"Simple symmetrical wave RMS DEMO using awk."

Post #303003027 by Corona688 on Wednesday 6th of September 2017 06:22:27 PM

Your sample rate is way too low. It's just like trying to mathematically approximate the volume of a teapot by calculating the volume of a cube. Far too approximate to be useful!

When I plot your sine wave data, it looks awfully triangular. The crucial area going through the origin, accounting for the vast majority of the waveform, is a straight line from 38 to 217 -- and being symmetrical, can't be anything but a straight line. There's not enough points to represent anything else.

Mathematically speaking, triangle waves and square waves include higher frequencies than their base frequencies. Without a high enough sample rate to catch them, this information is thrown out like a brutal low pass filter. (Or worse, included as aliasing artifacts.)

Your waveforms should not be 8 points per wave. 16 at bare minimum, probably, but why not 1024? Then you'd see reliable differences, all the time.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-06-2017 at 07:42 PM..

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

about wave file integrating.

Now I have two wave file(*.wav) at Tru64 Unix machine. I want to make a new wave file including the two wave file. how I should finish this programmer. If you know, can you give me the format of the wave file(*.wav) and Sun au file(*.au). Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: livic
1 Replies

2. Programming

Porting Rogue Wave to Linux

I am challenged with porting an old application from Solaris to Red Hat. The application uses Rogue Wave and I am searching for a Red Hat implementation. Your help is appreciated! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FunkyWinkerbean
2 Replies
mlib_SignalSineWave_F32(3MLIB)				    mediaLib Library Functions				    mlib_SignalSineWave_F32(3MLIB)

NAME
mlib_SignalSineWave_F32 - sine wave generation SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lmlib [ library... ] #include <mlib.h> mlib_status mlib_SignalSineWave_F32(mlib_f32 *sine, void *state, mlib_s32 n); DESCRIPTION
The mlib_SignalSineWave_F32() function generates one packet of sine wave and updates the internal state. PARAMETERS
The function takes the following arguments: sine Generated sine wave array. state Internal state structure. n Length of the generated sine wave array in number of samples. RETURN VALUES
The function returns MLIB_SUCCESS if successful. Otherwise it returns MLIB_FAILURE. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Mar 2007 mlib_SignalSineWave_F32(3MLIB)

Featured Tech Videos