Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Character screening and paste into new file in columns instead of rows Post 302999080 by RudiC on Tuesday 13th of June 2017 04:18:45 AM
Old 06-13-2017
Like so?
Code:
awk '{printf "%s%s", /^%/?"\t":TRS, $0; TRS = ORS}   END {printf ORS}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to changes rows to columns in a file

Hi, I have a small requirement in chainging the rows to columns. The below example.txt contains info as shown Name:Person1 Age:30 Name:Person2 Age:40 Name:Person3 Age:50 I want to make it displayed as hown below Name:Person1 Age:30 Name:person2 Age:40 Name:Person3 Age:50 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracle123
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Columns to Rows in a File

Hi I have a input file in the format ABC,111,2008Q2, 49K ABC,111,2008Q3, 0K ABC,111,2008Q4, 0K ABC,222,2008Q2, 49K ABC,222,2008Q3, 0K ABC,222,2008Q4, 0K XYZ,111,2008Q2, 49K XYZ,111,2008Q3, 0K XYZ,111,2008Q4, 0K XYZ,222,2008Q2, 49K XYZ,222,2008Q3, 0K XYZ,222,2008Q4, 0K The output file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrismt
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rows to Columns - File Transpose

Hi I have an input file and I want to transpose it but I need to take care that if any field is missing for a record it should be popoulated with space for that field - using a shell script INFILE ---------- emp=1 sal=2 loc=abc emp=2 sal=21 sal=22 loc=xyz emp=5 loc=abc OUTFILE... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 46019
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large file - columns into rows etc

I have done a couple of searches on this and have found many threads but I don't think I've found one that is useful to me - probably because I have very basic comprehension of perl and beginners shell so trying to manipulate a script already posted maybe beyond my capabilities.... Anyway - I... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: Myrona
26 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy and Paste Columns in a Tab-Limited Text file

I have this text file with a very large number of columns (10,000+) and I want to move the first column to the position of the six column so that the text file looks like this: Before cutting and pasting ID Family Mother Father Trait Phenotype aaa bbb ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste second columns from files to its corresponding file

Hi All, I have two sets of files. One set with extension .txt This set has file names with numbers like these. 1.txt, 2.txt, 3.txt until extactly 100.txt. The .txt files look like these: 0.38701788 93750 0.38622013 94456 0.38350296 94440 0.38282126 94057 0.38282126 94439 0.35847232... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert columns to rows in a file

Hello, I have a huge tab delimited file with around 40,000 columns and 900 rows I want to convert columns to a row. INPUT file look like this. the first line is a headed of a file. ID marker1 marker2 marker3 marker4 b1 A G A C ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryan9011
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all the fields(columns) from a .csv file if all rows in that columns are blanks

Hi Friends, I have come across some files where some of the columns don not have data. Key, Data1,Data2,Data3,Data4,Data5 A,5,6,,10,, A,3,4,,3,, B,1,,4,5,, B,2,,3,4,, If we see the above data on Data5 column do not have any row got filled. So remove only that column(Here Data5) and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a character of specified column(s) of all rows in a file

Hi - I have a file "file1" of below format. Its a comma seperated file. Note that each string is enclosed in double quotes. "abc","-0.15","10,000.00","IJK" "xyz","1,000.01","1,000,000.50","OPR" I want the result as: "abc","-0.15","10000.00","IJK" "xyz","1,000.01","1000000.50","OPR" I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: njny
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Character screening and paste into newfile in columns instead of rows

QL10169_SAUJANA%SubNetwork=ONRM_ROOT_MO_R,SubNetwork=ERBS_KCRN11,MeContext=QL10169_SAUJANA_5 %External_Link_Failure %X2_link_problem_to_one_or_several_neighbouring_eNodeBs. QL10187_MATANG_JAYA_2%SubNetwork=ONRM_ROOT_MO_R,SubNetwork=ERBS_KUCHING,MeContext=QL10187_MATANG_JAYA_2_3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankit Vyas
2 Replies
border(3XCURSES)					  X/Open Curses Library Functions					  border(3XCURSES)

NAME
border, box, wborder - add a single-byte border to a window SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int border(chtype ls, chtype rs, chtype ts, chtype bs, chtype tl, chtype tr, chtype bl, chtype br); int wborder(WINDOW *win, chtype ls, chtype rs, chtype ts, chtype bs, chtype tl, chtype tr, chtype bl, chtype br); int box(WINDOW *win, chtype verch, chtype horch); DESCRIPTION
The border() and wborder() functions draw a border around the specified window. All parameters must be single-byte characters whose rendi- tion can be expressed using only constants beginning with ACS_. A parameter with the value of 0 is replaced by the default value. +--------------------------------------------------------------+ | Constant Values for Borders | |Parameter Default Constant Default Character | |verch ACS_VLINE | | |horch ACS_HLINE - | |ls ACS_VLINE | | |rs ACS_VLINE | | |ts ACS_HLINE - | |bs ACS_HLINE - | |bl ACS_BLCORNER + | |br ACS_BRCORNER + | |tl ACS_ULCORNER + | |tr ACS_URCORNER + | +--------------------------------------------------------------+ The call box(win, verch, horch) is a short form for wborder(win, verch, verch, horch, horch, 0, 0, 0, 0) When the window is boxed, the bottom and top rows and right and left columns overwrite existing text. PARAMETERS
ls Is the character and rendition used for the left side of the border. rs Is the character and rendition used for the right side of the border. ts Is the character and rendition used for the top of the border. bs Is the character and rendition used for the bottom of the border. tl Is the character and rendition used for the top-left corner of the border. tr Is the character and rendition used for the top-right corner of the border. bl Is the character and rendition used for the bottom-left corner of the border. br Is the character and rendition used for the bottom-right corner of the border. win Is the pointer to the window in which the border or box is to be drawn. verch Is the character and rendition used for the left and right columns of the box. horch Is the character and rendition used for the top and bottom rows of the box. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
None. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
add_wch(3XCURSES), addch(3XCURSES), attr_get(3XCURSES), attroff(3XCURSES), border_set(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), attributes(5), stan- dards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 border(3XCURSES)