Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Remove line breaks and extra spaces Post 302999583 by rsi.245 on Thursday 22nd of June 2017 06:31:20 PM
Old 06-22-2017
tried this on my text file but it gave me this issue:

Code:
awk: line 1: regular expression compile failed (missing '(')
.]), ?$

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 06-22-2017 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove the extra spaces in unix

Hi... I am quite new to Unix and would like an issue to be resolved. I have a file in the format below; 4,Reclaim,ECXTEST02,abc123,Harry Potter,5432 6730 0327 5469,0603,,MC,,1200,EUR,sho-001,,1,,,abc123,1223 I would like my output to be as follows; 4,Reclaim,ECXTEST02,abc123,Harry... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sho
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove extra spaces in a line

Hi, I need a help in deleting extra spaces in a text. I have a huge file, a part of it is :- 3 09/21/08 03:32:07 started undef mino Oracle nmx004.wwdc.numonyx.com Message Text : The Oracle session with the PID 1103 has a CPU time ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

any better way to remove line breaks

Hi, I got some log files which print the whole xml message in separate lines: e.g. 2008-10-01 14:21:44,561 INFO do something 2008-10-01 14:21:44,561 INFO print xml : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <a> <b>my data</b> </a> 2008-10-01 14:21:44,563 INFO do something again I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csmklee
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove extra spaces between fields

Hi, I have a source file as mentioned below: I want to remove all the extra spaces between the fields. a b--------|sa df-------|3232---|3 sf sa------|afs sdf-----|43-----|33 a b c------|adfsa dsf---|23-32|23 *Here '-' idicates spaces Now, I want output as below: a b|sa df|3232|3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove extra spaces from a string??

Hi, I have a string like this and i want to remove extra spaces that exists between the words. Here is the sentence. $string="The small DNA genome of hepadnaviruses is replicated by reverse transcription via an RNA intermediate. This RNA "pregenome" contains ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove of extra spaces from the trailing

HI, I need the help from the experts like I have created one file with text like: a b c d e f g h i j k l So my question is that i have to write the script in which like in the first sentence it will take only one space after d and remove all the extra space in the end.I dont... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhanudhingra
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line breaks after a match

I need to remove all line breaks in a document after a match, until there is a blank line. Example below, after the match "THE GREEN TABLE" remove line breaks until a blank line. Then, after the match "THE BLUE TABLE" do the same. Before: THE GREEN TABLE Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dockline
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line breaks and extra spaces between patterns

Hi, if in between strings "<section" and "</section>" across multiple lines there occurs the string "ole-present", delete all line breaks and replace any tabs or multiple spaces with a single space. Looking for an AWK or SED solution. Thank you. <section ... status = "ole-present" ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pioavi
2 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

To remove the extra spaces at the end of each line in a file

I have a file of about 10k records and eace line is having an extra space of 5 byte at the end.. Iwant to remove the extra spaces at the end of each line.. Can someone please help me out.. I tried using sed command and its not working... can someone please help me out. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammohan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove single-line breaks only in document

Regarding copy/pasted text of copyright-free book from archive.org (link below), in attempt to expand single-line-break paragraph text (not section headings or paragraph breaks) to wider right margin, Justify or Wrap in LIbreOffice is not working, and Find/Replace the paragraph mark ($) wraps all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: p1ne
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)