Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD Bootable usb-stick, need help, sos Post 302999858 by Trihexagonal on Wednesday 28th of June 2017 11:44:55 PM
Old 06-29-2017
You've managed to make something that is really quite simple very complicated.

To format a USB stick into FAT:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=2m count=1
fdisk -BI /dev/da0
newfs_msdos /dev/da0s1

It's a good idea to do this any time you buy a new flash drive.

To create a bootable USB stick first CD into the directory the .img file you want to work with is in. (I have also used this method to make a bootable USB stick from a Kali and a Debian .iso file.)

Now use the following command:

Code:
dd if=./distro.img of=/dev/da0 bs=512k

That's all there is to it. You almost had it the first time but were not using BSD naming scheme on your GhostBSD box.

I realize this is an older thread but wanted to clear that up.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

bootable USB Stick || Fedora 8

Hello Everybody I am planning to install Fedora core 8 on an extra PC I have; what I wanna do is to boot from a USB stick then install Fedora from an ISO image I already have via FTP. Could any one tell me how to create bootable USB Stick for Fedora as I already found how to install from FTP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_nasr2001
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Aix usb stick

I have a P-Series Machine running AIX 5.3, it has a USB Port on the front of the server, can I use a USB Stick on AIX platforms?? if so how..:rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BEVAN
2 Replies

3. BSD

Detecting usb stick in freebsd

I inserted a 8GB usb stick in a number of machine with FreeBSD 7.1, but the medium was not detected: $ dmesg | grep MB usable memory = 4263022592 (4065 MB) avail memory = 4082540544 (3893 MB) pci0: <serial bus, SMBus> at device 31.3 (no driver attached) ad0: 238475MB <WDC WD2500BEVT-00ZCT0... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
6 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mount USB stick...

Dummies questions, perfect for this. I cannot mount my idiotic usb stick on Slackware, I input the following on non-graphic mode as root: Mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1/usbstick usbstick is the folder i created for mounting my USB, the file system is FAT, and everytime I input that I get some kind... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dax01
2 Replies

5. BSD

Mounting a USB stick in FreeBSD

When mounting a USB stick or pen drive on a FreeBSD machine I always issue the following command: mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt Something I have always wondered is what the option msdosfs stands for and more importantly, why it is necessary. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 usb stick -> 2 mounted devices

Hello, i am using a solaris thinclient that tries to connecting to a terminalserver. (RDP) Everything works fine, but the usb redirection. If i put in a usb stick i always get 2 usb-drives mounted. If i look in /tmp/SUNWut/mnt/<name of the host> i see 2 devices. One with the name of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anarcy
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Ubuntu on USB stick?

Hey Guys I have an Ubuntu CD and I was thinking of creating like a bootable hard drive with various OS so that I can just boot OSs with t drive and not require the CDs. I was just wondering is there a way I can do this, like have Ubuntu boot from a USB stick? If yes how is that possible(even if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbansal2
3 Replies

8. SCO

Mount USB stick

hi Howto mount an USB stick under SCO 5.0.7? BTW ist it possible to mount USB stick in the command line using 'tools' at the Boot: prompt from OpenServer Release 5.0.7 installation CD? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccc
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Installing UBUNTU on USB stick

I'd like to install the OS on my stick. I would like to be able to save my works there and install apps or customize the OS. What can I do Ps. At home I use an iMac, but in the school where I work there are only PC... Ty (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fabio_Puricelli
2 Replies

10. SCO

How to use USB Stick in UNIXware?

