Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable in not resolving in sed Post 303000164 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 5th of July 2017 12:34:24 PM
Old 07-05-2017
Another way would be to replace the single quotes with double ones
Code:
sed "s/${var1}.*/${var2}/g"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS not resolving

I have configured my solaris 9 box to obtain a IP from the DHCP server which is on windows, I have also set up the DNS with domain name and name servers under /etc/resolv.conf I can ping a ip address I just cant seem to ping hostnames, theres probaly something im not doing. I have looked through... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help in resolving Compilation error

state_field state_abvr = { "AL","ALABAMA", "AK","ALASKA", "AZ","ARIZONA", "AR","ARKANSAS", "CA","CALIFORNIA", "CO","COLORADO", "CT","CONNECTICUT", "DE","DELAWARE", "DC","DISTRICT-OF-COLUMBIA", "FL","FLORIDA", "GA","GEORGIA", "HI","HAWAII", "ID","IDAHO", "IL","ILLINOIS",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagan_kalluri
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolving Var to its contents

Hello everyone.... I am trying to dinamically create variable names and do resolution of this vars contents. After that is done I want to use (via a function call) the var and its contents by referring to it via the variable name. I am having a hard time achieving this .... can you help ? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolving the environment variable from a file

Hi, I an having some environment variables exported and the variable name is present in the file. But its not resolving with following commands. Can someone throw some light. db $ grep -v "^#" TD_FWK_NUCLEUS.dbc | grep -v "^$" | xargs -i echo {} wb_bin: ${TD_FWK_NUCLEUS_DBC_WB_BIN_TAG} I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed Rafi
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help for resolving Unexpected EOF while assigning value to variable

#!/bin/sh . /opt/ora/oracle/db/tech_st/11.2.3/PROD_proddb.env sqlplus -s "username/password" << EOF no='sqlplus -s username/password<<EOF set heading off set feedback off Select pt.user_concurrent_program_name report_name , OUTFILE_NAME report_path FROm apps.fnd_concurrent_programs_tl... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: usman_oracle
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Resolving the UNIX path variable

Friends, I trying to get the unix path fro a config file. There are 100 + path variables defined in the master_config.sh. Like this ; app_dir=/project/emp abc_dir=${app_dir}/abc/app abc_common=${abc_dir}/common abc_common_base=${abc_common}/base... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunv123
2 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)