Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Network related issues
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Network related issues Post 303002968 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 6th of September 2017 05:33:29 AM
Old 09-06-2017
Some wild guesses:-
  • Loss of access to DNS server (slow reverse IP lookup for auditing, so slow login or application)
  • Database locks - hugely dependant on your application
  • Missing database index causing full table scans
  • Poor data queries, e.g. get all records from the database then check each in turn on criteria rather than building the condition into the query
  • Database logs files filling and flushing too slowly
  • Exhausting real memory causing paging (potentially DB consuming too much real memory)
  • Network speed conflict, e.g. if NIC is 10M-half and switch is 100M-full, it will work, but any file transfer will cripple it with lots of dropped packets.
  • IO issues, especially with NFS or an HA cluster if you fail over
  • Scheduled work, e.g. current stock summary
  • Ad-hoc jobs, e.g. current stock summary
  • Resources stealing by another LPAR if the definitions allow it
  • Large write volume to direct disk (e.g. local) rather than cached disk (RAID or SAN etc.)
  • High NFS contention especially with other seemingly unrelated servers

You can see it is a very very VERY wide spread of options so far - and the list is a long way from being exhaustive. You need to be a fair bit more explicit about what you have (including OS) what goes slow, what's happening at the time, what dependencies you have with other servers.

Robin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network printer issues

Hello, I have been having a problem with printing to a network printer on my LAN, I am able to ping all ports from the server and the printer. Print request just stay in the print que the only way to print is from the parallel line to the server. Any ideas on what can be going wrong?? Lp sched is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ostac
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 network, process, database related comands

Hi everbody, Can anyone let me know the resources for list of network, process, database related commands of solaris10 possibly with little bit of explanation. Thanks in advance, Chandra Sekhar. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandoo.java
1 Replies

3. Programming

Fork syscall and related issues

Hi all, i just started started learning system programming and want to pursue a career in the sys prog area. below is the program that use a fork() call. i read in one of the tutorials that parent process and child process uses different address spaces and runs concurrently. that meas each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check for network issues

Hi all, How do i check for network issues on a server (solaris & linux) - interms of connectivity, collision, congestion, whatever that's impacting the connection to/from the server? Please advise. Thanks. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greencored
4 Replies

5. AIX

Network related errors

Hi How to check if my AIX server has any network related errors ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Swap space related issues, how to recognise the newly attached disk

hi!:) i got a problem....:wall::wall: i got several disks in my diskarray. I attached new disk to allocate it to the swap space. The problem is : how to recognise the newly attached disk? I've one more requirement -:wall:- i want to run dns service on another port number.how can i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Network Connectivity Issues

Newbie with UNIX here. Currently troubleshooting a UNIX terminal we have. I determined it to be bad and swapped it out with a known good terminal. I went in and changed the IP address and host name to reflect the old terminal. Although now there is no connectivity. I swapped out the NIC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevinlord190
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Network related script

First of all,I would like to introduce about me, This is my own try and this is not my homework,and I study myself reading shell script pdf guide from net and learn shell scripts bit by bit.I am self study learner.I try to work out shell scripts.please help to resolve this type of problem.when I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
1 Replies
KAS_LIST(8)						       AFS Command Reference						       KAS_LIST(8)

NAME
kas_list - Displays all entries in the Authentication Database SYNOPSIS
kas list [-long] [-showadmin] [-showkey] [-admin_username <admin principal to use for authentication>] [-password_for_admin <admin password>] [-cell <cell name>] [-servers <explicit list of authentication servers>+] [-noauth] [-help] kas ls [-l] [-showa] [-showk] [-a <admin principal to use for authentication>] [-p <admin password>] [-c <cell name>] [-se <explicit list of authentication servers>+] [-n] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The kas list command either displays all entries from the Authentication Database by name, or displays the full database entry for a defined set of entries, as determined by the flag provided: o To display every entry in the Authentication Database in full, include the -long flag. o To display only those entries in full that have the "ADMIN" flag set, include the -showadmin flag. o To list only the name of each Authentication Database entry, omit both the -long and -showadmin flags. By default, full entries include a checksum for the encryption key, rather than the actual octal digits that constitute the key. To display the octal digits, include the -showkey flag with the -long or -showadmin flag. OPTIONS
-long Displays every Authentication Database entry in full. Provide this flag or the -showadmin flag, or omit both to display just the name of every database entry. -showadmin Displays in full only the Authentication Database entries that have the "ADMIN" flag set. Provide this flag or the -long flag, or omit both to display just the name of every database entry. -showkey Displays the octal digits that constitute the key in each full entry. Provide either the -long or -showadmin flag along with this one. -admin_username <admin principal> Specifies the user identity under which to authenticate with the Authentication Server for execution of the command. For more details, see kas(8). -password_for_admin <admin password> Specifies the password of the command's issuer. If it is omitted (as recommended), the kas command interpreter prompts for it and does not echo it visibly. For more details, see kas(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see kas(8). -servers <authentication servers>+ Names each machine running an Authentication Server with which to establish a connection. For more details, see kas(8). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. For more details, see kas(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
If neither the -long or -showadmin flag is provided, the output lists the name of each entry in the Authentication Database on its own line. If the -long flag is included, the output includes every Authentication Database entry in full. If the -showadmin flag is included, the output includes in full only the Authentication Database entries that have the "ADMIN" flag set. If the -showkey is provided along with either one, the output includes the octal digits that constitute the encryption key in each entry. A full Authentication Database entry includes the same information displayed by the kas examine command; for details, see that command's reference page. PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have the "ADMIN" flag set on his or her Authentication Database entry. SEE ALSO
kas(8), kas_examine(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 KAS_LIST(8)