I am trying to use a USB (Pen?) drive on Unixware 7.1.4. The USB stick is in the machine and the machine recognises it when I enter usbprobe as follows: Path - Address Description ----------------------------- +++++++ BUS #2 0 - 1 - HUB "UHCI Root Hub" 1 - 2 - HID "Chicony Wireless Device"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BernP
1 Replies
BSDLABEL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       BSDLABEL(8)

NAME
bsdlabel -- read and write BSD label SYNOPSIS
bsdlabel [-A] disk | -f file bsdlabel -w [-An] [-B [-b boot]] [-m machine] disk | -f file [type] bsdlabel -e [-An] [-B [-b boot]] [-m machine] disk | -f file bsdlabel -R [-An] [-B [-b boot]] [-m machine] [-f] disk | -f file protofile DESCRIPTION
The bsdlabel utility installs, examines or modifies the BSD label on a disk partition, or on a file containing a partition image. In addi- tion, bsdlabel can install bootstrap code. Disk Device Name When specifying the device (i.e., when the -f option is not used), the /dev/ path prefix may be omitted; the bsdlabel utility will automati- cally prepend it. General Options The -A option enables processing of the historical parts of the BSD label. If the option is not given, suitable values are set for these fields. The -f option tells bsdlabel that the program will operate on a file instead of a disk partition. The -n option stops the bsdlabel program right before the disk would have been modified, and displays the result instead of writing it. The -m machine argument forces bsdlabel to use a layout suitable for a different architecture. Current valid values are i386, amd64, and pc98. If this option is omitted, bsdlabel will use a layout suitable for the current machine. Reading the Disk Label To examine the label on a disk drive, use the form bsdlabel [-A] [-m machine] disk disk represents the disk in question, and may be in the form da0 or /dev/da0. It will display the partition layout. Writing a Standard Label To write a standard label, use the form bsdlabel -w [-An] [-m machine] disk [type] If the drive type is specified, the entry of that name in the disktab(5) file is used; otherwise, or if the type is specified as 'auto', a default layout is used. Editing an Existing Disk Label To edit an existing disk label, use the form bsdlabel -e [-An] [-m machine] disk This command opens the disk label in the default editor, and when the editor exits, the label is validated and if OK written to disk. Restoring a Disk Label From a File To restore a disk label from a file, use the form bsdlabel -R [-An] [-m machine] disk protofile The bsdlabel utility is capable of restoring a disk label that was previously saved in a file in ASCII format. The prototype file used to create the label should be in the same format as that produced when reading or editing a label. Comments are delimited by '#' and newline. Installing Bootstraps If the -B option is specified, bootstrap code will be read from the file /boot/boot and written to the disk. The -b boot option allows a different file to be used. FILES
/boot/boot Default boot image. /etc/disktab Disk description file. SAVED FILE FORMAT
The bsdlabel utility uses an ASCII version of the label when examining, editing, or restoring a disk label. The format is: 8 partitions: # size offset fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg] a: 81920 16 4.2BSD 2048 16384 5128 b: 1091994 81936 swap c: 1173930 0 unused 0 0 # "raw" part, don't edit If the -A option is specified, the format is: # /dev/da1c: type: SCSI disk: da0s1 label: flags: bytes/sector: 512 sectors/track: 51 tracks/cylinder: 19 sectors/cylinder: 969 cylinders: 1211 sectors/unit: 1173930 rpm: 3600 interleave: 1 trackskew: 0 cylinderskew: 0 headswitch: 0 # milliseconds track-to-track seek: 0 # milliseconds drivedata: 0 8 partitions: # size offset fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg] a: 81920 16 4.2BSD 1024 8192 16 b: 160000 81936 swap c: 1173930 0 unused 0 0 # "raw" part, don't edit Lines starting with a '#' mark are comments. The partition table can have up to 8 entries. It contains the following information: # The partition identifier is a single letter in the range 'a' to 'h'. By convention, partition 'c' is reserved to describe the entire disk. size The size of the partition in sectors, K (kilobytes - 1024), M (megabytes - 1024*1024), G (gigabytes - 1024*1024*1024), % (percentage of free space after removing any