like AFS or NFS. Can any one please suggest some points to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search any user files with write permission

Guys, i wanna get any user files with write permission (on user or group permission) for review but i confuse with -perm parameter. any body can help me to explain what is that mean? thank's (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michlix
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Is there a difference between setting a user as nologin and setting it as a role?

Trying to figure out the best method of security for oracle user accounts. In Solaris 10 they are set as regular users but have nologin set forcing the dev's to login as themselves and then su to the oracle users. In Solaris11 we have the option of making it a role because RBAC is enabled but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: os2mac
1 Replies

5. Web Development

Apache write permission issues to another user owned directory

Hi I am trying to make a web program which is command line equivalent. i have done the coding in cgi program in perl and html for basic forms to take inputs. when i ran the program from web application i see permission denied messages. after analyzing i found apache is running as wwwrun which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Allow user without dir write permission to execute a script that creates files

In our project we have several unix scripts that trigger different processes. These scripts write logs to a particular folder 'sesslogs', create output data files in a separate directory called 'datafiles' etc. Usually L1 support team re-run these scripts . We donot want L1 support team to have... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: waavman
14 Replies

7. AIX

Assign read write permission to the user for specific dir and it's sub dir and files in AIX

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. I do not want to assign user the same group of that directories too.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux sftp — how to add new user to access exist directory with write permission?

I have built a website and I can access and edit the website'files on server via the root user. The current file and directory structures are not changeable. Now I am hiring a webpage designer to help me re-design some pages, I am going to let the designer edit the files directly on the server. So... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: uwo-g-xw
5 Replies
sticky(5)                                               Standards, Environments, and Macros                                              sticky(5)

NAME
sticky - mark files for special treatment DESCRIPTION
The sticky bit (file mode bit 01000, see chmod(2)) is used to indicate special treatment of certain files and directories. A directory for which the sticky bit is set restricts deletion of files it contains. A file in a sticky directory can only be removed or renamed by a user who has write permission on the directory, and either owns the file, owns the directory, has write permission on the file, or is a privi- leged user. Setting the sticky bit is useful for directories such as /tmp, which must be publicly writable but should deny users permission to arbitrarily delete or rename the files of others. If the sticky bit is set on a regular file and no execute bits are set, the system's page cache will not be used to hold the file's data. This bit is normally set on swap files of diskless clients so that accesses to these files do not flush more valuable data from the sys- tem's cache. Moreover, by default such files are treated as swap files, whose inode modification times may not necessarily be correctly recorded on permanent storage. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod for details about modifying file modes. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chmod(2), chown(2), mkdir(2), rename(2), unlink(2) BUGS
The mkdir(2) function will not create a directory with the sticky bit set. SunOS 5.10 1 Aug 2002 sticky(5)