Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Help with AT&T UNIX SYSTEM V Version 4 Console Login Post 302998081 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 24th of May 2017 11:09:00 PM
Old 05-25-2017
Note also that the default erase and kill characters on SVR4 (# and @, respectively if I remember correctly) might not be the defaults you are used to on more recent systems. If your password contains either of those characters you'll need to backslash escape them when entering your password when you log in.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Login Console

Hi All, I am very new to Unix and already have a problem... My predecessor didn't note down the username and password to login to the console of an HP D Class 9000 enterprise server we have. I was wondering whether there is any way to bypass this console login screen in Unix... If not is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RMadjitey
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Version && nextfile

How can I find which version of Awk is installed? OpSystem is HPUX 11.x I am getting an error when trying to use the keyword nextfile and I dont know why! (Well, I can only assume that I have am using a version of Awk that does not support nextfile. However, according to O'Reilly, nextfile is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need information about System V & Berkley Syntax for Unix

Hi, Can somebody give me some information on System V & Berkley's Unix formats. Any link will be helpful. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

4. HP-UX

Cannot able to login on console

Hi I can neither able to login on console with my user ID nor with root user on HP-UX 9000/800 v11.11. I am putting the correct Password.While my colleague can login as his user on console. What is the reason that I can't login to console? Pl. help & thanks in advance. Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System list of all UNIX login accounts

What is the command to list all UNIX system login accounts? What is the command to list all system password parameters for UNIX(minimum length, complexity,age, invalid lockout attempts, expiration date , user inactivity lockout) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ma466
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Console Login and Telnet

Hopefully my question makes sense, but I was wondering if the telnet service has anything to do with console logins or if they are completely unrelated. So for example, does the /etc/default/login file in UNIX have anything to do with Telnet? So if I want to verify that the root user can't login... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ixauditor
8 Replies

7. AIX

Not able to login AIX server but able to login thru console.

Hi, i am able to login to AX server thru console but not able to login directly thru server. also the server is not ping-able with other server. filesystem is fine. and OS version is AIX 5.3. please let me know if you need any specific log. thx in advance. Scriptor (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enforce user to Enter text when login to a UNIX / Linux system?

Hi. I inject my tracklogin.sh script in the profile of each user. $ more .profile ./tracklogin.sh # This is the default standard profile provided to a user. MAIL=/usr/mail/${LOGNAME:?} bash-3.2$ more tracklogin.sh #!/bin/bash tdate=$(date +"%d%m%y") mkdir -p /tmp/root_log... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
20 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print Error in Console and both Error & Output in Log file - UNIX

I am writing a shell script with 2 run time arguments. During the execution if i got any error, then it needs to redirected to a error file and in console. Also both error and output to be redirected to a log file. But i am facing the below error. #! /bin/sh errExit () { errMsg=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
1 Replies
PAM_PWHISTORY(8)						 Linux-PAM Manual						  PAM_PWHISTORY(8)

NAME
pam_pwhistory - PAM module to remember last passwords SYNOPSIS
pam_pwhistory.so [debug] [use_authtok] [enforce_for_root] [remember=N] [retry=N] [authtok_type=STRING] DESCRIPTION
This module saves the last passwords for each user in order to force password change history and keep the user from alternating between the same password too frequently. This module does not work together with kerberos. In general, it does not make much sense to use this module in conjunction with NIS or LDAP, since the old passwords are stored on the local machine and are not available on another machine for password history checking. OPTIONS
debug Turns on debugging via syslog(3). use_authtok When password changing enforce the module to use the new password provided by a previously stacked password module (this is used in the example of the stacking of the pam_cracklib module documented below). enforce_for_root If this option is set, the check is enforced for root, too. remember=N The last N passwords for each user are saved in /etc/security/opasswd. The default is 10. retry=N Prompt user at most N times before returning with error. The default is 1. authtok_type=STRING See pam_get_authtok(3) for more details. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the password module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTHTOK_ERR No new password was entered, the user aborted password change or new password couldn't be set. PAM_IGNORE Password history was disabled. PAM_MAXTRIES Password was rejected too often. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User is not known to system. EXAMPLES
An example password section would be: #%PAM-1.0 password required pam_pwhistory.so password required pam_unix.so use_authtok In combination with pam_cracklib: #%PAM-1.0 password required pam_cracklib.so retry=3 password required pam_pwhistory.so use_authtok password required pam_unix.so use_authtok FILES
/etc/security/opasswd File with password history SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) pam_get_authtok(3) AUTHOR
pam_pwhistory was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@thkukuk.de> Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_PWHISTORY(8)