Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Appending a column in xlsx file using Python Post 302999622 by durden_tyler on Friday 23rd of June 2017 12:13:43 PM
Old 06-23-2017
Hmm... the indentation seems a bit awry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nans
Code:
import os
from openpyxl import load_workbook
from datetime import datetime
import csv

# Variables
sheet_directory = r'/home/test'
text_directory = r'/home/test'

# Subroutines
def get_text_data(txt_filename):
    dict_pos = {}
    first_line = True
    with open('scores.txt') as txt_filename:
        tab_reader = csv.reader(txt_filename, delimiter='\t')
        for line in tab_reader:
            if first_line:
                first_line = False
                continue
                line = line.rstrip('\n')  #Move the lines in red one level out
                x = line.split('\t')
                dict_pos[x[0]] = x[3]
                #print dict_pos          #Move the lines in blue three levels out
                return dict_pos

def process_xl_sheets():
    for sheet_root, sheet_dirs, sheet_files in os.walk(sheet_directory):
        for sheet_file in sheet_files:
            if sheet_file.endswith('.xlsx'):
                dpos = get_text_data(sheet_file.replace('.xlsx', '.txt'))
                sheet_xl_file = os.path.join(sheet_root, sheet_file)
                wb = load_workbook(sheet_xl_file, data_only=True)
                ws = wb.get_sheet_by_name('raw_data')
                pos_col_no = 'F'
                score_col_no = 'V'
                row_no = 4
                cell = ws[pos_col_no + str(row_no)]
                while cell.value:
                    if str(cell.value) in dpos:
                        ws[score_col_no + str(row_no)] = dpos[str(cell.value)]
                    else:
                        ws[score_col_no + str(row_no)] = 'Unknown_' + datetime.now().strftime("%B") + datetime.now().strftime("%Y")
                        row_no += 1
                        cell = ws[pos_col_no + str(row_no)]
                        wb.save(sheet_xl_file)

# Main section
process_xl_sheets()

Here's my code for reference. Check the indentation level and the comments:

Code:
# Subroutines
def get_text_data(txt_filename):
    dict_pos = {}
    first_line = True
    for text_root, text_dirs, text_files in os.walk(text_directory):
        for text_file in text_files:
            if text_file == txt_filename:
                # A matching text file was found
                fh = open(os.path.join(text_root, text_file))
                for line in fh:
                    # Skip the header; read the data into the dictionary
                    if first_line:                 # One level inside "for line" loop
                        first_line = False         # One level inside "for line" loop, one level inside "if first_line" branch
                        continue                   # One level inside "for line" loop, one level inside "if first_line" branch
                    line = line.rstrip('\n')       # One level inside "for line" loop
                    x = line.split('\t')           # One level inside "for line" loop
                    dict_pos[x[0]] = x[3]          # One level inside "for line" loop
    return dict_pos                                # One level inside "def"; this is at subroutine level

In your code, the value of "first_line" is True the first time it enters the subroutine and subsequently the first line of "tab_reader".
You then set it to False and then everything else is done inside that "if" branch.
From the second line of "tab_reader" onwards, the control will never go inside the "if" branch because it was set to False in the first line.

---------- Post updated at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:08 PM ----------

Also check the level of "wb.save()" in your code. It should be at the same level as "while cell.value".
This User Gave Thanks to durden_tyler For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a column in one file to the corresponding line in a second

It appears that this has been asked and answered in similar fashions previously, but I am still unsure how to approach this. I have two files containing user information: fileA ttim:/home/ttim:Tiny Tim:632 ppinto:/home/ppinto:Pam Pinto:633 fileB ttim:xkfgjkd*&#^jhdfh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suzannef
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending 'string' to file as first column.

Hi , I have the below file with 6 columns.I want to append 'File1' as the 1 column to the file. i have the sample code .It is not working . can u please correct this or make new one ..... awk 'print {'File1',$1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6}' Source_File> Result_File Source_File:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyam_sat
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending column file

Hi all, I have two files with the same number of lines the first file is a.dat and looks like 0.000 1.000 1.000 2.000 ... the fields are tab separated the second file is b.dat and looks like 1.2347 0.546 2.3564 0.321 ... the fields are tab separated I would like to have a file c.dat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending date value mmdd to first column in file

Hi , I have a file with a running sequence number. I need to append a date value mmdd format on to the first column. for e.g.: The file contains records as 001 abc 002 cde 003 edf 004 fgh 005 hik The output should be 1111001 abc 1111002 cde 1111003 edf 1111004 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalyansid
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending new column to existing files

Hi, i want to add another column to existing files containing strings and need to have the final output as a csv file. i have quite a number of files, each with varying number of rows and i need to append the string "test" for all the valid rows for each file. my sample raw files looks like this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending a column of numbers in ascending order to a text file

I have a text file where I want to append a column of numbers in ascending orders. Input: 57 abc 25 def 32 ghi 54 jkl Output:57 abc 57 abc 1 25 def 2 32 ghi 3 54 jkl 4 How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending column to rows

Hi All, Input.txt KGO Id "003" .......... .......... Par "CPara" BIN RECGET Name "DIR_PATH" Prompt "DIR_PATH" END RECGET KGO ............ .......... ............... KGO Id "077" .......... .......... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: unme
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending = in particular column in csv file

Hi, I have a requirement to append = in particular row in csv file. Data in csv is as follow: row1,a,a,a row2,b,b,b row3,c,c,c row4,d,d,d csv should be modified at row3 and no. of columns are not fixed but rows are. output should be as: row1,a,a,a row2,b,b,b row3,=c,=c,=c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya1987
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python soap and string to .xlsx conversion

Hi experts - I'm relatively new to python, but I have an requirement to automate getting a file from a WebLib server using an API. The file I'm requesting from this sever is an excel spreadsheet (.xlsx). I get a valid response back via an xml doc from the server. In this xml file I get... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to insert data into black column( Secound Column ) in excel (.XLSX) file using shell script?

Source Code of the original script is down below please run the script and try to solve this problem this is my data and I want it column wise 2019-03-20 13:00:00:000 2019-03-20 15:00:00:000 1 Operating System LAB 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shubham1182
5 Replies