Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic grep question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Basic grep question Post 303002515 by MadeInGermany on Saturday 26th of August 2017 05:31:39 AM
Old 08-26-2017
In awk the == operator compares two numbers or strings, in this case strings.
If they are equal the result is "true", a non-zero. The default action for a non-zero is {print}.
You can write this more explicit
Code:
awk '$1=="pc" { print }'

or
Code:
awk '{ if ($1=="pc") { print } }'

or even
Code:
awk '{ if ($1=="pc") { print $0 } }'

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

I have some basic doubts. Can someone clarify in this forum? 1)if then eval ' tset -s -Q -m ':?hp' ' else eval ' tset -s -Q ' what does it exactly mean in .profile? 2) what are 'nobody' and 'noaccess' usernames in /etc/passwd file. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

hey...when i type who...what does "pts" field mean??? eg pts 0 etc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urwannabefriend
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very Basic Question

How to know if my AIX 5.2 is running at 64bits? THANKS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanSkull
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Really basic question....

Hello all. Let me start off by saying I know a little more then it seems by me asking this question... here goes I have an old 486 box and I want to start messing around with unix. I've been taking classes for 3 or 4 years in c programming in unix, so I am used to the commands and such, but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robherms
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Basic OS question

Could someone tell me the command to find out the OS version which will give 12 character not the 9 characters(which is usually machine id). uname -i gives machine id and uname -a is more comprehensive way to look. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic question

hi, I have a basic question,, i am in a directory called /intas/OCU_3.9.1/sbin ocuut1@france>mv itsa_tcs itsa_tcs_old mv: itsa_tcs_old: rename: Permission denied i am logging as the owner of the file. when i am doing this i am getting the above error of permission denied. I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic nc question

i'm doing this in one terminal: nc -lu 7402 and it appears to start listening properly, then in another i do this: echo "hello" | nc -u localhost 7402 and nothing happens on the listening terminal - what am i doing wrong? thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterworth
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic grep question

I think I am doing this correctly, but it is responding very quickly with no results so I am not sure. I need to do a case insensitive grep of all files in my current directory grep -i <keyword> /my/directory is that correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guessingo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Grep

I am trying to grep a section of .txt file...but once I grep the certain area of the file I would like to display all lines below it as well....how do I have to go about doing this... example grep "Sidney Crosby" hockey.txt result Sidney Crosby Age Goals Assist Can this be done... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisp200
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic grep -c Question

Hello, I have a csv list which contains a reference and tariff code for every customer we have (~7.2 million) looking something like this: customernumber,tariff 012345678910,T0001 012345678911,T0002 012345678912,T0001-A0001 I have a 2nd list which contains every unique tariff and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
8 Replies
WILDMAT(3)						     Library Functions Manual							WILDMAT(3)

NAME
wildmat - perform shell-style wildcard matching SYNOPSIS
int wildmat(text, pattern) char *text; char *pattern; DESCRIPTION
Wildmat is part of libinn (3). Wildmat compares the text against the pattern and returns non-zero if the pattern matches the text. The pattern is interpreted according to rules similar to shell filename wildcards, and not as a full regular expression such as those handled by the grep(1) family of programs or the regex(3) or regexp(3) set of routines. The pattern is interpreted as follows: x Turns off the special meaning of x and matches it directly; this is used mostly before a question mark or asterisk, and is not spe- cial inside square brackets. ? Matches any single character. * Matches any sequence of zero or more characters. [x...y] Matches any single character specified by the set x...y. A minus sign may be used to indicate a range of characters. That is, [0-5abc] is a shorthand for [012345abc]. More than one range may appear inside a character set; [0-9a-zA-Z._] matches almost all of the legal characters for a host name. The close bracket, ], may be used if it is the first character in the set. The minus sign, -, may be used if it is either the first or last character in the set. [^x...y] This matches any character not in the set x...y, which is interpreted as described above. For example, [^]-] matches any character other than a close bracket or minus sign. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> in 1986, and posted to Usenet several times since then, most notably in comp.sources.misc in March, 1991. Lars Mathiesen <thorinn@diku.dk> enhanced the multi-asterisk failure mode in early 1991. Rich and Lars increased the efficiency of star patterns and reposted it to comp.sources.misc in April, 1991. Robert Elz <kre@munnari.oz.au> added minus sign and close bracket handling in June, 1991. This is revision 1.10, dated 1992/04/03. SEE ALSO
grep(1), regex(3), regexp(3). WILDMAT(3)