Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Need support for a shell scripting problem Post 303000370 by vbe on Tuesday 11th of July 2017 08:17:19 AM
Old 07-11-2017
Thread closed, no double posting is allowed

Please continue here:
Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell scripting problem

her i am trying to edit a database file which is actually a small file holding my friend's name and birthdays My Database DEEPAK 27/08 DEEPIKA 18/02 DHYAN 23/03 DIPANKAR 24/10 SNIGDHO 19/05 AYANNAR 17/12 BHAI 22/09 DEBAN 16/08 JAGADISH 02/06 SUBHOJIT 23/02 TOJO 17/09 SUDHIR 12/09... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

roles and responsibilites in unix shell scripting as a production support consultant

what are the roles and responsibilites in unix shell scripting as a production support consultant in oracle database (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem - gnome terminal shell scripting

I've a python script named rwe.py. I'm running the program in three separate terminals. If one of the executing program stops . I want to leave the terminal as it is so that i can see the error. i wrote a the below script and used cron to run it every one hour to check if the three programs are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: msteve2002
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting and ls -1 problem

Hey, I'm running knoppix and I'm trying to run a shell script to change multiple lines of text in multiple files #!/bin/sh for i in 'ls-1 test' do sed 's/bob/manny/'g $i > $i.0 mv $i.0 $i done Obviously this isn't the original file, but it's on another non-networked machine. What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: afroCluster
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting problem

Hi guys, I am a newbie to shell scripting.Please help me to accomplish this task. Its very urgent,I should create a script which will do the following: i) "cd ~joseph/ ; mkdir -p Bing/Bong ;mkdir -p Bing/Bang" and then create 15 ".txt" files with content "Bing Bang Bong" in "Bong"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahesh_raghu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in loops in shell scripting

Hi, #!/bin/ksh $v="" for ((i = 1 ; i <= 5 ; i++ )) do v="THerrFile_$i.err"; grep -i "$i:Error" $v >>oraerror_output.txt done My requirement is to dynamically create variable like THerrFile_1.err,THerrFile_2.err etc. where my grep needs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir_83k
5 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Scripting Problem...

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Hello all,,, I am trying to finish my assignment for my CNET class. I am running into 2 problems... First the "Delete a file" (Option 1) When I run this option everything... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozman911
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting newbie problem

I am trying to create a shell script similar to ls, but which only lists directories. I have the first half working (no argument version), but trying to make it accept an argument, I am failing. My logic is sound I think, but I'm missing something on the syntax, I'm guessing in the bolded line? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tibor63
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting awk Problem

I'm limited in my skills related to *nix and I'm even more limited in my skills related to shell scripting and the use of awk. I have what should be a relatively simple shell script that looks in the /etc/fstab to see if a particular partition exists on the Linux system. The intention of this part... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DisabledVet
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting problem

Hello. I hava homework for university but i cant do it and i need a little help if someone can help me :) I have to do a linux shell script. Write a script that does the following: 1. Check if there is a directory in / home with myDir name. If not, it creates it. 2. In the directory it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex4o0o
1 Replies
RHINO(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RHINO(1)

NAME
rhino - invokes the JavaScript shell for running scripts in batch mode or interactive SYNOPSIS
rhino [options] script_filename_or_url [script_arguments] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the rhino command. rhino is a start script for the rhino JavaScript shell which provides a simple way to run scripts in batch mode or an interactive environ- ment for exploratory programming. OPTIONS
-e script_source Executes script_source as a JavaScript script. -f script_filename_or_url Reads script_filename_or_url content and execute it as a JavaScript script. -opt, -O optLevel Optimizes at level optLevel, which must be an integer between 0 and 9. -version versionNumber Specifies the language version to compile with. The string versionNumber must be one of 100, 110, 120, 130, or 140. See JavaScript Language Versions for more information on language versions. PREDEFINED PROPERTIES
Scripts executing in the shell have access to some additional properties of the top-level object. arguments The arguments object is an array containing the strings of all the arguments given at the command line when the shell was invoked. help() Executing the help function will print usage and help messages. defineClass(className) Define an extension using the Java class named with the string argument className. Uses ScriptableObject.defineClass() to define the extension. deserialize(filename) Restore from the specified file an object previously written by a call to serialize. load([filename,...]) Load JavaScript source files named by string arguments. If multiple arguments are given, each file is read in and executed in turn. loadClass(className) Load and execute the class named by the string argument className. The class must be a class that implements the Script interface, as will any script compiled by jsc. print([expr...]) Evaluate and print expressions. Evaluates each expression, converts the result to a string, and prints it. readFile(path[,characterCoding]) Read given file and convert its bytes to a string using the specified character coding or default character coding if explicit cod- ing argument is not given. readUrl(url[,characterCoding]) Open an input connection to the given string url, read all its bytes and convert them to a string using the specified character cod- ing or default character coding if explicit coding argument is not given. runCommand(commandName,[arg,...][options]) Execute the specified command with the given argument and options as a separate process and return the exit status of the process. For details, see JavaDoc for org.mozilla.javascript.tools.shell.Global#runCommand. serialize(object,filename) Serialize the given object to the specified file. spawn(functionOrScript) Run the given function or script in a different thread. sync(function) creates a synchronized function (in the sense of a Java synchronized method) from an existing function. The new function synchro- nizes on the this object of its invocation. quit() Quit shell. The shell will also quit in interactive mode if an end-of-file character is typed at the prompt. version([number]) Get or set JavaScript version number. If no argument is supplied, the current version number is returned. If an argument is sup- plied, it is expected to be one of 100, 110, 120, 130, or 140 to indicate JavaScript version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 respec- tively. SEE ALSO
The online documentation under http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/shell.html <http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/shell.html> AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Wolfgang Baer <WBaer@gmx.de>. February 12, 2005 RHINO(1)