Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String parsing help across multiple UNIX platforms Post 302998846 by drl on Thursday 8th of June 2017 03:31:31 PM
Old 06-08-2017
Hi, harleyvrodred.

Welcome to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyvrodred
...I need something that'll work from a shell script on old and new systems. ...
I'd be inclined to look at perl.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Patch Management over mixed unix platforms

Does anyone know of any tools that manage the rollout of patches across multiple types of Unix platform ( eg Solaris, Aix etc ). I am looking for something that does a similiar job to SMS or WSUS in the Windows world (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of file for Report Generation (String parsing and splitting)

Hey guys, I have this file generated by me... i want to create some HTML output from it. The problem is that i am really confused about how do I go about reading the file. The file is in the following format: TID1 Name1 ATime=xx AResult=yyy AExpected=yyy BTime=xx BResult=yyy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umar.shaikh
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Platforms

Hi. Where can i learn, Which Unix platform specific for what? Properties? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Enrgy
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Platforms using Unix

Hi ;) Which hardware platforms/machine types use the Operating System Unix? A list of all would be appreaciated Thx Megadrink :cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Megadrink
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfile parsing with variable, multiple criterias among multiple lines

Hi all I've been working on a bash script parsing through debug/trace files and extracting all lines that relate to some search string. So far, it works pretty well. However, I am challenged by one requirement that is still open. What I want to do: 1) parse through a file and identify all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reminder
3 Replies

6. Programming

How do I find the MAC address in C on different UNIX platforms?

I need to find the MAC address of the ethernet cards on the host machine from the C language. I have found a way to do this on Linux using socket(), ioctl() and the ifreq structure. But this does not seem to work on AIX, HP/UX and probably the others I need (Solaris, SCO, Alpha etc). Is there a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pug
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

string parsing using UNIX

I got multple sql files.such as >>vi abc.sql select A.SITENAME, NULL NULL A.CREATE_DTM NULL A.MODIFY_DTM NULL FROM ${STG_RET_ITEM} A INNER JOIN ${STG_INC_COMP} B ON (A.CUSTID=B.CUSTID) LEFT OUTER JOIN ( select C.SITEID,SITESTATUS,MIN_EFF_DT,CURR_ST_DT,MAX_IN_DT,MAX_ACT_DT from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multichecks across all unix platforms

Can somebody refer me following multicheck to perform across most of unix platform like AIX, HP-UX, solaris, Linux. CPU utilization above X% Check IO above X% Swap usage check above X% Memory utilization above X% ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendtoshailesh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specific string parsing in Linux/UNIX

Hi, I have a string which can be completely unstructred. I am looking to parse out values within that String. Here is an example <Random Strings> String1=<some number a> String2=<some number b> String3=<some number c> Satish=<some number d> String4=<some number e> I only want to parse out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satishrao
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing OSX UNIX command results which print in multiple lines

from the CLI on a Mac, if you type networksetup -listallnetworkservices then you get results in a multi-line paragraph that look something like this: networksetup -listallnetworkservices An asterisk (*) denotes that a network service is disabled. Wi-Fi Display Ethernet Bluetooth DUN... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hungryd
7 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)