Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with awk regular expression for RS record separator Post 303001637 by 1Brajesh on Tuesday 8th of August 2017 10:00:59 AM
Old 08-08-2017
Hi Don,

Thank you for your detailed reply and examples of RS expressions.
You are correct, I would need to consider all the other abbreviations as well.

I'm using these sentences for training a neural net.

The training corpus would be classic books like Pride and Prejudice from project Gutenberg for example : Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - Free Ebook

Looking at this example above:

-Not all sentences end on a newline.
-There aren't two spaces after the end of a sentence
-The reason I'm considering : and ; because even though they are not complete sentences, they are in "general" complete "thoughts" and as such I can approximate them as complete sentences and reduce the complexity of the neural net.

I think the simplest solution for me seems to be to do massage the input file and do a search and replace all of the exceptions as itkamaraj suggested.

If by looking at this text example you might have another suggestion please let me know.

thank you all !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and regular expression

Ive got a file with words and also numbers. Bla BLA 10 10 11 29 12 89 13 35 And i need to change "10,29,89,25" and also remove anything that contains actually words... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maskot
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expression and awk

I can print a line with an expression using this: awk '/regex/' I can print the line immediately before an expression using this: awk '/regex/{print x};{x=$0}' How do I print the line immediately before and then the line with the expression? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & cut record separator problem

Hi All, I've got some strange behaviour going on when trying to manipulate a file that contains spaces. My input file looks something like this: xxxxxxxxx,yyyy,sss sss sss,bbbbbbb If I use awk: When running from the command line I get: sss sss sss But when running from a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression in AWK

Hello world, I was wondering if there is a nicer way to write the following code (in AWK): awk ' FNR==NR&&$1~/^m$/{tok1=1} FNR==NR&&$1~/^m10$/{tok1=1} ' my_file In fact, it looks for m2, m4, m6, m8 and m10 and then return a positive flag. The problem is how to define 10 thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - double quotes as record separator

How do I use double quotes as a record seperator in awk? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, string as record separator, transposing rows into columns

I'm working on a different stage of a project that someone helped me address elsewhere in these threads. The .docs I'm cycling through look roughly like this: 1 of 26 DOCUMENTS Copyright 2010 The Age Company Limited All Rights Reserved The Age (Melbourne, Australia) November 27, 2010... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spindoctor
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

apply record separator to multiple files within a directory using awk

Hi, I have a bunch of records within a directory where each one has this form: (example file1) 1 2 50 90 80 90 43512 98 0909 79869 -9 7878 33222 8787 9090 89898 7878 8989 7878 6767 89 89 78676 9898 000 7878 5656 5454 5454 and i want for all of these files to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - single quotes as record separator

How do I use single quotes as record separator in awk? I just couldn't figure that out. I know how to use single quotes as field separator, and double quotes as both field and record separator ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

9. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use string as Record separator in awk

Hello to all, Please some help on this. I have the file in format as below. How can I set the record separator as the string below in red "No. Time Source Destination Protocol Length Info" I've tried code below but it doesn't seem to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
6 Replies
dadadodo(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  dadadodo(1)

NAME
dadadodo - exterminate all rational thought SYNOPSIS
dadadodo [ options ] [ input-files ] DESCRIPTION
dadadodo is a program that analyses texts for Markov chains of word probabilities and then generates random sentences based on those proba- bilities. Sometimes these sentences are nonsense, but sometimes they cut right through to the heart of the matter and reveal hidden mean- ings. OPTIONS
dadadodo accepts the following options: -c, -count n Generate n sentences. -h, -help Show summary of options and exit. -html Output HTML instead of plain text. -l, -load file Load compiled data from file ('-' for standard input). -o, -output file Save compiled data in file ('-' for standard output). -p, -pause s Delay s seconds between paragraphs. -w, -columns columns Format output for a device columns character cells in width. If not specified, the value of the environment variable COLUMNS is used to determine the width. If that variable is not defined, a width of 72 is assumed. NOTES
Non-option arguments are input files. These should be text files, but may be mail folders or HTML. MIME messages are handled sensibly. When no output file is specified, sentences will be generated from the input data directly. However, loading a saved file is far faster than re-parsing the text files each time. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS Determines the width (in character cells) of the output if the -w, -columns option is not used. If not set, a width of 72 is assumed. SEE ALSO
dadadodo's upstream website is http://www.jwz.org/dadadodo/. AUTHOR
dadadodo was written by Jamie Zawinski. This manual page was written by Sudhakar Chandrasekharan <thaths@netscape.com>, based on the program's usage message. dadadodo(1)