Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) OSX: ./Users/myname OR. /usr/myname ? 1) what is the truth on UNIX ./usr/ directory. Post 303003348 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 12th of September 2017 09:52:46 PM
Old 09-12-2017
Putting ordinary users on a system directory tree (disk or lun) is not a great idea.
Why?

Example: Users do dumb thing like inflate a bunch of compressed files, causing the disk to be full. Having a full system disk is not good at all. Filling the users disk is annoying but not a potential system problem. Put the user directories where they cannot cause problems.

Next - sysadmins have different ways of handling applications. They generally add new directories for the application and separate new directories for runtime (shared) libraries. This requires a change to the PATH variable and also to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable (or whatever OSX uses now). Again, keeping this stuff off the /usr tree is the best approach.

Example:
Oracle does this as part of installation, and creates special variables that you add to the system-wide .profile file. So any oracle system has a simple way of getting those variables set to a default during login. And these directories are not put on the /usr tree by default.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

losing /usr/bin directory

I need help figuring out why I lose /usr/bin directory sometimes it goes down 3-4 times a day and I have to link them back using ln - /usr/bin bin I cannot figure out why this is happenning (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: smatherly
23 Replies

2. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

#!/usr/bin/env : perl no such file or directory

hi i have some perl scripts with shebang line as (#! /usr/bin/env perl ) instead of actual absolute path of perl ( i know why its that way ) everything works fine from command line , the problem is when i am trying to run those scripts from web ( local web tool ) it throws error as /usr/bin/env :... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ps -u myname

I got these results. PID TTY TIME CMD 8535 pts/24 0:00 ksh 8528 ? 0:00 sshd 7949 pts/23 0:00 ksh 7878 ? 0:00 sshd I've got two sessions running - is that the ksh entries? I have one background job running that I submitted # 7435 - that'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ido1957
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solved: Missing whatis file from my /usr/shar/lib directory...

My whatis file is missing from my /usr/share/lib directory. I know I can recreate it by using catman -w command. My question is, why do all of my other servers have it and this one doesn't. Maybe due to a recent move of old to new servers and it just wasn't copied over. Unlikely, 'cause all... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
0 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to create or delete a directory in /usr with root user

Hi All, I am trying to uninstall jdk 1.5 from my Solaris 10 64 bit but some how was not successful.so tried to delete the folder of jdk from /usr but its throughing error as: Unable to remove directory jdk: Read-only file system Even I tried to create a dir in /usr but its not allowing me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pshah
4 Replies

8. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting error: /usr/bin/env: ruby: No such file or directory

Hi, I installed ruby using rvm with root user on Linux. Now i m trying the below command as a non root user with sudo privileges. sudo /usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-2.2.5/bin/gem install passenger I get the below error: I had even reset the path for both gem as well as ruby as you... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
profile(4)							   File Formats 							profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)