Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Swap two characters in a string Post 303002114 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 17th of August 2017 04:09:52 PM
Old 08-17-2017
In sed you can use the y command
Code:
str='abc-def_hij-klm_nop-qrs_tuv-wxy_z'
newstr=`printf "%s\n" "$str" | sed 'y/_-/-_/'`
printf "%s\n" "$str" "$newstr"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string after another string with special characters

Hello everyone, I'm writing a script to add a string to an XML file, right after a specified string that only occurs once in the file. For testing purposes I created a file 'testfile' that looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 6 7 8 9 And this is the script as far as I've managed: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heliode
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

split a string into 3 characters

Hi, I have a requirement like this. String=abcdefghijkl I need to split this string into a substrign each 3 characters and write output into a file. Output: abc def ghi jkl Can any one please help me how can i acheive this Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of characters in a string

Hi there, I have some user input in a variable called $VAR, and i need to ensure that the string is 5 or less characters .... does anybody know how i can count the characters in the variables ? any help would be great, cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get certain characters in a string

Hi Everyone, I have a.txt 12341" <sip:191@vo.my>;asdf=q" 116aaaa<sip:00091@vo.my>;penguin would like to get the output 191 00091 Please advice. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

6. Programming

Swap different size string

how can I write a function to swap to different sized string? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove characters from string based on occurrence of a string

Hello Folks.. I need your help .. here the example of my problem..i know its easy..i don't all the commands in unix to do this especiallly sed...here my string.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj_vw_dec2_dfgh_dwq desired output is.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj it's a simple task with tail... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
5 Replies

8. Linux

string characters in UNIX

I need some help. when i use the following command, it deletes all lines containing WINNT& v2010 and WINNT& v2010.2 I just want it to delete lines containing WINNT & v2010 only. perl -n -i.bak -e 'print unless /WINNT/&&/v2010/' *.* Danish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdanish110
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut a string for last 8 characters

Hello All I have a file like this abc.tpt.ctl bdc.tpt.ctl cdw.tpt.ctl I have looped every line using the for Loop, now I want to take each line and cut the .tpt.ctl part of it and store it in a variable and use the variable in same loop. The part I am stuck at is how do I cut the last... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
CURSES_UNDERSCORE(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				      CURSES_UNDERSCORE(3)

NAME
curses_underscore, underscore, underend, wunderscore, wunderend -- curses underscore attribute manipulation routines LIBRARY
Curses Library (libcurses, -lcurses) SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int underscore(void); int underend(void); int wunderscore(void); int wunderend(void); DESCRIPTION
These functions manipulate the underscore attribute on stdscr or on the specified window. The underscore() function turns on the underscore attribute on stdscr. The underend() function turns off the underscore attribute on stdscr. The wunderscore() and wunderend() functions are equivalent to underscore() and underend(), respectively, excepting that the attribute is manipulated on the window specified by win. The underscore() and underend() functions are equivalent to wattron(A_UNDERLINE) and wattroff(A_UNDERLINE), respectively. RETURN VALUES
These functions always return 1. SEE ALSO
curses_attributes(3), curses_standout(3) STANDARDS
The NetBSD Curses library complies with the X/Open Curses specification, part of the Single Unix Specification. HISTORY
These functions first appeared in NetBSD 1.5. BSD
October 13, 2002 BSD