Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Network related issues
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Network related issues Post 303002940 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 5th of September 2017 11:41:21 AM
Old 09-05-2017
What OS? Your other post mentions AIX. Getting data from the past is really difficult unless you had already set up monitoring or auditing.

If you have detailed logs from applications, sometimes you can infer that application A has been taking longer and longer times to complete.

Many kinds of problems are sporadic or are hard to reproduce. These can only be found by creating monitors before the fact.

Please give us more system details: specific OS, main application(s) for the system.
Example: AIX 7.3, sybase server on SAN.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network printer issues

Hello, I have been having a problem with printing to a network printer on my LAN, I am able to ping all ports from the server and the printer. Print request just stay in the print que the only way to print is from the parallel line to the server. Any ideas on what can be going wrong?? Lp sched is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ostac
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 network, process, database related comands

Hi everbody, Can anyone let me know the resources for list of network, process, database related commands of solaris10 possibly with little bit of explanation. Thanks in advance, Chandra Sekhar. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandoo.java
1 Replies

3. Programming

Fork syscall and related issues

Hi all, i just started started learning system programming and want to pursue a career in the sys prog area. below is the program that use a fork() call. i read in one of the tutorials that parent process and child process uses different address spaces and runs concurrently. that meas each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check for network issues

Hi all, How do i check for network issues on a server (solaris & linux) - interms of connectivity, collision, congestion, whatever that's impacting the connection to/from the server? Please advise. Thanks. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greencored
4 Replies

5. AIX

Network related errors

Hi How to check if my AIX server has any network related errors ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Swap space related issues, how to recognise the newly attached disk

hi!:) i got a problem....:wall::wall: i got several disks in my diskarray. I attached new disk to allocate it to the swap space. The problem is : how to recognise the newly attached disk? I've one more requirement -:wall:- i want to run dns service on another port number.how can i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Network Connectivity Issues

Newbie with UNIX here. Currently troubleshooting a UNIX terminal we have. I determined it to be bad and swapped it out with a known good terminal. I went in and changed the IP address and host name to reflect the old terminal. Although now there is no connectivity. I swapped out the NIC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevinlord190
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Network related script

First of all,I would like to introduce about me, This is my own try and this is not my homework,and I study myself reading shell script pdf guide from net and learn shell scripts bit by bit.I am self study learner.I try to work out shell scripts.please help to resolve this type of problem.when I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
1 Replies
yppush(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 yppush(8)

NAME
yppush - force propagation of a changed Network Information Service (NIS) map SYNOPSIS
yppush [-d domain] [-v] mapname OPTIONS
Specify a domain. Verbose. This causes messages to be printed when each server is called, and for each response. Without this option, only error messages are printed. DESCRIPTION
The yppush command copies a new version of a Network Information Service (NIS) map from the master NIS server to the slave NIS servers. It is normally run only on the master NIS server by the make utility accessing the /var/yp/Makefile after the master NIS databases have been changed. When invoked, yppush first constructs a list of NIS server hosts by reading the NIS map ypservers within the domain. Keys within the map ypservers are the ASCII names of the machines on which the NIS servers run. A transfer map request is sent to the NIS server at each host, along with the information needed by the transfer agent (the program which actually moves the map) to call back the yppush command. When the attempt has completed (successfully or not), and the transfer agent has sent yppush a status message, the results can be printed to stdout. Messages are also printed when a transfer is not possible, for instance when the request message is undeliverable, or when the timeout period on responses has expired. Refer to ypfiles(4) and ypserv(8) for an overview of NIS. RESTRICTIONS
In the current implementation (version 2 NIS protocol), the transfer agent is ypxfr, which is started by the ypserv program. If yppush detects that it is speaking to a version 1 NIS protocol server, it uses the older protocol, sending a version 1 YPPROC_GET request and issues a message to that effect. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing if or when the map transfer was performed for version 1 servers. The yppush command prints a message saying that an old-style message has been sent. The system administrator should later check to see that the transfer has actually taken place. ERRORS
Map xxx no such map in server's domain -- using ypservers Explanation: This is an informational message that indicates that the yppush command will push the maps to all servers listed in the ypservers map. FILES
SEE ALSO
Commands: ypserv(8), ypxfr(8) Files: ypfiles(4) yppush(8)