Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Error when executing script
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Error when executing script Post 303001677 by bakunin on Wednesday 9th of August 2017 09:38:34 AM
Old 08-09-2017
So far you did fairly well. A few comments to your code:

Code:
new=1
for f in `find . -name '*.filtered' | sort -r`; do
       eximstats -nr "$f" > eximstats_day"$new"_"$eximBC07".txt;
       eximstats -xls -nr  "$f" > eximstats_day"$new"_"$eximBC07".xls;
       ((new++));
done

First, you should not use backticks for command substitution any more. If you are not using an original Bourne shell (which would only know the backticks and nothing else) you should use the POSIX-construct you had at the beginning of the thread:

Code:
for f in $(find . -name '*.filtered' | sort -r) ; do

Second, you need only one quote for a whole string. i.e. replace this:
Code:
eximstats -nr "$f" > eximstats_day"$new"_"$eximBC07".txt

with this:
Code:
eximstats -nr "$f" > "eximstats_day${new}_${eximBC07}.txt"

Third, you need no ";" at the end of a line. You only need them if you have more than one command on the same line:
Code:
command1 ; command2

but:
Code:
command1
command2

and a last point: when you use integer environments you should have spaces surrounding them. It is not only easier to read but some shells are quite picky about this:

Code:
((i=i+1))            # might work, but this
(( i=i+1 ))          # is safer and this:
(( i = i + 1 ))      # might even be easier to read

Finally, a suggestion: when you write scripts you should try to avoid relative pathes. If you use "." or ".." in a script it tends to work if called in one directory but fail if called in another. Better to avoid this sort of risk and only use absolute pathes.

So, here is like i would write it:

Code:
new=1
for f in $(find /some/directory -name '*.filtered' | sort -r) ; do
       outfile="/some/directory/eximstats_day${new}_${eximBC07}"
       eximstats       -nr "$f" > "${outfile}.txt"
       eximstats -xls -nr "$f" > "${outfile}.xls"
       (( new++ ))
done

Quote:
However, I have another part of the script that has this line :

Code:
eximstats -merge eximstats_day*.txt > "eximstats.consolidated_$MONTH$YEAR.txt"

I did not put the "" for the $MONTH$YEAR, but it still produced the output I wanted. Why is this?
A string is a string. Hence, this:

Code:
string="abc"def

and this:

Code:
string="abcdef"

produces the same. It would not produce the same only if in the part not covered by quotes would contain something the shell interprets: blanks, tabs, newlines, and so on. Therefore you can (and in fact should, as i said above) cover always your whole string into a single pair of double quotes:

Code:
var="with spaces in it"
echo "this is a string ${var} - and here it continues"

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

error while executing the script

Hello I am executing the following script nawk 'NR == 1 || substr($0,63,5) ~ /H... / && \ _++ == 2 { fn && close(fn); fn = "part_" ++c; _ = 1 } { print > fn }' sample.dat When i execute as it is it is executing fine. but when i execute the whole script as a single line like below ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while executing a script

My script is as below : #!/bin/sh for line in `cat Results.txt` do FEILD1=`echo $line |awk -F"|" '{print $1}'` FEILD2=`echo $line |awk -F"|" '{print $2}'` FEILD3=`echo $line |awk -F"|" '{print $3}'` FEILD4=`echo $line |awk -F"|" '{print $4}'` echo "$FEILD1 $FIELD2 $FIELD3 $FIELD4" done ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: shwetainnani
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while executing the below script

I am executing the below in telnet #!/usr/bin/ksh File1=simple.txt # The file to check LogFile=simple.log # The log file DelayMax=30 # Timeout delay Tolerance=2 # BEGIN ############################## while true do StampNow=$(date +%s)/60 # stamp in minutes ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinniforu2003
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Executing the script.

Hi , I m getting an error after executing the script. My script. Script is used to find out the date on 8 different machines(mentioned in SERVERNAMES file). I have added public key to avoid ssh password and ssh without password working fine. #!/bin/sh fn_VMFind() { Date=`ssh -t... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while executing a script

Hi Please assist. Im getting an error while execuing the script name d "cdsnd.basel.cd_new " as siiadm user. Thanks. siiadm> ls -l total 64 -rwxr-xr-x 1 siiadm sboadm 1004 Sep 17 2008 cdsnd.basel.cd -rwxr-xr-x 1 siiadm sapsys 998 Nov 16 09:14 cdsnd.basel.cd_new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting the error 'not found' while executing the script

Hi, I am not able to figure out what the problem is: getting the following error sqltst.sh: 1: not found here is the script #!/bin/sh . /home/dev1/.profile . /home/dev1/.infenv `sqlplus -s $REPDB_LOGON << EOF SET SERVEROUT ON SET FEEDBACK OFF SET HEADING OFF SET TRIMSPOOL... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error executing script

Please delete de thread. Thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rodrih92
10 Replies

8. Linux

Libssh2 error while executing script

hi all, i am getting libssh2 error while executing script in RHEL 6, when i locate that file its not there below is the ouput of this # locate libssh2_agent_init # cat /etc/issue Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.1 (Santiago) Kernel \r on an \m how do i resolve this issue, i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error executing the script

I have the following script test.sh owned by dwdev account and group dwdev, the permissions on the script are as follows. -rw-r-x--- 1 dwdev dwdev 279 Sep 17 13:19 test.sh Groups: cat /etc/group | grep dwdev dwdev:x:704:dwdev dwgroup:x:725:dwdev writers:x:726:dwdev User: cat /etc/passwd |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gettting error while executing script

getting error as below while executing script in linux. OS version: Linux VGP-3GPSDB-LX 3.10.0-514.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 19 11:24:13 EDT 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ./imxtract.sh: line 395: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``' ./imxtract.sh: line 402: syntax error:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Riverstone
1 Replies