Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LVextend problem
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat LVextend problem Post 303003496 by rbatte1 on Thursday 14th of September 2017 12:20:15 PM
Old 09-14-2017
I always try to keep the rootvg to a minimum, after all, how do you plan to use mksysb to save a bootable OS media for an emergency recovery?

Just 8Gb should be plenty for AIX operating system with space to spare. Make the OS disk simple.

Keep all your user personal space, and application space in a separate volume group.

I know that there are costs with having more media, but it's well worth it. You need to ask yourself 'Is £1,000 GBP / $2,000 USD etc. worth losing my server for?' and do the job well. Of course, it will then be tempting to fill the rootvg with other stuff, just because there is space there, but you are immediately compromising yourself.

The other way to do this would be to have the disks mirrored by the hardware and provide logical disks to the operating system. That way, you get the best of both worlds, but you need to know you can tell when a disk has failed and has left you exposed.

Can you confirm:-
  • how your resized?
  • if the logical volume copies were synchronised or were any stale?
  • if you re-created the boot loader for the OS on the new disk(s)?
  • if you put the disk into the boot list?
  • what you can see from SMS / firmware prompt?

Hopefully we can help you here.

Kind regards,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH Problem auth problem

Hi, Just recently we seem to be getting the following error message relating to SSH when we run the UNIX script in background mode: warning: You have no controlling tty. Cannot read confirmation.^M warning: Authentication failed.^M Disconnected; key exchange or algorithm negotiation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: budrito
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with dd command or maybe AFS problem

Hi, folks. Sorry for bothering, but maybe someone could help me please. The problem is the following: there is some script that copies files from local file system to AFS. The copying is performed with dd command. The script copies data into some AFS volumes. The problem appeared with one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anta
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh script problem problem

Hi Please help me with the following problem with my script. The following block of code is not repeating in the while loop and exiting after searching for first message. input_file ========== host001-01 host001-02 2008-07-23 13:02:04,651 ConnectionFactory - Setting session state... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcjandyala
2 Replies

4. AIX

user login problem & Files listing problem.

1) when user login to the server the session got colosed. How will resolve? 2) While firing the command ls -l we are not able to see the any files in the director. but over all view the file system using the command df -g it is showing 91% used. what will be the problem? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

5. Solaris

lvextend in solaris 10

Hi all, I wish to extend my logical volumn, previously i am using the command lvextend in HPUX, but hows in solaris 10 ? Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
1 Replies

6. SuSE

lvextend on ext3 resizing

Hi all IM very curious about one thing Im currently playing with a test server SLES x64 SP2, and I got to a serious issue which is really sorry for the word pissing me off. :mad: I created an pv, then vg and finaly some lv's which is fine. I mounted then and everything worked fine... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

Problem with forwarding emails (SPF problem)

Hi, This is rather a question from a "user" than from a sys admin, but I think this forum is apropriate for the question. I have an adress with automatic email forwarding and for some senders (two hietherto), emails are bouncing. This has really created a lot of problems those two time so I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: carwe
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Lv not useable after lvextend - high I/O

Hello, on an Ubuntu 12.04 NAS there are some lvm's VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree vg01 1 2 0 wz--n- 930,45g 411,83g LV VG Attr LSize Origin Snap% Move Log Copy% Convert lv-iscsi vg01 -wi-a- 500,00g lv-root vg01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: darktux
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies

10. IP Networking

Router problem or ISP problem ?

Hi everyone, I am experiencing discontinuity of Internet service, this started 1 month ago. Everything worked very well for 1 year of intensive use, but now, I have problems reaching my gateway. The gateway is not my router but a node belonging to my ISP and I share the same public IP with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: remic
3 Replies
vxvmconvert(1M) 														   vxvmconvert(1M)

NAME
vxvmconvert - convert LVM volume groups to VxVM disk groups SYNOPSIS
vxvmconvert DESCRIPTION
vxvmconvert is a menu-driven program to convert an HP Logical Volume Manger (LVM) configuration to a Veritas Volume Manager configuration. This man page is a brief overview of vxvmconvert. Refer to the Veritas Volume Manager Migration Guide for a detailed description before using the conversion procedure. The vxvmconvert script is interactive and prompts you for responses, supplying defaults where appropriate. There is a Help facility at every prompt. Enter a question mark (?) at a prompt to display a context-sensitive help message. With vxvmconvert you can identify LVM volume groups, list disks, analyze volume groups for conversion and complete the conversion of LVM volume groups to VxVM disk groups. LVM configurations are converted at the volume group level. All disks used in a volume group are converted together. You cannot use vxvm- convert to convert unused LVM disks (those not part of an LVM volume group) to VxVM disks. To convert unused LVM disks, use pvremove to take the disk out of LVM control, then initialize the disk for VxVM use by using vxdiskadm (see pvremove(1M) and vxdiskadm(1M) for more information). vxvmconvert changes disks within LVM volume groups to VxVM disks by replacing the areas of the disks used for LVM configuration information and with the equivalent VxVM volume configuration information. Portions of the disks used for user data, such as file systems and data- bases, are not affected by the conversion. The conversion process changes the names by which your system refers to the logical storage, so must be done offline. No applications can access data in the volume groups undergoing conversion. You must unmount file systems using those volumes and shut down any applications, such as databases, that might use the volumes directly. OPERATIONS
Analyze LVM Volume Groups for Conversion Use this operation to analyze one or more LVM volume groups for conversion to use by VxVM. The analysis checks for problems that can prevent the conversion from completing successfully. It calculates the space required to add volume group disks to a Volume Manager disk group. More than one volume group may be entered at the prompt. A grep-like pattern may be used to select multiple volume groups. See the ``Limitations in Conversion'' section in the Volume Manager Migration Guide for more information. Convert LVM Volume Groups to VxVM Converts one or more LVM volume groups to one or more VxVM disk groups. This adds the disks to a VxVM disk group and replaces existing LVM volumes with VxVM volumes. vxvmconvert prompts you to name the VxVM disk group that replaces the LVM volume group being converted. A default is suggested at the prompt. For example, if you are converting a volume group vg08, vxvmconvert renames it as dg08. See to the sections ``Dealing with New Logical Volume Names'' and ``Tailoring your VxVM Configuration'' in the Volume Manager Migration Guide for more information. Rollback from VxVM to LVM Rollback reverts VxVM disk groups to LVM volume groups. vxvmconvert provides a limited snapshot capability for the LVM metadata in a converted volume group. A snapshot is a simple protection method to use during conversion. Caution! Do not use this operation if the VxVM disk group was modified since the conversion. See to the section ``Restoring LVM Volume Groups and Disaster Recovery'' in the Volume Manager Migration Guide for more informa- tion. List Disk Information Displays information about the disks on a system. You can obtain detailed information about a disk by entering a specific disk device address. List LVM Volume Group Information Listvg displays a list of LVM volume groups. You can obtain detailed information about an LVM volume group at a specific disk device address. SEE ALSO
pvremove(1M), vgcfgbackup(1M), vgrestore(1M), vxdisk(1M), vxdiskadd(1M), vxdiskadm(1M), vxintro(1M) Veritas Volume Manager Migration Guide VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxvmconvert(1M)