Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic grep question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Basic grep question Post 303002508 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 26th of August 2017 02:19:08 AM
Old 08-26-2017
Normally you would use:
Code:
grep '^pc'

I do not know if the leading spaces are present in the actual file. In that case you would need something like:
Code:
grep '^[[:blank:]]*pc'

--
Note: on Solaris use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

I have some basic doubts. Can someone clarify in this forum? 1)if then eval ' tset -s -Q -m ':?hp' ' else eval ' tset -s -Q ' what does it exactly mean in .profile? 2) what are 'nobody' and 'noaccess' usernames in /etc/passwd file. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

hey...when i type who...what does "pts" field mean??? eg pts 0 etc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urwannabefriend
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very Basic Question

How to know if my AIX 5.2 is running at 64bits? THANKS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanSkull
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Really basic question....

Hello all. Let me start off by saying I know a little more then it seems by me asking this question... here goes I have an old 486 box and I want to start messing around with unix. I've been taking classes for 3 or 4 years in c programming in unix, so I am used to the commands and such, but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robherms
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Basic OS question

Could someone tell me the command to find out the OS version which will give 12 character not the 9 characters(which is usually machine id). uname -i gives machine id and uname -a is more comprehensive way to look. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic question

hi, I have a basic question,, i am in a directory called /intas/OCU_3.9.1/sbin ocuut1@france>mv itsa_tcs itsa_tcs_old mv: itsa_tcs_old: rename: Permission denied i am logging as the owner of the file. when i am doing this i am getting the above error of permission denied. I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic nc question

i'm doing this in one terminal: nc -lu 7402 and it appears to start listening properly, then in another i do this: echo "hello" | nc -u localhost 7402 and nothing happens on the listening terminal - what am i doing wrong? thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterworth
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic grep question

I think I am doing this correctly, but it is responding very quickly with no results so I am not sure. I need to do a case insensitive grep of all files in my current directory grep -i <keyword> /my/directory is that correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guessingo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Grep

I am trying to grep a section of .txt file...but once I grep the certain area of the file I would like to display all lines below it as well....how do I have to go about doing this... example grep "Sidney Crosby" hockey.txt result Sidney Crosby Age Goals Assist Can this be done... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisp200
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic grep -c Question

Hello, I have a csv list which contains a reference and tariff code for every customer we have (~7.2 million) looking something like this: customernumber,tariff 012345678910,T0001 012345678911,T0002 012345678912,T0001-A0001 I have a 2nd list which contains every unique tariff and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
8 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)