fixed-size partitions other than partition 'c'), or * (all remaining free space after fixed-size and percentage partitions). For partition 'c', a size of * indicates the entire disk. Lowercase versions of suffixes K, M, and G are allowed. Size and suffix should be specified without any spaces between them. Example: 2097152, 1G, 1024M and 1048576K are all the same size (assuming 512-byte sectors). offset The offset of the start of the partition from the beginning of the drive in sectors, or * to have bsdlabel calculate the correct off- set to use (the end of the previous partition plus one, ignoring partition 'c'). For partition 'c', * will be interpreted as an off- set of 0. The first partition should start at offset 16, because the first 16 sectors are reserved for metadata. fstype Describes the purpose of the partition. The above example shows all currently used partition types. For UFS file systems and ccd(4) partitions, use type 4.2BSD. For Vinum drives, use type vinum. Other common types are swap and unused. By convention, partition 'c' represents the entire slice and should be of type unused, though bsdlabel does not enforce this convention. The bsdlabel utility also knows about a number of other partition types, none of which are in current use. (See the definitions starting with FS_UNUSED in <sys/disklabel.h> for more details.) fsize For 4.2BSD file systems only, the fragment size; see newfs(8). bsize For 4.2BSD file systems only, the block size; see newfs(8). bps/cpg For 4.2BSD file systems, the number of cylinders in a cylinder group; see newfs(8). EXAMPLES
Display the label for the first slice of the da0 disk, as obtained via /dev/da0s1: bsdlabel da0s1 Save the in-core label for da0s1 into the file savedlabel. This file can be used with the -R option to restore the label at a later date: bsdlabel da0s1 > savedlabel Create a label for da0s1: bsdlabel -w /dev/da0s1 Read the label for da0s1, edit it, and install the result: bsdlabel -e da0s1 Read the on-disk label for da0s1, edit it, and display what the new label would be (in sectors). It does not install the new label either in-core or on-disk: bsdlabel -e -n da0s1 Write a default label on da0s1. Use another bsdlabel -e command to edit the partitioning and file system information: bsdlabel -w da0s1 Restore the on-disk and in-core label for da0s1 from information in savedlabel: bsdlabel -R da0s1 savedlabel Display what the label would be for da0s1 using the partition layout in label_layout. This is useful for determining how much space would be allotted for various partitions with a labeling scheme using %-based or * partition sizes: bsdlabel -R -n da0s1 label_layout Install a new bootstrap on da0s1. The boot code comes from /boot/boot: bsdlabel -B da0s1 Install a new label and bootstrap. The bootstrap code comes from the file newboot in the current working directory: bsdlabel -w -B -b newboot /dev/da0s1 Completely wipe any prior information on the disk, creating a new bootable disk with a DOS partition table containing one slice, covering the whole disk. Initialize the label on this slice, then edit it. The dd(1) commands are optional, but may be necessary for some BIOSes to properly recognize the disk: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=512 count=32 fdisk -BI da0 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0s1 bs=512 count=32 bsdlabel -w -B da0s1 bsdlabel -e da0s1 This is an example disk label that uses some of the new partition size types such as %, M, G, and *, which could be used as a source file for ``bsdlabel -R ada0s1 new_label_file'': # /dev/ada0s1: 8 partitions: # size offset fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg] a: 400M 16 4.2BSD 4096 16384 75 # (Cyl. 0 - 812*) b: 1G * swap c: * * unused e: 204800 * 4.2BSD f: 5g * 4.2BSD g: * * 4.2BSD DIAGNOSTICS
The kernel device drivers will not allow the size of a disk partition to be decreased or the offset of a partition to be changed while it is open. COMPATIBILITY
Due to the use of an uint32_t to store the number of sectors, BSD labels are restricted to a maximum of 2^32-1 sectors. This usually means 2TB of disk space. Larger disks should be partitioned using another method such as gpart(8). The various BSDs all use slightly different versions of BSD labels and are not generally compatible. SEE ALSO
ccd(4), geom(4), md(4), disktab(5), boot0cfg(8), fdisk(8), gpart(8), newfs(8) BSD
October 1, 2013 BSD