Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Where do I start as someone who desire to become skilled in UNIX and C? Post 303002821 by hicksd8 on Saturday 2nd of September 2017 10:35:16 AM
Old 09-02-2017
Well you could read books and take courses but, for me, there is no substitute for getting your own box (x86 hardware) and loading up different Operating Systems (a variety of Linux distributions and real production O/S's like Solaris, AIX, etc) and downloading their administration manuals. You can download all this stuff for free! Try things out for yourself. Admin tasks like setting up new users, security, etc. Backup and restore. Write a few of your own scripts.

Then, when you get stuck on something, get on here and ask us all the question (giving us the full description/context of the problem of course).
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to start using unix

this is probably the dumbest question but it must be asked: how can i go about getting into unix? what would be a good first unix system? where can i get it? how much will it cost me? what can i do with unix? i currently use a mac at home and a win2000 pro system at work, what is better... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aeser
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

YO help me out with unix were do I start...

My friend told me all about this Unix program I want to know were to start out and what to do with this unix program. Really anxious to learn anything about unix.cya hope you guys read this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shinobikil
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't get DF output I desire

I currently have a shell script that creates Oracle databases configured the way we want them here. One part of it allows you to choose which file system to place the database files. This is the command which works. This produces a list of file systems from which to choose. I have been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sewood
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desire structure for input file

Hello Unix gurus, I have a txt file with single columns with n no of rows.like below COLUMN1 ======= AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH . . . NNN. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users who desire to have their .profile executed must explicitly do so in the crontab entry. Why?

The .profile file should be read when the user logs in. So, there should be no need to execute .profile file again in a cron job (since the cron job is run after the user logs in). Doesn't the cron require login from the user. Then, from where does the cron execute? Please help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

where to start in unix

i am new to unix.i just started learning unix on my own,could u please tell me where i can get the basic of unix. . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit243
4 Replies

7. Hardware

HTC Desire S vs HTC Desire C - USB Android tethering problem

Hi gurus, I have problem with android usb tethering (usb0 interface). I tried two phones HTC Desire C and HTC Desire S. With Desire C everything works as expected, usb0 automatically goes up and gains IP address and tethering is working (output bellow) HTC Desire C: Nov 6 23:32:36 HP-PC... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get desire line?

Hi Guys, I am newbie here and greeting to all guys of unix forum, now I want to learn unix here. I have query here, we have file where file has 20 line record, now i want display 10 to 15 line row record only, then how it possible. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaditya321
5 Replies
disown(1)							   User Commands							 disown(1)

NAME
disown - ksh93 built-in function to disassociate a job with the current shell SYNOPSIS
disown [job ...] DESCRIPTION
The ksh93 disown command prevents the current shell from sending a HUP signal to each of the specified jobs when the current shell termi- nates a login session. If job is omitted, disown sends the HUP signal to the most recently started or stopped background job. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: job Specifies the job or jobs on which disown operates. Specify job as one of the following: number Refers to a process ID. -number Refers to a process group ID. %number Refers to a job number. %string Refers to a job whose name begins with string. %?string Refers to a job whose name contains string. %+ or %% Refers to the current job. %- Refers to the previous job. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 One or more specified jobs does not exist. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Disowning a Job The following example disowns job 1: example% disown %1 AUTHORS
David Korn, dgk@research.att.com ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
bg(1), jobs(1), ksh93(1), wait(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 18 Apr 2007 disown(1)