Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script for User Management (Create, Delete, Disable...etc) Post 303001122 by bakunin on Thursday 27th of July 2017 04:24:11 AM
Old 07-27-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenkatPVS
Please post if any having a working script?
Sorry, but this is not how it works: you will write your script! And while we will assist you, explain things to you, correct your code if necessary and help you in any possible way - we will not write it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenkatPVS
Am very new to shell scripting and would need help on a script that needs to be executed on a central server which takes IP, Flavor (AIX, Solaris, RHEL) as inputs and create a new account/user, update the existing users settings, delete or disable the users/accounts in those servers (AIX, Solaris, RHEL).
OK, two things: first a question. There are generalised user-directory services which could be used for that: LDAP, NIS, DCE, ... Why don't you use one of these? All the mentioned UNIX/Linux flavours could be brought to cooperate with these services and you would not even have to create or maintain local users.

Second, reagrding the script itself: it is possible to do this and in fact i have done so. Notice that - to do it right - this is an effort worth several thousand lines of code. Not even an expert in scripting will be able to do it in some spare minutes to kill. This is a regular software engineering project and you should treat it that way from the start. This means before you can write even one line of code you need a thorough plan, you need to have thought things through and you need to have a detailed and concise idea of what you are going to do - "manage users on many systems" is like "i want to design a car". As long as you do not know how motors, gearboxes, brakes, etc. work this will not succeed.

OK, let us start by planning some basics. Every user is identified by a user name and a (unique) ID. Usually you find both informations in a file called /etc/passwd. You might want to start by not creating a user account but a script (function) that just checks if a user exists already.

Now think about what could come out for such a check. Here are some sample conditions, you might find more:

- the file /etc/password doesn't exist or isn't readable
- the user name exists in an account, but with another UID
- the user ID exists in an account, but with another name
- both user name and ID exist, but in different users
- the user name exists and has the correct ID (-> this is the "success" case)

All these (and probably more, be creative) conditions will have to be checked and reported (to an eventual calling program) by the check-function/-script.

You should have an idea now of what it takes to do what you want and start the design process.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disable power management to a PCI card

I have a US Robotics USR5416 wireless networking card and everytime after hours of inactivity the cardseems to shutdown. I read somewhere the it does not support power management. Is there a way to disable power management to that particular PCI card? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: diesel440
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a script that executes when a user attempts to delete history logs

Hi, I have a linux redhat 9 server and I am concerned about the security on that server. I would like to be able to write a script that records all the commands that were typed at the command prompt before the user calls the 'history -c' command and deletes all the history. I was thinking about... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mishkamima
4 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to create or delete a directory in /usr with root user

Hi All, I am trying to uninstall jdk 1.5 from my Solaris 10 64 bit but some how was not successful.so tried to delete the folder of jdk from /usr but its throughing error as: Unable to remove directory jdk: Read-only file system Even I tried to create a dir in /usr but its not allowing me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pshah
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user if UID not exist; else, exit the script

Hi, I want to write a script to check whether an user ID is used in my server and then create that user. If the user ID is not used, I will echo something like "OK, continue" and then continue to execute the script. Else, I will echo something like "Used, exit" and then exit the script. As... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to create a script to delete the files

Hi All, I want to delete all core* files in below file system in Unix server. File system: /usr/sap/P01/JC00/j2ee/cluster/server0 I want to setup a cron job every ten minutes to delete the core *files Thanks N Rao This thread duplicates another thread with the same title: Need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: YNRao24
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Need help to create a script to delete the files

Hi All, I want to delete all core* files in below file system in Unix server. File system: /usr/sap/P01/JC00/j2ee/cluster/server0 I want to setup a cron job every ten minutes to delete the core *files Thanks N Rao (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YNRao24
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a file even root user also cant delete?

Is there any way to create a file in linux that root user also can't delete? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: palani13dec
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user builder script

Hello this script should get username and password from user and then create. how can i send an arguman to passwd command ? echo "Enter username" read username useradd $username -s /bin/false echo "enter password for $username" read password passwd $username (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Disable create subdirectory Solaris 8 ftp

Running Solaris 10. For FTP users or groups, I want to prevent them from creating new subdirectories, but I still want to allow them to create, upload, download files from the subdirs. I understand how to set the general file/directory permissions -- read, write, execute. So for a directory,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: themonman
0 Replies