Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Network related issues
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Network related issues Post 303002968 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 6th of September 2017 05:33:29 AM
Old 09-06-2017
Some wild guesses:-
  • Loss of access to DNS server (slow reverse IP lookup for auditing, so slow login or application)
  • Database locks - hugely dependant on your application
  • Missing database index causing full table scans
  • Poor data queries, e.g. get all records from the database then check each in turn on criteria rather than building the condition into the query
  • Database logs files filling and flushing too slowly
  • Exhausting real memory causing paging (potentially DB consuming too much real memory)
  • Network speed conflict, e.g. if NIC is 10M-half and switch is 100M-full, it will work, but any file transfer will cripple it with lots of dropped packets.
  • IO issues, especially with NFS or an HA cluster if you fail over
  • Scheduled work, e.g. current stock summary
  • Ad-hoc jobs, e.g. current stock summary
  • Resources stealing by another LPAR if the definitions allow it
  • Large write volume to direct disk (e.g. local) rather than cached disk (RAID or SAN etc.)
  • High NFS contention especially with other seemingly unrelated servers

You can see it is a very very VERY wide spread of options so far - and the list is a long way from being exhaustive. You need to be a fair bit more explicit about what you have (including OS) what goes slow, what's happening at the time, what dependencies you have with other servers.

Robin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network printer issues

Hello, I have been having a problem with printing to a network printer on my LAN, I am able to ping all ports from the server and the printer. Print request just stay in the print que the only way to print is from the parallel line to the server. Any ideas on what can be going wrong?? Lp sched is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ostac
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 network, process, database related comands

Hi everbody, Can anyone let me know the resources for list of network, process, database related commands of solaris10 possibly with little bit of explanation. Thanks in advance, Chandra Sekhar. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandoo.java
1 Replies

3. Programming

Fork syscall and related issues

Hi all, i just started started learning system programming and want to pursue a career in the sys prog area. below is the program that use a fork() call. i read in one of the tutorials that parent process and child process uses different address spaces and runs concurrently. that meas each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check for network issues

Hi all, How do i check for network issues on a server (solaris & linux) - interms of connectivity, collision, congestion, whatever that's impacting the connection to/from the server? Please advise. Thanks. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greencored
4 Replies

5. AIX

Network related errors

Hi How to check if my AIX server has any network related errors ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Swap space related issues, how to recognise the newly attached disk

hi!:) i got a problem....:wall::wall: i got several disks in my diskarray. I attached new disk to allocate it to the swap space. The problem is : how to recognise the newly attached disk? I've one more requirement -:wall:- i want to run dns service on another port number.how can i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Network Connectivity Issues

Newbie with UNIX here. Currently troubleshooting a UNIX terminal we have. I determined it to be bad and swapped it out with a known good terminal. I went in and changed the IP address and host name to reflect the old terminal. Although now there is no connectivity. I swapped out the NIC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevinlord190
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Network related script

First of all,I would like to introduce about me, This is my own try and this is not my homework,and I study myself reading shell script pdf guide from net and learn shell scripts bit by bit.I am self study learner.I try to work out shell scripts.please help to resolve this type of problem.when I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
1 Replies
close(2)							System Calls Manual							  close(2)

NAME
close - close a file descriptor SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
closes the file descriptor indicated by fildes. fildes is a file descriptor obtained from a or system call. All associated file segments which have been locked by this process with the function are released (i.e., unlocked). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns a value of 0; otherwise, it returns -1 and sets to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails if the any of following conditions are encountered: [EBADF] fildes is not a valid open file descriptor. [EINTR] An attempt to close a slow device or connection or file with pending aio requests was interrupted by a signal. The file descriptor still points to an open device or connection or file. [ENOSPC] Not enough space on the file system. This error can occur when closing a file on an NFS file system. [When a system call is executed on a local file system and if a new buffer needs to be allocated to hold the data, the buffer is mapped onto the disk at that time. A full disk is detected at this time and returns an error. When the system call is executed on an NFS file system, the new buffer is allocated without communicating with the NFS server to see if there is space for the buffer (to improve NFS performance). It is only when the buffer is written to the server (at file close or the buffer is full) that the disk-full condition is detected.] SEE ALSO
creat(2), dup(2), exec(2), fcntl(2), lockf(2), open(2), pipe(2), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
close(2)