Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ksh to read input until QUI
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh to read input until QUI Post 303000777 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 19th of July 2017 01:39:57 PM
Old 07-19-2017
What have you tried so far? And - this seems to be homework. We have a forum with a special template.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reading an input file in KSH

First I' d like to say you guys are awesome. :) I have a word document that I cut and paste into Textpad and it removed all the fancy formatting which is fine with me. I WinScp'd it to the box and and called it inputfile.txt. Opened it in vi and don't see any special characters or stuff that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zilla30066
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - comma seperate input

What is a good way to iterate through a variable that has values seperated by a comma? I thought about converting the commas to spaces, but that sounds inefficent to me. I am using KSH for my shell script. Thank you for any input you can provide. For example: X=55,22,34,61,18 for i in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike_the_Man
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a ksh in bg after passing input

Hello, I've got a KSH which I use to monitor processes then email me when complete. I pass the process name to the script and the update interval. Does anyone know how I can get this to execute in the background. I can't use 'scriptname &' as it starts in the background before reading in my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH] Creating automatic variable from read input

Hello there, I am posting to seek help with a KSH script, I am making a simple calculation program where the user can enter as many numbers as they like, I am getting their input using the read command, however I am not sure how to repeat doing this and storing the input in to new variables... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandapowerbox
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read multiple input from CLI :ksh

Hi folks.. i got a requirement to red multiple directories from STDIN and store them to a variable. ex:- echo "Enter directory to add:" echo " Enter directory to add:" read value till there is input and when there is no input close the read loop and store variable into an array ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bangaram
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input files and merge them in given order and write them to input one param or one file

Dear Friends, I am looking for a shell script to merge input files into one file .. here is my idea: 1st paramter would be outfile file (all input files content) read all input files and merge them to input param 1 ex: if I pass 6 file names to the script then 1st file name as output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyd1234
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input from Keyboard, do not proceed if no input

Hi, I am working on a script, which requests users to enter input. Ex: read -p "Please enter your email id:" email I don't want users skipping this entry, this has to be mandatory.I dont want to proceed without input. I can do a check if variable $email is empty and proceed if not.But, i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindadla
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh loop to read input until QUIT

Hi I'm looking to write a simple ksh loop reading user input (and write it to a file) until the user enters QUIT at which point I want it to continue. Does anyone have an example of this type of loop? Any help much appreciated Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - Read input from file and output CSV i same row

Hello I have the following output and want the output to look: FROM: GigabitEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up 1 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 1 overrun, 0 ignored 275 output errors, 0 collisions, 3 interface resets GigabitEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayJay2018
4 Replies